OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need Feedback on Weaver T-Series 36x40

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need Feedback on Weaver T-Series 36x40
    Posted: April/20/2006 at 04:13

I'm building an AR-15 with an RRA Upper with a 20" Varmint Barrel with a 1 in 8" Twist.

I'm looking towards using two scopes on it .... I ordered a Super Sniper 10-X42M and plan to use that for most purposes.  I'd also like to put a high power fixed scope on it to use strictly for the range.  I have a 6-24 that I use on another .223 and wouldn't mind having even a higher power to  "fine-tune" crosshair location when punching paper.

I've been looking at the Weaver 36x40 T-Series Scope

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/849970/weaver_36x40_t-se ries_rifle_scope.htm

OR

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/849974/weaver_36x40_t-se ries_rifle_scope.htm

It's a decent price and would "fit into my plan" .... anybody have feedback on this scope.  I'm planing on using ARMS Swan/Sleeve on the AR with ARMS QD Mounts on both scopes.  It will basically be zeroed in and left that way to use, generally between 100 and 200 yards.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2006 at 11:51

It has a good reputation as being good for the money.  The adjustments are superb and it is probably the cheapest of good quality target scopes.  The glass is good for the money, but it need good light.  From what I understand these are the high power fixed mangification target scopes that are reasonably affordable and of good quality: Weaver T-series 24x40 and 36x40 and Sightron S2 24x42 and 36x42.

Both have good adjustments and very fine reticles. I think SIghtron is a little clearer, but both work well.

ILya 

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2006 at 15:04
The T series of Weaver have excellent "trackability" but they are an old design around the 70-80's and the glass is marginal. I think SWFA has a 6.6X20 ill mil-dot Nikon monarch on there sample list that would be a better scope than either of the two mentioned, then you can have the ninja reticle (mil-dot) and the mag you want. The triggers on AR"s  can never take advantage of a 32 x target scope even the weaver.
macky View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2006 at 16:30

A 20 power monarch won't do it.  Like I said I have a Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24 on another .223 and I'm looking for higher on this one.  As far as the AR Trigger is concerned ..... replacing with 2 stage adjustable match trigger.

So I'm looking for something higher than a 24 on the high end .... low light isn't an issue .... I only target shoot in the daytime (not near dawn or dusk) ..... and since this is a second scope I'm kinda limited myself to the $400-$500 range.

I don't shoot competition .... only against friends or myself ..... my goal is to have the target a nice size in the FOV at 100 yards .... like if the FOV is 3' an 8 1/2x11 target is almost 1/2 of the FOV .... I'll be benching it ....

I'm gonna take a look at the Sightron 36x42 ... being the clearer of the two ...

Thanks guys ..... any others to check out based on my requirements?

macky View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2006 at 16:39
BTW .... I do have the option of a Bushnell Elite 4200 8-32x40 for somewhere between $400 and $425 .... I was hoping to sqeeze it out to 36 with one of the others ... but maybe not

Edited by macky
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2006 at 16:54

One thing that I found with many high power scopes is that the reticle obscures too much of the target at high magnification.

Ilya

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2006 at 16:57

In your price range, Weaver and Sightron are the only decent fixed magnification target scopes that I can think of. 

Elite 4200 is a very nice scope.  I am a little surprised you feel the need for so much magnification, but if you do, your options are a bit limited.

ILya

macky View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2006 at 18:16
I guess I don't know what it is ...... not sure if it's a brain defect or not .....  but if I can center cross hairs on real big black dot I shoot better groups.  And by better groups I'm talking about all the holes touching eah other kind of better groups.  I'm open to suggestions though ..... I have that 10X42M SS coming and I'll have time to play with that before I leap into the High Mag target scope
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2006 at 18:32

You are probably just a better shot than I am, and/or are shooting at longer distances.  I usually shoot groups at 100yards and I can't tell a difference between groups I shoot at 6x and at 24x. 

What I usually end up with, when shooting paper with a variable scope, is the minimum magnification at which I can resolve bullet holes.  30cal holes I can typically resolve at 6x or so.  22cal holes are usually resolvable at ~10x.  If the target is not black, I can even see some 22cal holes with my 4x24 IOR, although not too clearly.  

ILya

macky View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2006 at 19:13
Interesting ..... I never really tried to shoot at a lower power and then again at a higher to see if one was better or not ..... my mind just tells me that if the target is bigger then it's easier to hit the same spot .... I'm certainly gonna try it and see ...... could prove to be very interesting.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2006 at 19:17

I used to shoot with the scope always set to the highest power, and since every tremor showed up as shaking of the scope I had a hell of a time getting ready to pull the trigger.  At lower magnification I should about the same.  The only difference is that I am less of a nervous wreck .

I tend to shoot without a rear bag, with the rear bag there is a lot less stuff to shake.

ILya

macky View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2006 at 03:08

ILya,

When I get "serious" and want to see how good a "load" is .... I use a front stand and a rear bag.  I move the rifle forward or back, while pulling the stock down into the rear bag to stabilize it, until the cross hairs are perfect.  I've been using a 6-24 and there is NO perceivable movement when the trigger gets squeezed.  Maybe that's the dif

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2006 at 09:53
I am generally more interested in how well I can shoot the gun, so I use a bag or bipod up front and my fist for supporting the buttstock.  When testing handloads I sometimes use the rear bag, but I do not see a lot, if any, difference when I use the rear bag or not.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic