OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Quality Bore Guides?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quality Bore Guides?
    Posted: March/12/2013 at 18:08

Looking for a higher end bore guide now that i've gone into the deeper end of the pool money wise on a custom rifle.

I know Lucas is widely regarded as the best out there but availability is tough. Can the pro's here give me some decent alternatives for my 260 Remington and where i might find one that'll fit? I've got a Dewey guide now and it works for the lower end rigs i've got, although i'd rather get a quality piece for this rifle.

Thanks as always gents.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"Issac Newton invented gravity because some asshole hit him with an apple"
-Chris Moltisanti
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2013 at 18:50
Sinclair makes some good bore guides out of Delrin that have o-ring seals in the chamber end and fit your chosen action very nicely. I have several, and have been happy with them.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2013 at 19:31
You wouldn't happen to have a link handy? I'm trying to find one that will fit a Stiller action. Coming up empty so far.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

-Chris Moltisanti
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2013 at 19:51
You can try contacting Mike Lucas direct.

email: lucasmjb@windstream.net

Mike prefers interfacing over email vs. phone but he does great work (specs to specific rifle action, caliber and cleaning rod manufacturer). It may take a couple of weeks or more. I have five or six made by him, they're worth the wait.

http://www.6mmbr.com/catalog/item/1433308/954882.htm

http://www.opticstalk.com/lucas-bore-guide-vs-dewey-bore-guide_topic24644.html
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2013 at 20:13
Thanks guys. I'll shoot him an email and see what i can find out.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

-Chris Moltisanti
Gil P. View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2013 at 20:30
I agree with Mike, Lucas bore guides are well worth the wait.
Easy come easy go

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else.
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2013 at 10:32
I like the precise fit of the Lucas. However, if I was getting a new one I'd ask if if a smaller solvent port could be placed forward in the middle of the ejection port. It's never made sense to me to have the port where it is aft. I really like the position of the port on JP's AR bore guides. You do need to have narrow-tipped bottles though.
Reaction time is a factor...
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2013 at 11:09
I shot Mike an email a little bit ago. Once i get a reply i'll ask him about that feature just for curiosity sake. That's a great suggestion Jon. Thanks.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

-Chris Moltisanti
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2013 at 15:49
Originally posted by shooter07 shooter07 wrote:

You wouldn't happen to have a link handy? I'm trying to find one that will fit a Stiller action. Coming up empty so far.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/gun-cleaning/rod-guides/bore-guides/bolt-action-rifle-guides/two-piece-rod-guides/sinclair-two-piece-cleaning-rod-guides-prod54128.aspx

Action style doesn't matter much with these because they use the o-ring tension in the chamber and the relatively tight fit between the o.d. of the guide and the i.d. of the action to hold the guide in place while using the cleaning rod. They're simple, inexpensive, and do the job well. No need to spend a lot of $ on a bore guide. As long as it stays in place, fits the action well, lasts, and does a good job of keeping the cleaning rod centered, it's done its job.

To select the right guide, you pick based on the diameter of your bolt body and the chambering. For the Stiller, I believe you'd just use a guide designed for the Rem 700 in the same chambering. I'm not where I can measure my Stiller at the moment, but I believe they use the same diameter bolt body as Rem 700. If not, Sinclair will make custom guides for you if you give them the diameter of your bolt to the nearest .001"... or at least they used to. I haven't bought one since Sinclair was acquired by Brownells.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2013 at 16:50
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Sinclair makes some good bore guides out of Delrin that have o-ring seals in the chamber end and fit your chosen action very nicely. I have several, and have been happy with them.

Yup. Sounds like the same ones I've been using that I believe I got from Midway that had their name on them.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2013 at 17:37
The only thing the Lucas bore guides have over the less expensive Sinclair guides is an extra rod bushing at the port end. Supposedly, this bushing helps prevent rod flex and does a better job of keeping the jag or patch loop centered in the bore when it passes the throat. I think this is way overblown crap, because once the patch end of the rod enters the chamber neck, the wadded up patch pretty much centers the rod as-is and prevents the rod from scraping the beginning of the rifling in the throat, and by that time, the end of the rod is a pretty good distance from the rod bushing, so the rod can still flex if it encounters resistance.

Yes, the Lucas guides are certainly nice, and they're made of aluminum. However, the Sinclair Delrin guides fit just as tightly in the action, and Delrin is in no way inferior to aluminum alloy for rod guides. I just don't see the point in spending extra $ on something that's a cleaning tool when there aren't great demands on said cleaning tool other than supporting the rod and keeping crap and solvent out of your action and away from your stock. If it works, it works. As long as it fits tightly in your action and stays put when you use it... it's just a tube for goodness sake.

But, as with everything else, opinions vary.
Ted

Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2013 at 18:22
Wow I'm tired of bore guides!!!!

Peddler       
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2013 at 19:16
I ordered one from Mr Lucas earlier today. Should get in the first week of April. 60 bucks for the guide and insert.   

Thanks for the advice guys.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

-Chris Moltisanti
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2013 at 14:36
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

The only thing the Lucas bore guides have over the less expensive Sinclair guides is an extra rod bushing at the port end. Supposedly, this bushing helps prevent rod flex and does a better job of keeping the jag or patch loop centered in the bore when it passes the throat. I think this is way overblown crap, because once the patch end of the rod enters the chamber neck, the wadded up patch pretty much centers the rod as-is and prevents the rod from scraping the beginning of the rifling in the throat, and by that time, the end of the rod is a pretty good distance from the rod bushing, so the rod can still flex if it encounters resistance.

Yes, the Lucas guides are certainly nice, and they're made of aluminum. However, the Sinclair Delrin guides fit just as tightly in the action, and Delrin is in no way inferior to aluminum alloy for rod guides. I just don't see the point in spending extra $ on something that's a cleaning tool when there aren't great demands on said cleaning tool other than supporting the rod and keeping crap and solvent out of your action and away from your stock. If it works, it works. As long as it fits tightly in your action and stays put when you use it... it's just a tube for goodness sake.

But, as with everything else, opinions vary.

I'm pretty sure the Lucas guides he made for me last year were a nylon Delrin type material. No aluminum. As stated earlier the Possum Hollow guides sold by Midway or Possum Hollow directly are almost the same thing without the guide piece for the end. I often don't use that guide anyway cause it's a pain keeping it from sliding around on the rod as you load a new patch.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2013 at 17:34
My Lucas is not aluminum.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2013 at 18:48
I haven't used a Lucas in awhile. I could have sworn they were all aluminum. Maybe they were at one time, or maybe my memory just sucks. I stand corrected.
Ted

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic