OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Weaver base/Leupold rings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kherfurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weaver base/Leupold rings
    Posted: April/19/2006 at 16:36

Chris,

Recently, I purchased a Burris Scope (Fullfield II) and Leupold rings from SWFA. I took them to my gunsmith. I had them mount the scope and rings on a Weaver one piece dovetail base that was already mounted on my Sako 7 mm Rem Mag and then bore sight the scope. I took the rifle to the range to do the final sight in and after 60 rounds and much frustration I determined that the rear scope ring had moved forward out of the locking screws (and scratched the barrel of my scope).  I returned  the rifle to the gunsmith and received a call yesterday that the Leupold rings and the Weaver base are incompatible and I would need to replace the base. They told me that the locking ring on the base and the locking ring on the Leupold rings were different diameters.  I have two questions. Are the Weaver dovetail base and Leupold rings in fact incompatible?  Do you think the scratch from the front Leupold Ring on the scope barrel will affect the scopes long term survivability under mountain weather conditions?

Kim
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2006 at 23:35
Just to clarify:  your Weaver base is the type that has crosslots in it, right? and Leupold Rings that you have are the PRW ones, right?  If that is the case than they should be perfectly compatible.

I do not understand what "locking ring on the base" is.  Weaver-type rings should fit with Weaver-type base.  They are attached to the base via a crossbolt.  The ring itself is around the scope tube.  Did the scope simply slide inside the rings?  That would indicate that the rings were not tightened enough.  It may also be useful to lap the rings.  As for the scratch on the tube, that is typically a cosmetic thing which should not effect the function of the scope.

ILya

kherfurt View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kherfurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2006 at 09:51
Both the Weaver bases and the Leupold rings have a small half circle groove machined in the base and rings. The two flat head windage screws on either side of the base which screw into the base have a small ridge on the back side of the heads. This ridge on the screw heads"locks" into the half circle groove in the base and rings as the screws are tightened to keep the rings from moving.  I was unaware that the Weaver base and the Leupold rings had different size grooves machined in them.  That is what the gunsmith said. He said that is why the scope "walked" on me.
Kim
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2006 at 11:42

That is the so-called "standard" scope mounting system.  I did not realize Weaver made a base of this type.  THey have their own system that I prefer.  What you described is the rear ring.  The front ring has a dovetail and needs to be turned 90deg to be fixed in, right?  It is entirely possible that there are some manufacturing tolerances between different makers.  I recall that I could not make a Refield base of this type work with non-Redfield rings.  That's when I switched to Weaver/Picatinny type bases and rings and never looked back.  However, I like to tinker with stuff and move scopes around so for me the standard mounting system does not work well anyway.  If you do not plan to move the scope around the standard system should work just fine.  I am a little surprised that your gunsmith did not see the problem when he installed the scope.  With this mounting system it is probably best to use base and rings from the same manufacturer, be it Leupold or Weaver.

ILya

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2006 at 14:59
Your base is one of the really old Weaver --Redfield types. I'll bet the windage screws have really round heads instead of the more flatter ones seen today. Yes the gunsmith is correct, as I recall the weaver has a smaller circle (why it didn't grab). You could however take a set of Leo windage screws from some other Leo base, perhaps the smith has one hanging around and use those in the weaver as I believe they are the same thread pitch and size.
Ring Master View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Master of the Rings

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ring Master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2006 at 16:09

I think these are Weaver Grand Slam turn in rings and bases are as described above by Kim.  These are NOT the ring & bases known as "Weaver Style". On the norm, these are good for one mounting before they make the southern turn and start going away. I had a couple sets go south a few years ago................ never again. For my money, I'll stay with a steel Weaver style rings and bases.

RM

Ron
NRA Life Member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic