OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Lotu Tec

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lotu Tec
    Posted: February/19/2013 at 15:02
Does the T coating mean the Lotu Tec coating on a Zeiss scope?
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2013 at 15:17
Nope,

"T" refers to a proprietary anti-reflection multicoating.

Edited by Bitterroot Bulls - February/19/2013 at 17:50
-Matt
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2013 at 16:54
T* is Zeiss's own variation of lens multi-coating that they use on all their premium optics.

LotuTec is an additional hydrophobic (beads up and sheds water & oil much like a fresh wax job on a car) lens coating on the external (exposed to the environment) side of objective and ocular lens surfaces only. It is much like Bushnell's "Rainguard," Swarovski's "Swaroclean," Leica's "Aqua-dura," etc.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2013 at 17:53
I don't believe the Swaroclean is a hydrophobic coating.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2013 at 21:32
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

I don't believe the Swaroclean is a hydrophobic coating.

Yeah it is, it is also oleophobic, and it works pretty well!
-Matt
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2013 at 22:53
Does Swarovski state that or are you making the claim ? I haven't seen Swaro make any such claim, but I haven't looked all that hard either. Only thing I could find about Swaroclean or "Easy-to-clean" was the coatings make cleaning water spots, dirt, dust, oils.. etc easier because of the "reduced surface tension" of the coatings.
Oldtrader3 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldtrader3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2013 at 09:15
T coating means Tessar.  All Zeiss optics made in Germany for the last 20 years or more will have T* coatings on the lenses.

Edited by Oldtrader3 - February/21/2013 at 00:18
CDR3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2013 at 09:39
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

Does Swarovski state that or are you making the claim ? I haven't seen Swaro make any such claim, but I haven't looked all that hard either. Only thing I could find about Swaroclean or "Easy-to-clean" was the coatings make cleaning water spots, dirt, dust, oils.. etc easier because of the "reduced surface tension" of the coatings.

I thought reduced surface tension is how all hydrophobic coatings work. It was my understanding that Swarovski has not advertised the hydrophobic qualities of Swaroclean for business or patent issues, but I might be wrong on that.

The above claim was mine alone, as I have tested my Swaroclean-equipped optic, and found it work just like any other hydrophobic coated optic. Put it under the faucet, and the water beads up and rolls away.
-Matt
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2013 at 11:08
Yes, Swaroclean is a hydrophobic coating. I don't know why Swaro hasn't emphasized the benefits of Swaroclean more than they have, but it works in the same way as the others. Reducing surface tension is what causes water to bead up and run off easily, as on a waxed car finish.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2013 at 13:46
Surprised they don't make those claims then as their closest competitors, Zeiss and Leica both have hydrophobic and hydrophilic coatings so it would be odd that Swarovski would be concerned about patent issues when the other two are not. I, for one, happen to place alot of weight on these type coatings and if deciding between two optics, one with/one without, the one with the coating will get the nod sure as heck if everything else is relatively equal.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2013 at 16:36
Me too, Roy. I don't understand why they don't emphasize Swaroclean more, as I'm sold on the virtues of hydrophobic coatings. I remember when they were adding Swaroclean to the EL series they did so with hardly any mention of that fact. Maybe they believe the average high end optics buyer already knows what SC is.

I could be mistaken, but I believe Zeiss got sued by Bushnell when they introduced LotuTec. Don't know what became of that.
Ted

JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2013 at 16:40
Swaro did the same thing when they started giving the SLCneu all the latest greatest coatings, including Swaroclean, I believe around 2006.  They never said anything about it, but it started showing up printed on the boxes they come in.  Swaro is such a good outfit, and treats its customers so well people would buy them anyway.  
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2013 at 17:18
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Me too, Roy. I don't understand why they don't emphasize Swaroclean more, as I'm sold on the virtues of hydrophobic coatings. I remember when they were adding Swaroclean to the EL series they did so with hardly any mention of that fact. Maybe they believe the average high end optics buyer already knows what SC is.

I could be mistaken, but I believe Zeiss got sued by Bushnell when they introduced LotuTec. Don't know what became of that.

Bushnell and Zeiss came to an agreement because Zeiss came out with hydro type coatings before Bushnell, but they were not suitable (durable) enough for use on sport optics. Zeiss was using them on their eye wear lenses. Bushnell developed a hydro coating that was durable enough for sport optics so the legal powders to be for both companies figured they would settle the mess between themselves instead of dragging some long draw out law suit.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2013 at 20:10
Roy,

I remember some controversy about Zeiss and Bushnell when this was all happening, and heard that Swarovski only went on the "easy to clean" oleophobic properties of their coating, in order to avoid the controversy themselves.

That was the rumor anyways.

I think the newest oleophobic/hydrophobic coatings are pretty impressive:

-Matt
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2013 at 20:54
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

Roy,

I remember some controversy about Zeiss and Bushnell when this was all happening, and heard that Swarovski only went on the "easy to clean" oleophobic properties of their coating, in order to avoid the controversy themselves.

That was the rumor anyways.

I think the newest oleophobic/hydrophobic coatings are pretty impressive:

Pretty impressive. Any video on how it deals with dust?
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2013 at 21:18

Some more cool coatings.

Edited to make link work.

Edited by RifleDude - February/21/2013 at 11:09
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic