OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

need rings and base for rem 700

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308aac-sd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: need rings and base for rem 700
    Posted: March/06/2013 at 13:26
Hi everyoneHowdy
New to the forum and new to long range shooting.  I recently traded my 308 rem deer gun in for a Rem 700 sps tactical.  I have done nothing with it yet.  This rifle will be for primarily punching paper out to 700 or so yards.  I have narrowed down the glass to the SS10x42.  My question is about everyones feeling about SWFA low mounts with a TPS 20 moa alloy steel rail.  I know there are alot of opinions but go ahead and let me hear what you think.  If budget was'nt an issue I would defiantely go with Badger rings and base, but is it necessary??Whacko
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2013 at 13:41
Lows will work with that setup.  If you are willing to spend just a bit more TPS rings are a big step up in the quality dept.  They offer very good bang for the buck.  Warne rings are also very good, but a lot more complicated to set up.  Kind of a pain IMO
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2013 at 14:31
I've had SWFA low rings on a sps tactical for years.  both with 30mm scopes and 1" scopes with the reducers.  I like them.  Never had issues with them. 
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2013 at 15:47
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Lows will work with that setup.  If you are willing to spend just a bit more TPS rings are a big step up in the quality dept.  They offer very good bang for the buck.  Warne rings are also very good, but a lot more complicated to set up.  Kind of a pain IMO

I concur with this. TPS...for a bit more, is a far better option. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
308aac-sd View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308aac-sd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2013 at 16:04
So if I do decide to go TPS, aluminum or steel and the TSR "W" or the standard TSR rings?
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2013 at 16:12
W is for weaver style bases, meaning the cross bolt will be narrower and not fit tight in a picatinny style base.  You will want the standard to go with a regular picatinny style base.

Aluminum vs steel will not make much diff as far as performance goes.  I would get both base and rings made of hte same material.  Steel is more likely to rust as the finish wears off.  Aluminum will save a bit of weight if that matters to you. 

I personally buy all aluminum rings and mounts any more.  My guns get wet during hunting season and I hate that steel always rusts on me. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2013 at 16:28
I've always gone aluminum on both if I can help it. Lighter, only the screws are subject to rust (and I've never seen any).
Reaction time is a factor...
308aac-sd View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308aac-sd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2013 at 17:54
Thanks for all your guys input. I'm sure I'll have many more questions!          
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2013 at 18:55
http://swfa.com/Remington-C2579.aspx
If you are trying to keep cost down the Talley ringmount  (ring and base) all in one is a good possible. There are a lot of good ring and base combinations availablt to you.  Talley also makes a rail for it that is very reasonably priced.  As for rings you should be OK with the SS rings but on all orders do call them to be sure the product is in stock that way if it is not you can select again.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
308aac-sd View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308aac-sd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2013 at 19:32
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

If you are trying to keep cost down the Talley ringmount  (ring and base) all in one is a good possible. There are a lot of good ring and base combinations availablt to you.  Talley also makes a rail for it that is very reasonably priced.  As for rings you should be OK with the SS rings but on all orders do call them to be sure the product is in stock that way if it is not you can select again.

Thanks. I haven't came across those.
308aac-sd View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308aac-sd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2013 at 21:29
If I decide to go with the tps rail and rings, should I bed the rail?
308aac-sd View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308aac-sd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2013 at 08:50
So I decided to order the TPS rings and base along with the SS10x42.  I emailed SWFA to see if everything was in stock.  Found out NONE of it is in stock.  No ETA from either manufacture!Head Banger
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2013 at 09:34
Bedding of the rail is really only necessary if one side of the action is higher or lower than it should be.  I have seem 700 actions that needed quite a bit a bedding compound on the base to get everything sqaure and have seen ones that were perfect. 

Really you need some alignment bars to check that.  Kokopelli products and Wheeler both make scope mounting hits that have the alignment bars if you are interested. 

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2013 at 16:06
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Do read the part in red.

There are multiple interchangeable systems and multipe optics which will do similar jobs for you but this is just like going to the store to look for ammo and reloading supplies you will have to be flexible because there are a LOT of people gun stuff shopping right now. Your best bet is to CALL them on the phone once you have a general idea what you need and ask what they have that they can recommend.  If they do not have a base from one manufacturer ask what bases they have in stock that are smiliar. If the do not have the rings from the manufacturer you wanted ask what rings they have that will work. If they do not have the scope you wanted and you need the system up and running then ask about other scopes and be prepared to spend a little more money on a more expensive optic as the least expensive ones will likely have gone first.   
ALL Scopes on Samplelist.com should be in stock.  http://www.samplelist.com/Riflescopes-C3391.aspx

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
308aac-sd View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308aac-sd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2013 at 09:31

I called SWFA the other day and decided to go with Seekins rings and base.  They are supposed to be top notch.

ss10x42 still no stock.Cussing
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2013 at 12:51
Seekins are top shelf. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Novice1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Novice1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2013 at 20:48
Hello all
As the post before me I am also new to long range shooting I a purchased a Remington 700 xcr tactical with 26" fluted barrel .308 and a leupold mark 4 6.5-20x50mm LR/T M1 scope. Heard good things on badger USMC Dmr 30mm rings with a badger 1 piece rail for Remington short action 45 Moa . Big question is what height for rings .886, 1.031 or , 1.125.also if they say right handed do they mean the hand on the trigger. Sorry said I was a novice. Appreciate any insight. Thank you . Please comment on weapon and scope selection
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2013 at 22:57
Novice, I would say go with the standard .823" rings. If not those then the .883 will work too. And yes when they say right-hand they are talking about the one on the trigger. Or more aptly, the side the bolt handle is on when you are behind the rifle. I would also suggest a 20 MOA base, over the 45.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Novice1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Novice1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2013 at 18:58
Hello all
As the post before me I am also new to long range shooting I a purchased a Remington 700 xcr tactical with 26" fluted barrel .308 and a leupold mark 4 6.5-20x50mm LR/T M1 scope. Heard good things on badger USMC Dmr 30mm rings with a badger 1 piece rail for Remington short action 45 Moa . Big question is what height for rings .886, 1.031 or , 1.125.also if they say right handed do they mean the hand on the trigger. Sorry said I was a novice. Appreciate any insight. Thank you . Please comment on weapon and scope selection
308aac-sd View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308aac-sd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2013 at 13:50

WHEN ORDERING THE SEEKINS 1 PEICE RAIL, WHAT SIZE THREADS ARE TAPPED IN THE RECIEVER OF MY REM 700?  6-48 OR 8-40

I WILL BE ORDERING THE 20 MOA AS WELL AS THE LOW RINGS.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic