OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

looking to upgrade binos...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robster80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: looking to upgrade binos...
    Posted: March/14/2013 at 15:55
hey guys..looking to upgrade my binos...i own a pair of Nikon Monarch 3 ...ive used em for two season and am just ready to upgrade..i got a swaro scope and after using it and lookin thro my nikon binos theres no comparison...the nikons just get grainy when dark sets in whereas the swaro is still quite clear....my nikons are 8x42 ..lookin to get something in a 10x42 but something at least CLOSE to the swaro glass....ive read good things about the meostar HD binos...does anyone have these and how good are they? i know the cabelas euro HD is the same as well ...any other binocular recommendations will be appreciated..thanks!
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2013 at 16:12
I have them. I would guess you would be quite satisfied with them. I am.
-Matt
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2013 at 16:30
Based on a recommendation from CF2, I recently acquired the 10 x 42 Vortex Razor HD Binocs. To say I'm impressed would be an understatement. Big Grin
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2013 at 17:48
What is your budget limit?  You get into serious upgrades of the Monarch stuff with the Monarch 7.  You can go up from there through the ZEN Prime HD, Leupold McKinley HD, Zeiss Conquest HD, Meopta HD, and Razor HD.  You can top out at $1,200 or so there with the Razor and still get good glass (good glass) with the Monarch 7 at less than $500, the Prime and McKinley at $600 and have the rest split the difference at around $1,000.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

m4coyotehunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m4coyotehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2013 at 08:21
If you use your binos handheld, I would look at the Canon 10x42 L IS WP binoculars.  I have compared them to $3K Swaros and they are superior hands down.  Image stabilization makes all the difference.  It is like comparing a Lexus to a go cart. 

Even if the glass is better on an alpha brand, your shake will negate that advantage.

I will never own another non stabilized bino again. 
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2013 at 08:40
I've never owned a stabilized bino. Just curious -- do they use the same technology as the "vibration reduction" stabilized D-SLR camera lenses? 
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2013 at 10:33
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Just curious -- do they use the same technology as the "vibration reduction" stabilized D-SLR camera lenses? 

Here's some brief information on IS binoculars:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/Bino_Advantage_IQ

I prefer Porro prism binoculars especially those made in Japan. (i.e. Minox BD 10x44 BP) 8>)
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m4coyotehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2013 at 16:16
The downside is that they are heavier and larger.  But, the image quality and reduced eye strain is sooooo much better than standard handheld binoculars. 

With standard binoculars, you can see details on things.

With image stabilized binoculars you can study the details on things. 

Robster80 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robster80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2013 at 16:41
how do these canon binos do in lowlight conditions?
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m4coyotehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2013 at 09:36
They do pretty good.  I compared them to my 7x50 Steiner Nighthunters.  The Nighthunters were better.  But, not by much.
Robster80 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robster80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2013 at 12:13
steiner vs meopta ??
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic