OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

new member and in need of advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1snafugt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new member and in need of advice
    Posted: February/23/2013 at 08:49
hello. i just got a savage mkII .22 for target and varmit hunting. i also have a savage 10fp. i am used to 3-500 yd shots with m-16 and iron sights so i am new to using a scope. i want to use the .22 to hone my skills and eventually work to 1000 meters with the 10. i am looking for a good scope to start with. preferably mil dot and adjustable parallax. right now i am stuck between the bsa contender 3-12 or the weaver kaspa tactical. i am also open to any suggestions for optics and any tips. thanks in advance.
for those that think freedom is free, you need a history lesson.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2013 at 08:59
Of the 2 WEAVER.Or get a 3-9 SS and use it on both rifles. Welcome to the OT.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Budzo100 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Budzo100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2013 at 15:07
Hi, I am also new to OT,  I have been reading up on the SWFA scopes, any comments about them.  I'm looking for a economical version to go on top of a .338 Lapua.  I would like to get out this summer and start shooting but If I have to save a little longer to get a "better scope", well it's gonna suck but I guess I have to do that.  
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2013 at 15:39
Originally posted by Budzo100 Budzo100 wrote:

but If I have to save a little longer to get a "better scope", well it's gonna suck 

Ain't that the truth!
take em!
Budzo100 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Budzo100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2013 at 15:52
I have been lookin at scopes from 3000.00 to 300.  And until you get them out to the field, well then you can figure it all out.  But sh*t balls, I don't have that kinda time or cash.  I just want a good optic to get out there, splatter some yote's and touch out there at least 1000 metres or so.  But man, where do you start, so I see on here,"OT" and see there own scopes.  I go looking and the have a great 16X scope that looks good, but I don't know anything about them.  Only that they are onsale.  But until you saddle up to it and try and reach down range.  I don't have an opinion.
Bikes, bullets, and golf balls, yep that's me.
1snafugt View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1snafugt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2013 at 18:34
Thanks for the welcme and advice. I guess ill save my money and go with one of the swfa scopes. Just gotta save up some more money.
for those that think freedom is free, you need a history lesson.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2013 at 19:33
Welcome new folks. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2013 at 06:21
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2013 at 07:36
For the rimfire I like the 6X better, would serve dual purpose if you ever needed it
SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS6X42MQ
  • Matte Finish
  • Patented Mil-Quad Reticle
  • 30mm Tube
  • Rear Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
  • .10 Mrad
$299.95 
Add SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope to Cart
More Details »

Optional Accessories:

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2013 at 09:37
Welcome to the OT GrassHoppers!

For my old eyes I preffer SWFA SS10x,gets the job done out to 300yds for me.I have the older version not the HD as I can use the parralex down to 10yds.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Budzo100 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Budzo100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2013 at 09:50
So I picked up a new 300 win mag, Tikka T3 heavy Barrel.  I was going to put a Leatherwood ART 1000 on top, but I am going to swtich out the 4-14X50 leupold, that is on my 25-06, and put the Art on that rifle.  so that I can use the 14 power to reach a little further down range with the 300.  What do you guys think about that??  I know that Leatherwood makes the 1200.  But I have these two scopes in my hands right now.  And this past winter, I kinda have been on a buying spree.  So I have to slow down somewhere. 
Bikes, bullets, and golf balls, yep that's me.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic