OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Hunting in Europe - What magnification?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hunting in Europe - What magnification?
    Posted: March/10/2013 at 12:07
Hello,

In the search for a new riflescope i have come across a S&B Classic either 1,5-6x42 or 3-12x50. I've also seen Swarovski Habicht in the same mag.

Optically, i dont know which to go for. Maybe the S&B? Also because i can get it cheaper. I hear very very good stuff about S&B.

about the mag. i dont know either. I will be hunting mostly between sun up and down. But am i screwed if i wanna go on a hunting trip to Sweden or something, where i can shoot to one hour after sunset? With the 1,5-6x42.

Maybe i sould go for 3-12x50?
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2013 at 12:17
Is this a one time hunting trip or multiple (do you live here or across the pond)?

Distances you'll be shooting?

Why don't you know what caliber you're going to use?

Is your heart set on only S&B?

Why do you feel that you would be screwed hunting one hour after sunset, here most places are .5 hours or longer after sunset/before sunrise. Do their regulations specifically say you can only use a 1.5-6x42 during these times? Sorry, your post is a little confusing.

Personally, from the little if provided I'd go for an all-around scope for most situations and call it a day.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Renico View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2013 at 13:04
Hehe ok.

I live in Denmark and shoot with a caliber 308W. Here we can only shoot from sunrise to dawn. I plan on taking several trips to Sweden, Scotland and so on, and there I can shoot up to an hour after dawn.

So im just asking if i should go for the cheaper S&B 1,5-6x42 or the more expensive 3-12x50.

I have never hunted when its a little dark, so I dont know if a 1,5-6x42 will be too small?
seawolf View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2013 at 14:37
What kind of game do you plan to hunt?
If moose, the 1,5-6x42 is more than good enough in a quality scope.
Red deer or roe are more nocturnal, and to tackle the dusk and dawn, I would go for a x50 scope.
Boar can be hunted in Sweden all night long, and a x56 scope with illuminated dot is a must in my opinion.
Deer can be hunted in Sweden one hour before sunrise and one hour after sunset (at least those were the rules last year)
In Norway you can hunt moose, red der and roe deer 24 hours a day, depending there is ample light.

A single scope that take care of the species mentioned will be a compromise in my opinion, and compromises are seldom the best solution.

If one scope shall handle a variety of Europeean hunting, the 3-12x50 will be the best of the two scopes you mentioned.
If you do not plan to go for an illuminated dot, then go for a bold reticle like the #1 or #4.
That will give you an edge in low light.
Seawolf
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2013 at 14:43
With those two scopes and low light I would get the 3-12x50. I have a 1.5-6x42 Kahles that is first focal plane and a 4A and it is plenty "bright" for our 1/2 hour before and after sun. But, my 50mm scopes are better in the dark. More important are the reticles and the 7 & 8 S&B should both be fine. I would tend towards the three post 7 because it is not as busy for low light.
Doug
Renico View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2013 at 15:29
Okay thank you.

Im mostly a roe deer hunter. Therefore i plan hunting roebucks in Sweden and Scotland, where its legal to shoot 1 hour before to 1 hour after sunset.

I can get a 1,5-6x42 half the price of what an 3-12x50 S&B cost.

But sounds like i should go for the 3-12x50.

I just havent had quality scopes before so didnt know if a x42 would be good in low light. - even if it is a quality S&B.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2013 at 17:38
6x with a 42mm objective is as bright as it gets.
7x with a 49 mm or larger (50) objective is as bright as it gets.
8x with a 56 mm objective is as bright as it gets.

With a variable scope that has higher power you can dial down the power in low light to brighten the image.  Even a 10x56 scope has a 5.6mm exit eye pupil which is fairly bright but if dialed down to 8x it will brighten even more.

The advantage of higher power scopes is that you can gain a closer look at something at long range where that becomes important is in target identification and proper selection of the target. For example I was hunting with my son and I had a 10x scope he had a scope that the max power was 25x he could tell which of a group of deer was a young buck and which deer were does at 600 yds where I could not. Now if we had been 200 yds the target identification would have been possible with the 10x  probably even a 6x so unless you are hunting past about 200 yds you may find 6x is adequate for mid size game but insufficient for small targets. If you are trying to hand hold a rifle and shoot without a rest you can do that at 6x probably at 10x with practice but with higher powers you really need a solid rest.  Also, It is very difficult to get onto a moving target closer than  100 yds with higher than 6x.  The beauty of the 3-12 is that you can be at 3  when you stalk game at 6 when needed and at 12x if you need a closer look or have a solid rest.  Have you considered a Zeiss
Zeiss 3-12x56 Victory Diavari 30mm Rifle Scope #4 Zeiss 3-12x56 Victory Diavari 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - ZEI5217419904
  • Matte
  • 30mm
  • LotuTec Protective Coating
$1,499.95 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - March/10/2013 at 17:46

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
vgmhunor View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vgmhunor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2013 at 18:53
If you hunt roe deer beyond 200 yards, 6X magnification becomes more like a guess work-rather than precision shooting. A year old calf is not much larger than a coyote (minus the long legs). Larger magnification and objective bell will increase your chanches at shooting longer ranges under fading light conditions.
Claus View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2013 at 06:54
Hi Renico, my fellow Dane Smile
I am hunting mostly hunting Roedeer to. 
Have also huntet in Denmark, Sweden, Poland, and for Whitetail in Idaho.
Here in DK you are fine with the S.B. magnification, but else i would go for a larger mag.

Have you set your mind for one of these two brands only, or are you open for others? 
At the moment there is a lot of good buys on Zeiss around. Chech this out:

http://www.tommerupjagtogfiskeri.dk/viewpage.php?page_id=139 

Now i don't know how much you are looking to spend but you get a lot of good scopes below the 10.000kr line today.

I am using a Leupold Mark IV 3,5-14x50 and personally i think it's working out for me in any situations.

Good Luck
Savage 93 17.HMR. Tikka Tac A1 308 Blaser R8 6,5-55 / 30-06. Beretta Silver Pigeon. Comming up-TIKKATAC A1 22LR

Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened
Renico View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2013 at 08:50
Thanks for the replies!

I have to admit that I am lock on either S&B, Swarovski or Zeiss. Maybe for the reputation, and maybe because its easy to sell again.

I think I will be going for a 3-12x50 then.

At the moment i like S&B and Swarowski the most(Mostly because of design i think) I have never looked thru any of the 3.

My dream scope(s) is a Swarovski z6 2-12x50 and a S&B Zenith 3-12x50, but they are to expensive. But one day, ill have one of those.

Now I just need a used one. Either S&B Classic 3-12x50 or Swarovski Habicht 3-12x50.

Hard time choosing..
Claus View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2013 at 09:41
I have send you a pm.
Savage 93 17.HMR. Tikka Tac A1 308 Blaser R8 6,5-55 / 30-06. Beretta Silver Pigeon. Comming up-TIKKATAC A1 22LR

Renico View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2013 at 10:18
Thanks for all the replies.

I have now choosen to go with Zeiss, as I have found some good prices.

The models I can get good prices on is

Zeiss Duralyt 3-12x50 Non ill.

Zeiss Diavari Z 2,5-10x48.

What would be the best? And should I stay away from Z models that says MC?

Cheers

(I know Zeiss Diavari Victory probably is the best Zeiss buts its expensive)
Claus View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2013 at 10:36
ExcellentExcellentExcellent
You are fine with the3-12x50

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2013 at 11:34
Welcome back Claus, that is a cool web site you posted. It is good to see you and Seawolf posting on threads like this.....thanks
Doug
Renico View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2013 at 16:03
I may have to continue this thread a little.

I was just in my local hunting store and saw some scopes called Meopta Meostar 3-10x50. Pretty cheap they were and iv'e been told thet should be very high quality.

As its the first time i purchase scope I dont know if i should stay with the Duralyt or save some money and buy the Meostar?
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2013 at 18:49
If you want to save the money, I think you would like the r1 meostar. I have the 3-10x50 and have been very happy with scope for the money spent. 
"Life is like riding a bicycle . To keep balance you must keep moving" Albert Einstein
Renico View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2013 at 06:36
Cool! I have choosen a Meostar 3-10x50 :) I dont know if its better than the Duralyt but it really looks better..

Is the 3-10x50 in Second focal plane?

Because I saw that Meopta both got the 3-12x56 in first and second plane.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2013 at 07:42
I can tell you with confidence the Meopta 3-12x56 RD is a VERY good low light scope.
I ran one this past hunting season and will be using it the next few nights for hogs.

I also have the 1.5-6x42 S&B Zenith, as well as some other top of the line scopes and have spent a LOT of time hunting and testing in low light.

The Meopta is hands down the best value on the market for a low light hunting scope and has glass that rivals S&B, Kahles, Zeiss, Swarovksi.

They have the illumination correct in that the dot is very, very dim so that it doesn't obscure your target or cause your iris to contract.

If you want to read more about it:
http://tacticalgunreview.com/blog/2012/12/lowlight-hunting-scope-shootout-trijicon-accupoint-tr22-2-5-10x56-vs-meopta-meostar-3-12x56/

www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2013 at 08:08
Nice buck Charles & good info....Thanks
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Renico View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2013 at 08:19
Thanks ccoker for a very good review.

I like the Meopta 3-12x56RD that you tested, but the one I am going to get is the 3-10x50. It suits my hunting a little better.

But would I be screewed if I took on a low-light hunt with 3-10x50 without illumination?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic