OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

S&W

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: S&W
    Posted: February/11/2013 at 18:10
S&W m&p45

Anyone have any experience with these?? Opinions?
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2013 at 20:27
My wife loved hers.... 5,000+ rounds, never a hiccup.
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2013 at 21:28
Originally posted by tman1965 tman1965 wrote:

Good info... I've been looking at that little jewel...

I would change your signature line a bit (don't get me wrong, I LIKE it...)

I WILL die on my feet, rather than live on my knees...  just a thought.  Good either way. 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2013 at 11:55
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Good info... I've been looking at that little jewel...

I would change your signature line a bit (don't get me wrong, I LIKE it...)

I WILL die on my feet, rather than live on my knees...  just a thought.  Good either way. 

I think you would like the M&P. It's a bit heavier than some, but dead nuts accurate and 100% reliable. We also had it in 40 and it was the same way, so I don't think the 45 was a fluke. As for my signature line, done deal! 
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2013 at 18:45
S&W or clock.
Preference??
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2013 at 19:09
S&W or clock?? I'll take the S&W.... if I need to use it, I don't much care what time it was!

Just kidding ya Rustic! I'll assume you meant glock, and in that case my advice is to go feel them both for yourself and decide which fits you best. 
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2013 at 22:12

S&W or clock?? I'll take the S&W.... if I need to use it, I don't much care what time it was!

Just kidding ya Rustic! I'll assume you meant glock, and in that case my advice is to go feel them both for yourself and decide which fits you best. 

My bad.
I guess I forgot how to spell.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2013 at 07:57
Originally posted by rustic rustic wrote:

S&W or clock.
Preference??

I know you mean Glock, and would never disparage such an evolutionary leap forward in firearm technology and perfection.

I spoke with a long time friend of mine a while back. He is a Fish and Wildlife officer (Carp Cop). He told me they were trading their S&W M&P 40s for Glock 35s because they wer having problems with the S&Ws breaking. I can't verify this right now, so take it with a grain of salt.

Now the Carp Cop and I are both Glock guys, but don't think I haven't looked at a M&P more than once. Just doesn't make sense to change at this point.

Look at both and see which one you like best and go from there. I didn't have a choice, the Glock was picked for me, and I used to call it a Saturday night special with a really good marketing plan. Now I carry one.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2013 at 16:40
For many years I took a dim view of those plastic Glocks. The department pick was a Glock 22 and they are going on 11 yrs of abuse with no significant failures.  The grip of the M&P feels better.  The Sig P220 also a .45 has been a long time favorite of mine and was my last carry pistol as a Texas Peace Officer.  Wish I had all the pistols I have carried over the years.  H&K also has a new .45 which I came very close to purchasing and would have had I not needed the funds for another project. Still running strong and still available as are mags is the time proven 1911 which is probably the best pick as far as durability ---we know it holds up, but it is an expert only gun - a thinking mans gun- which is why so many have been unable to carry it without a negligent discharge. Meanwhile I am very much a Smith and Wesson revolver fan although I miss the firing pin on the hammer and believe the color case hardened hammers  were better.  I tend to think it odd that fish cops would select the model 35 over the enclosed slide of the model 22 because the posibility that debree could jam the model  35 coming through the hole on top of the slide.  I still miss the feel of a revolver and recently noticed that they have come full circle and that the old model 65 and 66 which were so popular have been reborn in the L frame 7 shot version as  model 619 and 620 which I would very much like to own. 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
DCAMM94 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2013 at 17:28
I managed to pick up a 13+1 Glock 23C in December.  It is an absolute joy to shoot.  Now, if I could only find brass, bullets, dies, and powder...
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2013 at 11:42
Another one to consider is the Springfield XD or XDm series.  I have had a ton of experience with them and shot them a lot.  Been very happy with them.  I have had 9s, .40s, and .45s in the XD model and 3 different .40s in the XDm model.  Total I think I have had 12 different pistols between the two models.  I have not had a single issues with any of them.  Extremely reliable, plenty accurate, they feel good in my hands, and the grip angle is just right for me.

I have had Glock 23s as well and they also are fantastic weapons. 

I have not owned an M&P but have shot a few of them.  They seem overall very good as well. 

They all have pro's and cons.  I think the grip angle on a glock is to much of an angle.  Don't get me wrong, it works once you are used to it, but I always hated when I would get used to it and then trade to my 1911.  It would always take a few rounds down range to get it to point in naturally again.  That is honestly the biggest reason I changed to XDs.

The glock has the best trigger reset of the 3.  The Xd has a little slop after the reset and the M&P reset you can barely feel.  The triggers all suck IMO.  But I am a 1911 trigger fan, so nothing else seems good. 

The M&P and the XDm have the interchangeable grip panels so you can fit them to your hands better.  The M&P trigger for some reason would sting my finger on recoil.  Not sure what I was doing to cause that, but I don't have that problem on the XD or Glock pistols. 

They are all priced about the same.  Picking any one of them you are getting a good quality pistol that has been proven very reliable over and over again.  I would get a hold of all of them and see how they fit in your hand and see if they seem to point in naturally for you.  If possible put 100 rounds down range with each of them, that will really tell you if you will like them or not. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2013 at 23:34
+1 on what Supertool had to say. It pretty much mirrors my thoughts as well. And the Sig P220 that Urimaginaryfrnd mentioned is another very good choice. And if you are okay with spending the extra money for the Sig it would be my first choice of the guns talked about so far. Also as far as the triggers are concerned. There are trigger kits for the XD/XDms, Glocks and the M&Ps that transform the triggers into some very nice triggers. And since you are in Sturgis I would go to Barsto and talk with Erv about them if you are interested.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2013 at 11:56
I've always been a fan of S&W. My first duty pistol was a S&W Mod. 66, and my first duty auto pistol was a S&W 6906. If it wasn't for S&W and the 39/59 series of auto pistols, cops might still be packing wheel guns, since S&W was the first to get police dept.s to start using autos. S&W addressed all the issues of safety with their 2nd and 3rd generations of 39/59s, and they were an excellent duty pistol as far as I'm concerned. I still can't figure why a Glock is supposed to be so superior since it reintroduced an issue that the 39/59s addressed, which is an external safety that can turn the pistol off when needed, but that's another topic.
When Glocks started to become recognized as an alternative to other auto pistols, S&W introduced their own polymer framed pistol and called it the Sigma. It was decent pistol, but the Sigma had a stigma, as critiques said Sigma meant Smith Invented Glock Made Already, and Glock sued S&W. S&W lost and paid the price, but then every manufacturor started making combat tuperware pistols with plastic frames. S&W redesigned the Sigma and called it the M&P. The M&P is a fine pistol and S&W is doing a fine job with inovations that address market demands; you can actually get a M&P with an external safety (though I've never seen one). You can get M&Ps for everything from concealed carry models to competition models. S&W is fighting to take back their market share form Glock. I don't know if they will ever do it, but they do have some decent products.
I would like to see some of their old products come back; I could use a S&W1066, and a S&W 66 in 2 1/2 and 6 inch barrels with firing pins on the hammers and counter sunk chambers. A 5 inch mountain gun in 44spl. would be nice too. 
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2013 at 12:22
My buddy had a Sigma.  I seen it go through 3 or 4, 4 day pistol classes and it never missed a beat.  I think he paid just under $200 for it.  He sold it and bought a Glock.  Never could figure out why, he had a reliable pistol that functioned wonderfully, and bought a gun that cost nearly 3 times as much to achieve the same thing.  At times I wish I would have bought it off of him, I think he sold it for $150.  Would have been a great bargan. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2013 at 12:43
I'm with you on the Glock grip angle, ST. Why they thought such a severe angle was ergonomically correct is beyond me. I hate that aspect of their design. Otherwise, Glocks are well-designed and reliable.

Since the series introduction, I've thought the M&P grip design has perhaps the best feel of any other polymer frame pistol I've ever had in my hands... to me.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2013 at 12:54
I had a Sigma for a while, and never had an issue with it. The PD had sent me to a Sigma armorer course and I got it as a program gun. The problem was, we were into Glocks so I had no real use for it other than T&E. It was every bit as good as the Glock, but after the T&E everyone would laugh at my Sigma when I showed up with it (that stigma thing). I tried to sell it for what I had in it, but couldn't. I couldn't even sell it to a gun runner at a gun showBig Grin just kidding. I finally traded it and took a beating. Would have been better if I had kept it, at least it worked.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2013 at 13:18
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

but after the T&E everyone would laugh at my Sigma when I showed up with it (that stigma thing).

I think that was a big reason Rustin sold his as well.  Everyone gave him a hard time about it. 

Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2013 at 13:29
Redding and Lee Precision wish to thank all of you Glock shooters for making new items of reloading gear necessary (Lee Bulge Buster and Redding equiv.) since Glock brass is often deformed/bulged so badly that normal full- length sizing dies can't correct it to reliably chamber in normal pistols.

Since it's my habit to always leave the range with way more brass than I fired, I've learned to spot Glock- fired brass and give it special treatment and thus prevent the random odd failures- to- chamber caused by Glock- fired brass.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2013 at 16:25
I found a m&p 45 for $412.00 NIB.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2013 at 16:28
Thats a good price Rustic.  They are usually in the $450 to $500 range.  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic