OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Zeiss riflescopes...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zeiss riflescopes...
    Posted: March/10/2013 at 18:11
I am wondering if anyone knows what the difference between the Conquest and the Terra 3X lines is. I am specifically looking at the Conquest 3-9x40 and the Terra 3X 3-9x42 scopes. I realize that the Terra line is Zeiss's newest product and that the Terra comes with a 42mm objective while the Conquest has a 40mm objective, but what I am wondering what the difference is other than the obvious. Is the Terra line as well made as the Conquest line? Is the glass of the same quality? I guess I am just trying to figure out why Zeiss came out with a new line of scopes if there weren't some changes being made.

Edited by bbush - March/10/2013 at 23:14
bbush View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2013 at 06:36

I know that the Conquest line was assembled in America, but is this still true for the Terra line or has it been changed to China like a lot of people suspect?  If it has been changed to China, that may explain the changes in the lineup and the fact that the Terra line seems to be cheaper than the Conquest line that it is replacing.  Does anyone know if the Terra line has actually made it to the dealer shelves yet?  Also, did the change the quality of the glass in the Terra lineup?

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2013 at 17:11
I emailed Zeiss about this a few weeks ago. According to the Zeiss rep who responded to my email, the Terra scopes are being assembled in Japan, but they aren't being outsourced to the lowest bidder. He said image quality is on par with the previous Conquest line. The difference besides assembly origin is that they are introducing a couple different models (2-7X32 & 4-12X42), the 3-9X has 42mm rather than 40mm objective and it's a bit shorter and lighter than the previous Conquest version. They are narrowing the model choices to make room for the HD5 as their "premium" 1" scope line. The goal for the Terra 3X line is to provide a lower price point to go head to head with some other 1" scope brands/ models.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
bbush View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2013 at 12:18
Maybe a better question would be, which would you prefer...the old Conquest 3-9x40 or the new Terra 3-9x42???
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2013 at 16:10
Are any of the models to be made in the U.S. anymore? I thought I read the HD5's are assembled in Germany.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2013 at 17:00
Originally posted by bbush bbush wrote:

Maybe a better question would be, which would you prefer...the old Conquest 3-9x40 or the new Terra 3-9x42???

I don't know, and I don't think you'll get a good answer to that yet, since I don't think they're in stock anywhere yet.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2013 at 17:03
Originally posted by Horsemany Horsemany wrote:

Are any of the models to be made in the U.S. anymore? I thought I read the HD5's are assembled in Germany.

Apparently not. What the future may bring is anyone's guess.
Ted

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic