OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

need new scope German #4 illuminated

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adelbridge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: need new scope German #4 illuminated
    Posted: March/11/2013 at 20:43
Its my first post and I am looking for a new scope for AR-10.  I currently run a Vortex Crossfire 3-9X40 V-Brite and I am in love with the reticle for hog hunting at night.  The V-brite closely approximates a German #4.  There was a Crossfire 4-12X40 that was on closeout a year ago for $80 and I am kicking myself for not buying one.  If someone has one they want to part with PM me.
any way I satisfied with 3-9 crossfire mechanics and optic quality but want to step up in magnification, 9X is OK but 12 or 14 is better. So here is what I am after:

4-xx maginification  prefer 4-16  but 4-12 is good too

40-44mm Objective, no bigger.  I hate big objectives and I am hunting with a 12 lb rifle so weight is a concern

1" tube preferred otherwise I would buy the Leupold VX-R (priced at very upper end of budget and I already have a nice set of rings)

Weaver has the Super Slam but it is 50mm objective

I love the trijicon accupoint but huge objective 56mm

let me know what else I might be missing

ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2013 at 07:54
find a 3-9x40 Accupoint and be done with it...

www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2013 at 08:12
Originally posted by ccoker ccoker wrote:

find a 3-9x40 Accupoint and be done with it...

+1

The much nicer glass in the accupoint over the crossfire will give you the ability to see better at  longer ranges due to this.  Better glass will always trump magnification.  You'd be hard pressed to find a hog hunter who said the 3-9 accupoint wasn't a good scope for the job.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2013 at 08:32
I screwed up on one point in my recommendation.
They don't make the Accupoint 3-9 with a German #4

But, you don't need it per se as the #4 is to help in low light and with the illuminated dot it isn't "needed"

Adelbridge View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adelbridge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2013 at 10:14
ccoker  good to here from you again.  You helped me with some Pulsar Digigsights up in San Marcos last year.  Class act guy!!

I am really after 4X on the low end and minimum 12X on the high end.  The Vortex Crossfire has decent optics I have used side by side with  leupold VX-II,  Nikon buckmasters  and Bushnell Elites and first and last light there is no real difference in optic quality. 
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2013 at 11:16
hey..
hope all is well

Do you HAVE to have illumination?

If you didn't and you could live with a 50mm, the Meopta Meopro 4-12x50 would be a great option for you..  amazing glass, lightweight and a bold #4 reticle

Adelbridge View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adelbridge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2013 at 13:15
bit the bullet and ordered the Leupold VX-R Firedot 4-12X40 and a new mount for 30mm tube.   No i have a Vortex 3-9 laying around that is going to force me to buy a new rifle.  I hate this game.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2013 at 14:11
Cool

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic