OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Optic Reviews and Tests > Member's Tests and Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Sightron SIII 1-7x24

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sightron SIII 1-7x24
    Posted: March/01/2013 at 16:24
After reading this thread - http://opticstalk.com/sightron-iii-17x24-first-impressionsor-last_topic34389.html,  I really wanted to test out these new SIII's from sigthron.  I was fortunate to have someone get me one for eval.  I just got it today and at lunch ran home and mounted it up.
So far I am liking the glass.  Not caring to much for the reticle for what I'm use to. I want a precise aiming point and the dot in this reticle is rather large.  I'm not passing to much judgement until trigger time but we will see. 
Here it is on the 6x45
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2013 at 10:52
Standing by for AAR. 

Good golly, what mount is that? Sphur? 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2013 at 11:25
Yes, compliments of the scope owner.  Very nice and solid. Like the bubble level in the back of the mount. 

Shot some with it this weekend.  The dot is much to large for precision work for my taste.  I like the glass, its very nice.  The FOV is excellent and I really like the mag range.  Making me want my SS 1-6 to come in even faster now!

I took some pictures with my cell phone but they didn't turn out, overcast and shadows wreked havoc on my camera.  I had several 5 shot groups in the .75" range with a few being slightly smaller.  The majority of them hung out around 1"  Knowing the gun is capable of better I put the SS 3-9 back on and cranked it up to 7X.  I then got a few .25"-.5" groups with ease.  The aiming point is just not fine enough on the SIII.  I think this weekend I'll swap it over to a 16" blackout thats not as demanded upon to produce tight groups, its a hunting gun.  I'll probably try to call in a coyote or two with it once mounted and sighted in.  I'll take the camera this time.  
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2013 at 10:19
Looks better on your than on mine. Cool
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2013 at 19:40
Just saw this for the first time.

So that everyone knows they have come out with a different design since this was posted.

The reticle in the above post is this

http://info.sightron.com/Riflescopes/SIII-Series/SIII1-7x24IR4A/

The new reticle is this

http://info.sightron.com/Riflescopes/SIII-Series/SIII1-7X24IRMOA/

A very welcome change.

MOA for us not so practical people in the non Mil world or in the inch world.

So that everyone knows they never intended for this scope as a 3 gun scope it was to be a hunting scope for Hogs, Varmint and Predators to be quick and handy.

The newer reticle offers more options for longer distance and ranging but does not fall into the 3 Gun scope category, however it does fine for paper punching and ranging anything you want to.

The idea for Sightron was more international based sales for a different purpose than self defense.

I am a group shooter just like most but on the rifle I am putting this on I don't care about .25 vs. .75 any day I want to put that group in a 2-3" pattern and do it within the time it takes me to put this to my eye in a semi-auto, as well as have the ability to quickly attach a suppressor and reach out and touch something with the ranging reticle.

No one
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2013 at 15:33
I like the new reticle. 
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2013 at 16:00
still could improve lots...
No one
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic