OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Are Talley Light Weights....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are Talley Light Weights....
    Posted: February/26/2013 at 14:59
...The SS of scope rings? Seriously. 

These things are outstanding and for FORTY bucks, make me felt like I stole them. I would easily pay $100 for these rings. 

I'm seriously considering doing away with my Pic rails and going with the LW's.  
The LW's combined with the W/E adjustment of the SS, is a killer combination.  

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2013 at 15:12
Probably the best ring/base setup out there for the money.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2013 at 15:15
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

Probably the best ring/base setup out there for the money.

No doubt, Roy. Chris Farris has been talking these up for years before I caught on. 
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2013 at 16:23
I concur. Lightweight, a great, strong design and priced right. What's not to like? Excellent
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2013 at 17:28
Been running them on my .300 Wby for years.  At $40 they are a great bargain! Been very happy with them.  If they made them with 20 moa built in, they would be on all my weapons.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2013 at 18:16
hey... do those have to be lapped?
take em!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2013 at 18:24
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

hey... do those have to be lapped?

No. 
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2013 at 09:58
how come?   I thought all horizontal rings might need lapped?
take em!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2013 at 10:34
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

how come?   I thought all horizontal rings might need lapped?

True, but while I'm not a lapping advocate on any "quality ring", less so on aluminum. I wouldn't want to remove the anodizing off the aluminum ring if it were me.    
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2013 at 15:56
No need to lap Talley LW's. A little history on these rings. They were originally designed by Mel Forbes of ULA and he went to Talley to start making them for him. Talley ran with the idea for all other makes and models.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2013 at 16:06
so... they are already perfectly round or concentric then?   is that what lapping does?
take em!
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2013 at 16:24
As round as CNC machinery can make them. The owner of Talley has been asked this question many times regarding lapping, and he states that most scopes require a very little bit of pressure to get them to bottom out in the ring/base combo and this slightly snug fit makes folks think they should lapped to open them up. According to Talley, this is the way they are made and do not require any lapping.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2013 at 18:15
kind of what Warne says...  but it seems like all "accurizing" services mention Lapping scope Rings, so I thought I would ask.  Thanks for the info guys!
take em!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2013 at 18:42
Thank you Mr. Finn for the excellent commentary on the history of this terrific product. For Talley, it's yet another home run in the hunting scope ring arena, to add to their already excellent product line.  

Tipster, lapping is a subject that draws different thoughts and most are not without some merit. Some highly esteemed members here have written several post's over the years, encouraging folks to lap their rings. These procedures make perfect sense theoretically.  

However, I myself prefer to buy quality rings from the get go and forego the lapping, especially on aluminum rings. (Shrug)  
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2013 at 02:07
Add me firmly in the Talley camp!Cool
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2013 at 08:21
Originally posted by tman1965 tman1965 wrote:

Add me firmly in the Talley camp!Cool

Another Talley floozy. Big Grin
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2013 at 08:34
Except for my AR, all my rifles wear Talley (LW or Fixed).
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2013 at 20:11
Talley LWs are the best deal going in scope rings. A true bargain! They are very strong too, since they dispense with separate bases. They grip the scope very securely since they have wide contact with the scope tube and include 4 screws per ring.

I won't go into the whole subject of lapping pros and cons again, but suffice it to say whether or not lapping will be beneficial often has nothing to do with the rings whatsoever. The rings still have to sit on top of a mass-produced rifle receiver that can have quite a bit of unit to unit dimensional variation. If the mount screw holes aren't in exact alignment,  receiver radiuses aren't uniform where the mounts make contact, and/or the receiver has a "stepped down" portion on the rear bridge (i.e. Rem 700) that deviates from nominal height, the finest, most precisely made rings in the world will still be out of alignment, even if only slightly... if you're using 2-pc mounts (vs. a 1-pc base). These issues are not at all rare. The Talley LWs do eliminate one cause of potential misalignment, though: dimensional variations in separate mount bases.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2013 at 21:30
I used a set to mount my old SS 10x on my wife's 243. I must say I was impressed with the fit, finish, and especially the price!  
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Stud Duck View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stud Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2013 at 13:45

After I purchased my first set (thanks guys, I learned about them here), this is the only mounting system I've purchased.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic