OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Ring height questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluto77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ring height questions
    Posted: January/30/2013 at 15:04

I did a search on this and found the thread that has the information about it, but I don't think I'm smart enough to follow all of that and figure it out on my own.  That being said, if one of the smarter people here would be so kind as to help me with this, I would greatly appreciate it. 

I need to get rings/mount for two different rifles.  The first one is a Remington 700 5R, I have a Badger Ordnance 20 MOA rail, and I'm mounting a SWFA SS 5-20x50.  I'm thinking I need "medium" height rings.  I'm not sure which ones I'm going to get yet either.  2nd rifle is a Winchester Model 70 in 300 Win Mag.  I'm not going to add the rail, was just going to weaver mount.  I have the same scope for this rifle.  Again, any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks!
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2013 at 15:31
Which brand of rings are you considering? 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2013 at 15:32
I have a stiller tac 30 with 20 moa base m24 profile barrel and have medium high seekins rings. With my butler creek caps a have a very small gap between barrel and base.   This is with the swfa ss5-20x
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2013 at 15:51
For the Win.. and the weaver mounts I would get the Warne rings.  I like them alot.  I got their tool which makes mounting scopes very easy.  No guessing how tight to turn the screws! Medium rings should work as I can use low with 40mm objectives.
take em!
bluto77 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluto77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2013 at 16:02

Thanks for the advice.  I was considering Badger Ord rings,  but have no good reason why.  Also Leupold rings because I have a 30 mm set already that can be attached to picatinny rail.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic