OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

VX-II 4-12x40mm VS 4200 Elite 4-16x40mm

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomholzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VX-II 4-12x40mm VS 4200 Elite 4-16x40mm
    Posted: June/24/2004 at 19:03

Please help to provide some background on a two-scope one-on-one shootout on these optics:

LEU56950

Leupold VX-II 4-12x40mm (Multicoat 4)

VS

Bushnell 4200 Elite 4-16x40mm (Rainguard)

Please offer your opinion on the best choice based on performance and return rate.

ntackett View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ntackett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2004 at 21:03

Have had the 4x12 leupold for over 10 years now on a 300 wm over 400 rounds no problem, Im only 61 but have seen scopes go south, won't blast any one but the leupy is good I think.

Norm

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2004 at 22:52
The Leupold Vari-x ll's use the Multicoat 4 lens coatings on the ocular and objective lens only to the best of my knowledge. The lens are " fully coated" as opposed to the Elites fully mulit-coated lens on all of the lens within the scope. The Leupold 4-12 is probably best compared to the Elite 3200 4-12, not the 4200. The Leupold is approx. 4.5 oz lighter than the Elite 4200 4-16x40. Also, the Leupold, I believe is rated in the high 80's for percentage of light transmission as opposed to the Elite 4200 claiming to be at 95 percent or as Bushnell advertises, " Bar none, the brightest scope in the world".

Edited by Roy Finn
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2004 at 23:28

I've gotta go with Roy on this one.  A lot of people automatically assume that Leupold is of higher quality than Bushnell.  In most cases they are right.  Except in the case of the Elite series.  The 3200s are a lot of scope for the money and the 4200s are excellent scopes that compete very favorably against much more expensive brands.  I would not feel at all disadvantaged with a 4200, I would not spend my money on a VX-II.  The VX-II is not a bad scope, but there are better available and one is the 4200 Elite. 

ranburr

Boomholzer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomholzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2004 at 09:08

Thanks guys.

What if I replaced the loopy VX-II with a 3.5-10x40mm VX-III?

Would you go for the VX-III or stick with the 4200 and it's slightly higher magnification range and AO?

Edited by Boomholzer
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2004 at 12:37

That depends on whether or not you need the higher magnification.  If this is for typical deer hunting inside of 300 yards, I say that a max magnification of 10X is plenty.  If this is going on a long range varmint rifle, I would go with the higher magnification.  If you were to compare both scopes with equal power settings (apples to apples) I would probably go with the Leupold.  Not because I think it is a better scope, but because I know that if I have a problem with it 30yrs from now, it will be fixed or replaced without any hassle.  In my opinion, the quality between a 4200 Elite and a Leupold VXIII are very close.  The deciding factor would be Leupolds warranty.  That being said, if their is more than a $50.00 difference in price in favor of the Elite, well I just bought a new Elite. 

ranburr

Boomholzer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomholzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2004 at 17:27

Agreed that 10x is more than plenty of magnification for hunting purposes.

I'm trying to force the rifle into multiple roles and that is making the optics decision harder than it should be.

100-400yrd paper/target shooting will be it's first priority but I wanted to include low enough magnification to be able to hunt with it if I chose to do so. 10x is enough for 400yrds but I want alittle more.

I'm now seriously considering "letting 'er snap" on a Mark4 4.5-14x40 30mm with TT and side focus. (it is a "tactical" rifle). I really don't need the 30mm tube for 100-400yrd elevation adjustments but, I like the 14x magnification and TT adjustability for different target ranges.........and the quick side focus. 

Wanting greater than 10x magnification: for a VX-III that means $490 (no parallax adjustment?) and another $110 gets you the 30mm tube, TT and side focus. It seems to me that the additional $110 is well spent.

Now it is a economic debate between $340 and $600.

But the Loopy does get me about $70 worth in free shipping and Std mounts.

Plus the loopy is 2" shorter and weighs 2oz less. The length being more of a consideration.

Now the price difference between the loopy and a 4200 Elite (say a 4-16x40) gets alittle more significant.

Edited by Boomholzer
tbone1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbone1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2004 at 08:57

I have a Leupold 4.5-14x50 LR Tactical 30mm tube.  I have used the scope to target shoot out to 800 yards and have also hunted with it for several years.  I would highly recommend it for long range shooting.  Now I am not saying that it is optically better than the Elite, quite honestly I don't know.  I don't have any experience with the Elite, but I would agree that the quality is probably very close.  I can tell you the reason that I like it for long range is because it tracks beautifully.  I can crank up the elevation from 200 to 500 yards, dial left or right for wind and then come back to 200 and it shoots exactly where it did before.  I also really like the side parralax adj.  Very handy and much easier than if it is on the end of the objective.

As far as needing more than 10x goes.  In my opinion, it is not really necessary.  In fact the only reason I can see where it would come in handy is if you are varmit hunting because you would be looking at very small targets at long range.  But I can tell you that 14x will not help you shoot any better on the range and it won't really help in a hunting situation either at least not looking at deer sized game.  I would just as soon have a 10x.

redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2004 at 14:08

i think the mark 4 scope would be a great choice. if you are willing to spend the extra money, do it. it will let you shoot out a long ways, and its always better to have somehting, and not need it, than not have something, and need it. i think the extra magnification is a great choice, and it has leupold on it, so you know its a good choice

cory

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic