OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Ideal Hunting Rifle Trigger Pull Weigh

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonk_jasonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ideal Hunting Rifle Trigger Pull Weigh
    Posted: April/21/2006 at 22:49

Hello Everyone,

I'm posting this question because I really value the opinions of the opticstalk gurus.

I'm going to have a trigger job done on my Model 700 in .300 win mag.  What I'm wondering is what does everyone think the ideal trigger pull weight is? 

Obviously when hunting elk and deer, maybe wearing gloves or maybe not, running up hills and breathing hard, plus all the other fun stuff we big game hunters deal with I don't want a 2 oz. trigger.  I really don't know what my current trigger pull is (my new trigger pull scale is on the way) but from what I've read elsewhere I think a nice crisp 3 pound trigger would be close to perfect.  I'm a safe and responsible hunter, have shot plenty and am very comfortable with my weapons.... I tell you this because I know it makes a difference vs. a green hunter his first year out.

Looking forward to your thoughts and appreciate the input.

Jason

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2006 at 10:12

I like between a 3-3.5lb pull for hunting. 

I think this is a good trigger pull for hunting, but not too much for shooting paper at the bench either.

My "tactical" rifle was just checked today at a gunshop.

She came in at 2 1/4 lbs.

This rifle is only for shooting prone and off a bench, with occasional varmint shooting hopefully some day.

I also have a 700 action and worked the trigger mentioned above myself and got it down to 2 1/4 lbs. No creep. Clean and crisp.

Remmys have good triggers but need some TLC to make them better.

You may want to consider a drop in trigger assembly, but I would have the factory trigger worked first if it were me.

A "worked" Remmy trigger is good to go for most shooters.

Regards, cheaptrick.

Edited by cheaptrick
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2006 at 12:38
Trigger release wts are not as important as clean release. Usually there are two schools of thought. "Command" release and " suprize" release. Command thought uses a rather heavy wt. under the thinking that the shooter should control the trigger and not let the pull control the shooter as in a "suprize" release whose adherants usually like very light releases. Re my are easily adjustable because they are a "3-lever system" which uses long primary which holds the bolt striker and uses a second lever (shorter) to hold it in place. The pressure of this compound function then rests on the release sear. (A winchester is a 2 lever system and an AR and M1a single lever but different fulcrum points.). During the last 5-6 years Remy have gotten cheaper in there production and to date I've had 3 actually break. (older remys are still good)  In my opinion a serious Remy should have at least a Basic rifle replacement (at least) or preferalbly a Jewel. Too light of trigger will "push off" when the safety is deactivated and cause a premature discharge. One of the reason for so many after market conversions of Remy bolts to Win type 3 position bolts. The point is you must decide, as you are responsible for the shot. Personally I prefer really heavy (4-5 lbs.) or miliatry type 2 stages on hun ting guns (and why I prfer to use Mauser-98 actions) and never found it to be a problem. The heavy pull requires the shooter to "stay on the shot" longer.
Stud Duck View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stud Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2006 at 07:49
My hunting rifles have ~3lb trigger pulls, I haven't hunted Canada yet, so I don't know if the Artic rated gloves will cause me a problem with a trigger that light or not.
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2006 at 14:29

I have my hunting rifles set at a crisp 3 lbs. and it is perfect for me.  I good trigger is by far the single best thing you can do to a rifle that will improve your accuracy.........I mean, uhhh....other than a good scope of course

We sold a custom 700 hunting rifle last year that we took on trade that had a trigger so light that it would release just by hitting the butt on the ground.  Scary to think that someone was hunting with it.  We put a disclaimer in the description when we sold in on GunBroker that it needed to be replaced.

Stud Duck,

If you hunt up north some day, just take your glove off to shoot.  It's a lot easier than trying to learn to shoot with them on.  I hate trying to shoot with gloves and developed a habit of biting the tip of one of the fingers and pulling the glove off with my mouth quickly prior to shooting.

Edited by Chris
jasonk_jasonk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonk_jasonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2006 at 14:37

Well Chris....it's got an Elite 4200 on it now so I figured a trigger job was the next step in improving its accuracy.

I just received my new trigger scale in the mail today so I'll measure the trigger pull tonight and see what it is currently.  Then off to the gunsmith it goes.....it looks from the suggestions above that it will come back with a crisp 3 pound trigger.

Thank you to everyone that posted a reply, it's been a great help.  I'll let you know when I get it back and can't wait to share the results.

Thanks again!!

Jason

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2006 at 14:37
Originally posted by Chris Chris wrote:

I good trigger is by far the single best thing you can do to a rifle that will improve your accuracy.

Amen!!!!

More rifles I have owned went from MOA (at best) to sub MOA AFTER a trigger job, Chris

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Stud Duck View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stud Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2006 at 07:41

Thanks for the advice Chris.

Duh! Why didn't I think of that?

Edited by Stud Duck
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2006 at 01:46
I once spent a little time with a trigger pull scale and found that a crisp let off is far more important to me than the actual weight for as long as the trigger weight is under ~5lbs.  On a varminter (Accutrigger) I set the trigger all the way down to 2lbs.  On a hunting rifle, I'd probably keep it at around 4lbs and worry more about eliminating creep, excessive overtravel, etc.

ILya
Stud Duck View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stud Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2006 at 07:27
I agree 100% on eliminating the creep and overtravel, you can have a 4-4.5lb trigger that will break like glass if adjusted properly, but my personal preference is still ~3-3.5lb
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic