OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Confused!! need help scoping a fnar

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bc65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Confused!! need help scoping a fnar
    Posted: March/02/2013 at 14:37
Hey Fellas
Hows it goin? Im a new member and have been following as many threads as i can and have i learned alot but still dont know much! Just enough to get to the point im at now wich is confused!
So heres what i got goin I bought a Fnar (ca version no pistol grip or cheek welds if that helps) couple months ago and have been savin up for a scope. I will just be target shooting probably out to about 500 yrds but would like tto have the ability to strtch the legs out on the gun to 7 or 800 yrds if the oppertunity presents itself.
The parameters im constrained to is between 5 &700.00(was shootin for 1300 but the decision makers over here would not listen) .My original thought (w almost no research )was to to get a vviper 6.5 just because it looked and sounded good but didnt end up doin an impulse buy started doing a little research and kind of liked the g2bmildot reticle on burris mtac 14x42 but could not find any info on the performance of this scope so that is when i found this site and started reading more and now im thinkin after reading all the posts and comments i should prob go w a ss 9x42 or 10x hd what do you guys think? im all ears   .
Thanx in advance for any advice or comments they are greatly appreciated
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2013 at 17:19
The Super Sniper line is a solid choice very good value for the money.  The Vortex Viper line also has been well recieved and would serve you nicely.  I have had more problems with burris products than successes so I dont go there anymore.  Another scope to look at since you are trying to keep cost down is this:
Leatherwood 6-24x50 Camputer ART M-1200 Rifle Scope Leatherwood 6-24x50 Camputer ART M-1200 Rifle Scope
Stock # - ART624X50
  • Matte
  • No Math Mil-Dot
  • 1"
  • Adjustable Objective
  • Comes with Leatherwood Flip-Up Lens Covers
$449.95 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
bc65 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bc65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2013 at 17:39
Thanx for the info on the leatherwood
I havent looked at those but it is a nice looking scope. How does it stack up against a ss scope? What would you
pick between this and a ss? Hows the glass quality ? Is this scope a ffp or sfp ?
Parallaxed View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Parallaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2013 at 18:58
Another one to throw in the mix is the Leupold VX-R patrol 3-9x. It's 15.5 oz and fairly compact, sfp and illuminated mil/mil. sounds like the glass is on par with the ss 3-9x and viper pst 2.5-10x42. For $799, the new 2.5-10x32 Pst just came out and looks promising, and it's ffp like the ss, but with zero stop and illumination. The Burris you mentioned looks nice on paper, I'd love to see somebody do a review on it.
bc65 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bc65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2013 at 20:16
Thanx for the info parallaxed
I saw an ad with the mtac for sale from a private party and the guy said nice scope the glass was great but the turrets were not the greatest (im paraphrasing cant remember exact quote)
The leatherwood seemed like it was a little risky and I didnt want to be disappointed
I took a long long hard look at that leupold patrol but after days of reading threads and posts on that scope and thee ss 3 9x i chose the ss ordered it yesterday so now im looking for a good set of rings!
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2013 at 05:12
Originally posted by Parallaxed Parallaxed wrote:

Another one to throw in the mix is the Leupold VX-R patrol 3-9x. It's 15.5 oz and fairly compact, sfp and illuminated mil/mil. sounds like the glass is on par with the ss 3-9x and viper pst 2.5-10x42.

Welcome to Optics Talk. 

I hate to contradict you, Sir, but I have both the 3-9x VX-R and the SS 3-9x and I would put the SS's glass ahead of the VX-R, by a smidge. Can't say for sure about the Viper though. 

I like the VX-R recommendation however.   
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2013 at 07:50
I'll second that Cheaptrick, having used both I really like the  SS better for glass.  That said I like the illumination and SFP of the Patrol for a hunting rig or anything when low light will be an issue.  In fact I got another patrol last week for that very task.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
bc65 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bc65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2013 at 08:23
Thanx for the responses and the welcome
Im not sure I understand are you guys sayin you would take the patrol ove the ss for target shooting or the other way around It sounds like the patrol is the one to go with for hunting but I dont plan on hunting w this set up
Like I said I really liked both of those scopes and the choice caused me to loose sleep but at least nowI have one of them.I am going to put together a bolt gun in a few more months and the patrol will most likely be sittingon top of it.
    Another question for you guys what type of rings should I run on this set up (ss on the fnar)?

How much better is the quality of 200 set over a 100.00 over a 50.00 set?
thanx for the comments
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2013 at 11:28
I hunt with both the SS 3-9x and the 3-9x VX-R. You can hunt or "tactilize" with either. 

I say the VX-R is a bit more useful in a hunting role, and the SS is better in a "tactical" scenarios, where dialing up and down, ranging targets, etc are concerned. The SS is a better all around scope, IMO. 

I prefer a SFP reticle and the Fire Dot like the VX-R has for strictly hunting though.    

Rings...I really like Seekins, but there are many fine makes of rings these days. TPS TSR rings IF you can find them, are good to go, for the $$$.  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2013 at 11:40
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
bc65 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bc65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2013 at 11:56
Thanx for the clarification cheaptrick and the info on the rings
On the final outcome of the scope that was my thinking.
Thanks for posting those links svt will read all of them throughout my day
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2013 at 18:34
As for the Leatherwood it will not be optically as good as the variable Super Sniper scopes but should be similar to the fixed power ones.  Any scope that does not go way out of its way to claim FFP will be a second focal plane scope. There are only a hand full of FFP scopes around and the are primarily intended for military use. As far as what I would pick I have the 5-20x50 SS and I dont have the Leatherwood but I have a friend who has the Leatherwood and he likes it very well so at the price it is at I believe it is a good value and it offers you a lot of choice in magnification at that price.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
djp0623 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djp0623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2013 at 22:44
I hunt with my fnar a lot, and have the ss 3-9 milquad. Ilove the scope. I bought a suppressor for mine, so the tactical style adjustments will make compensating for poi shift easy. I might look at a higher mag sightron s3 if i bought again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic