OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Optic Reviews and Tests > Member's Tests and Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Trijicon SRS vs Aimpoint T1

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trijicon SRS vs Aimpoint T1
    Posted: March/08/2013 at 14:32
Coming soon!

Both are mounted and ready, now I just need range time.

Initial impressions of the SRS:
1.  The bright red objective screams "shot at me, shoot at me!"  That needs addressing.
2.  The "no tube effect" is not entirely genuine.
3.  The SRS does seem to present a better field of view from more angles, which is nice.
4.  If you get one, get the Bobro base version, it works as it should.
5.  The solar cell on top seems a bit gimmicky.
6.  The 1.75MOA dot is awesome, very well defined, small enough for relative precision work.
7.  It ain't cheap.
8.  It is nowhere near as small as the T1.
9.  I am a little nervous of the external adjustments, but they don't spin freely, which is good.
10. AA battery use, which is a huge plus, at least to me.

Range report to follow.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2013 at 15:19
Light em up RC.

Peddler Cool Cool Cool

When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2013 at 15:22
There is a used on on the Samplelist that I thought might be the one you got to review..... we will see.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2013 at 16:27
It is not, but it might be worth picking up, should anyone be in the market for a not tiny red dot.

More to follow.

Initial impressions are pretty good.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2013 at 11:32
Time on the SRS, maybe 2 hours, gun was getting HOT.  Thoughts:

1.  In a very specific lighting condition, you can see the LED imbedded on the board, and can see the actual diode body, which appears as a rectangular "ghost" around the dot.  It only happens under very specific lighting.

2.  The "auto-on" feature bugs me a bit.  When the optic goes into bright light (from vehicle to full sun), the dot comes on.  This is OK except that none of my other optics do this.  I remember to turn it off, it just surprises me.  That said, it does come on at a sufficient brightness to be immediately useful.

3.  I had my doubts about the "bigger objective, no tube effect" marketing, and can say that it is a good thing when shooting from unconventional positions.  When shooting from normal positions, it is marketing hype.

4.  This thing NEEDS a kill flash.  The large objective (bright red) screams "shoot at this!" which is not a good thing.  There is an ARD/flip-up combo, but it is pricey.

5.  The dot is well defined and the dot goes back to where it should be when the optic is removed and reinstalled.  I like the repeatability of the bobro mount.

6.  On dope changes, I cannot say if there are clicks or not.  If there are, they ain't real well defined.  It isn't great, but since I zero and forget these, this will probably be my last complaint on that.

7.  Compared to the T1, it is BIG.

8.  I really like that it runs on a AA, not a CR123 or 2032 or "other."  AAs are everywhere and should be easy to find for awhile.  

9.  On/off is by buttons, not rheostats, this is good and bad.  It is quick on (the T1 requires running the dial to the power you like for the circumstances.  That said, when the T1 is done with duty, roll it down to zero; the SRS requires holding the "+" and "-" for 3 seconds simultaneously, which is more trouble but far from a problem.

All in all, I like it.  I won't be selling the T1, but I do like that I can shoot under vehicles around barricades a little easier than with the T1 (which I tend to lose when the rifle starts really swinging.)

If you buy one, get the ARD!

Pics coming.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2013 at 11:45
Agree with your points

Especially in regards to the dot being well defined.
I have been using a 4MOA T1 for about 5 years and just got a 2MOA
The latter appears more defined to me.

I like the SRS a lot.
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2013 at 18:49
Aimpoint Micro for the win!! 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2013 at 08:55
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Aimpoint Micro for the win!! 

In most regards, I agree.  It is hella tough, it is light and compact, and it works.

The downside is that if you move into unconventional firing positions, the dot can be difficult to grab.  Try firing modified prone under a vehicle and you'll see what I mean.

In that circumstance (and in that the battery for the SRS is a AA, which are in no short supply and are not difficult to find), and the SRS is a winner.

I will say the T1 is the better all-around optic at this moment, but that might change with time on the SRS.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic