OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Military crimped primers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Military crimped primers
    Posted: February/04/2013 at 11:56
Whats the best way to remove them? Prep them for reloading.  Got a bunch of 5.56 rounds with them in it that I wasn't aware had it when the guy sold it to me, he didn't disclose that tid bit of info.  I've been thinking the RCBS trim mate adapter would be fastest. Anyone confirm?
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2013 at 12:22
http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/25263/catid/8/Super_Swage_600
Probably fastest you can get without going to a 1050.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2013 at 12:58
I use the RCBS trim mate adapter.  I was just using it this last weekend.  I bought 1500 brass and it was not disclosed it was crimped either. Cencored   It works pretty well.  Just takes a couple seconds per case. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2013 at 15:51
I have the RCBS swagger combo. I hate it and crimped primer pockets....
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
M1Thumb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M1Thumb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2013 at 21:41

Well my Redneck method is to take a hand reamer for getting rid of the crimps and I took it out of the little wooden handle and chucked it up in the small drill press set it to the lowest speed and went to town cleared about 1700 rds in about 1.5 hours

I just grab them in my hand and press the pocket up against the cutter

Still gotta run them through the RCBS prep station to uniform the primer pockets though

Oh BTW if you have a mandrel to trhread the RCBS trim mate tool onto (8/32 threads) it works just as fast if not better.
Geo-spatially speaking you missed :o)
284winguy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 284winguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2013 at 05:28
 I just use the Hornady hand tool. It's a little slow, but it's a one time deal. Once you trim away the crimp you are done with that case forever. The Dillon swager is nice, maybe not practical for just a few 100 cases though.
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2013 at 13:13
A Standard de- burring tool (like RCBS/Wilson) works just fine and most handloaders already have one.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic