OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Sig P224

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sig P224
    Posted: January/30/2013 at 09:45
I realize it's pretty new and in short supply, but anybody shot one? Thoughts?
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2013 at 15:00
Best I can do is point you to the Sigforum. There maybe other posts on the 224 as well. But this is the one I saw.

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/4610045113
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2013 at 15:05
Also Top Gun Supply does have them in stock.

https://www.topgunsupply.com/p224/
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2013 at 19:44
Thanks for the reply, Sparky!

Actually, that has to be the ONLY online thread about the P224 I haven't read already! Too many discussions seem to degenerate into speculation and harsh criticisms about the P224 from folks who've never even seen one in person, much less shot one.

I can find one easy if I decided to buy one; there are several for sale right now on Gunbroker.

I'm a fan of the "classic series" all-metal Sigs (just as I'm a fan of the all-steel Kahrs), and have never totally warmed up to polymer frames, even though I know full well there's nothing structurally / mechanically wrong with polymer done right. I'm just old-fashioned about certain things, one of them being that plastic has no place on a fine firearm. My concern about the P224 is whether the seemingly high bore axis relative to the short grip might make the pistol harder to control, though I've had no difficulty controlling my even smaller Kahr MK40.  But, the Kahr has a lower bore axis, and the frame is stainless, so it isn't really top heavy like the P224 looks to be. I have a P229, and the P224's bore axis is the same height above the grip as the P229... however, the P229 also has longer grip purchase to help keep the muzzle down for fast target reacquisition. Having spent a lot of primers behind my P229, the Sig M of A is like an old friend to me, but I'm looking for something just a tad more concealable... and, to be honest, I just want a new gun... but I also don't want to be a beta tester.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2013 at 23:34
You are welcome. I have only read about the 224, but it just does not fit any need for me. Plus I have not shot a polymer Sig that I liked. I did not like either the 290 or the 250. But I do like Sigs, I have two 229s one in 40S&W and one in 9mm. And the same in my two 226s one in 40 and one in 9. Since you are familiar with Sigs I would take a long hard look at a 239. I am looking hard at one to replace my Kahr CW9. I shot the 239 very well and I have yet to talk with anyone who did not shot it well. I am also toying with a S&W Shield in 9 after I shot one last fall and was very impressed with it.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2013 at 12:16
Yeah, I can't stand any of the polymer Sigs either. My wife has a Kahr CW9, by the way, and she shoots it very well. I'm impressed with it. Just out of curiosity, are you looking to replace yours because you don't like it, it hasn't run reliably, or are you just looking for something different?

I like the P239 pretty well; I'm just not in the single stack mag mindset when I consider a Sig, and I like the fact the P224 is a little smaller while retaining higher mag capacity.

Good feedback on the ShieldI I like things about that pistol, but again, I've got an anti-polymer frame bias I'd have to shake before I could consider one... even though the M&P series in general have maybe the best grip ergos I've ever felt.
Ted

SChunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SChunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2013 at 12:25
Ted, I have a shield in 40. The single stack is good for carry, the pistol fits my hand, and i would highly recommend it. Bought the nine(tired of waiting for the forty) but traded back for the 40 when it came available. No regrets. Thankful I got this just before the politics drove the price up. Paid 400. Can't get it now for under 560. Thirty days made all the difference!!
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2013 at 12:43
I hear ya, Sam. Politics have driven up the price of lots of stuff in gundom!

I have no issue with single stack. My Kahr MK40 is a single stack .40, and I love it and shoot it pretty damn well for such a tiny "pocket" pistol! I also have a Rohrbaugh R9S 9, an H&K P7 USP, and a 1911, so I'm pretty well covered for carry options in all sizes of single stack pistols.

For my next toy, the idea of combining more mag capacity than single stacks offer with smallish size for concealment kinda intrigued me, and I'm not a Glock guy (sorry CTSmile), so that option's off the table.
Ted

Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2013 at 15:45
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Yeah, I can't stand any of the polymer Sigs either. My wife has a Kahr CW9, by the way, and she shoots it very well. I'm impressed with it. Just out of curiosity, are you looking to replace yours because you don't like it, it hasn't run reliably, or are you just looking for something different?

I like the P239 pretty well; I'm just not in the single stack mag mindset when I consider a Sig, and I like the fact the P224 is a little smaller while retaining higher mag capacity.

Good feedback on the ShieldI I like things about that pistol, but again, I've got an anti-polymer frame bias I'd have to shake before I could consider one... even though the M&P series in general have maybe the best grip ergos I've ever felt.

For the most part I like my Kahr and I do shoot it fairly well, but I have to concentrate more to do it. And the mags can be difficult at times. Where as the 239 is easy to shoot as well as my 226 and 229 Sigs. The 239 is also thinner than the 229 so it is easier to conceal for me when it is warmer outside. And lastly the 239 is a proven performer.

For me the only M&P that I liked was the Shield in 9mm. It was very easy to shoot well for me. In the past I would have been looking at a 40S&W but with today's ammo there is no need for it.

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2013 at 16:09
Originally posted by Sparky Sparky wrote:

In the past I would have been looking at a 40S&W but with today's ammo there is no need for it.

Sorry to go off topic a bit here, but this comment always makes me wonder.  I carry a nine most of the time as well, so I am not intending to argue with you.  But everyone always says with today's ammo a 9 is as good as a 40 or 45.  But the .40 and .45 is todays ammo as well and has the same performance increase as the 9mm stuff does.  So that would lead me to believe that a .40 is still better in regard to making a slightly bigger hole and maybe penetrating a little deeper because of the added weight.  And the same goes for the .45.  Or is my thought process all wrong?
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2013 at 16:24
I think the same ST.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2013 at 16:43
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Sorry to go off topic a bit here, but this comment always makes me wonder.  I carry a nine most of the time as well, so I am not intending to argue with you.  But everyone always says with today's ammo a 9 is as good as a 40 or 45.  But the .40 and .45 is todays ammo as well and has the same performance increase as the 9mm stuff does.  So that would lead me to believe that a .40 is still better in regard to making a slightly bigger hole and maybe penetrating a little deeper because of the added weight.  And the same goes for the .45.  Or is my thought process all wrong?

I tend to agree with your thinking, but I believe what he means is that the improvements have made 9mm so much more effective than it ever has been in the past to the point that it's no longer so much a "cartridge effectiveness vs. mag capacity" debate anymore, since you can now have both. The latest police engagement studies I've seen seem to support the premise that there hasn't been a statistically significant difference in first round stops or lethality between LEOs using 9mm, .357, .40, or .45.
Ted

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2013 at 16:46
I think along the lines of, a 9 will do pretty much all you will "need" an allow you a smaller gun or more mag capacity while doing it.  Will modern 40 or 45 outperform modern 9, ballistically yes, but does one kill "deader"??
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2013 at 16:58
Right. Plus, given its chief virtues of lower recoil and more rounds in reserve, which would help provide better control, faster follow-up, and possibly more kill zone hits, couldn't a credible argument be made that perhaps 9mm may actually be MORE effective in a real-world engagement?
Ted

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2013 at 17:04
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

provide better control, faster follow-up, and possibly more kill zone hits, 

That is actually one of my reasons for selling off my .40s and going to 9mm.  Plus my wife shoots the .9mm much better so its easier to deal with one less caliber.

Buy my biggest reason is, they all suck so I may as well get one that will hold as many rounds as possible til I can get my hands on a rifle. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2013 at 17:31

http://www.chuckhawks.com/handgun_power_chart.htm

Handgun Cartridge Power Chart

By Chuck Hawks

Caliber Load Bullet MV (fps) ME (ft. lbs.) Penetration (10% gel.) AIT (goats at Strasbourg) One Shot Stop % Test Brl.
.22LR CCI, Rem, Win Hi.Vel. 40gr.LRN 955 81 12.8" n/a 21% unk.
.22LR CCI,Rem,Win Hi.Vel. 37grLHP 975 78 10.3" n/a 29% unk.
.22LR Rem. Yellow Jacket 33gr.TCHP 1259 116 n/a n/a 33% 6" Colt
.22LR CCI Stinger 32gr.LHP 1262 113 9.8" n/a 34% 6" Colt
.22WMR CCI +V 30gr.HP 1450 140 9.2" n/a 40% unk.
.22WMR CCI +V 30gr.HP 1300 120 n/a n/a n/a 2" NAA
.22WMR Winchester 40gr.JHP 1400 174 13" n/a 42% 6.5" Ruger
.22WMR Winchester 40gr.JHP 1098 108 n/a n/a n/a 2" NAA
.22WMR Federal 50gr.JHP 817 74 n/a n/a n/a 2" NAA
.25ACP Winchester 45gr.Ex.Pt. 815 66 13.8" n/a 25% 2" test
.25ACP All 50gr.FMJ 760 64 18" n/a 23% unk.
.25ACP MagSafe Defender 22gr.Frag. 1610 n/a 6" n/a 41%est. 2.5" test
.32ACP Winchester 60gr.STHP 970 125 6.5" n/a 63% 3.2" Wthr.
.32ACP Magsafe Defender 50gr.Frag. 1250 191 7.8" n/a 57%est. 3.5" test
.380ACP Federal 90gr.JHP 1005 200 14.4" 11.06 sec. 69% 3.6" SIG
.380ACP Rem. Golden Saber 102gr.JHP 925 194 9.4" n/a 64% 3.6" SIG
.380ACP Remington 88gr.JHP 1000 195 12.8" 13.46 sec. 54% 3.6" SIG
.380ACP Federal Hydra-Shok 90gr.JHP 1007 200 10.5" 10.94 sec. 69% 3.6" SIG
.380ACP Cor-Bon +P 90gr.JHP 1041 217 9" 11.12 sec. 70% 3.6" SIG
.380ACP Fed, Rem, Win. 95gr.FMJ 955 190 17" 22.8 sec. 51% 3.6" SIG
.380ACP CCI Gold Dot 90gr.JHP 1030 212 8" n/a 67% 3.6" SIG
.380ACP Glaser Blue 70gr.Frag. 1313 268 5" 7.94 sec. 75% 3.6" SIG

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2013 at 17:32
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Buy my biggest reason is, they all suck so I may as well get one that will hold as many rounds as possible til I can get my hands on a rifle. 

Yep! My hope is that if, God forbid, I ever have to use a CC pistol in self-defense, that it acts as a deterrent without actually having to fire a shot, which happens in many cases. I personally wouldn't want to be shot by a firearm of any chambering!
Ted

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2013 at 18:26

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2013 at 19:15
That info is very dated, as it doesn't include more modern ammo. Plus, there number of engagements using 9mm dwarfs the other rounds by a considerable margin, over a longer span of time, with old tech bullets thrown in the mix, so the data on it will naturally look less favorable. More recent tests conducted (I posted on here a couple months ago) show much less difference between the major self-defense rounds. Current ballistic gel tests with modern bullets (Gold Dot, HST, Critical Defense, etc.) has mirrored the field data by showing not much difference in actual wound channel size when the best bullet designs are selected for each caliber.

Edit: Actually, the second link you provided in your 2nd post confirms the above statements about there being little real world difference in penetration and wound size in the real world, given good bullet designs in all.

Edited by RifleDude - January/31/2013 at 19:21
Ted

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2013 at 19:22
Bottom line: compared to rifles and shotguns, the popular auto pistol rounds -- all of them -- suck.
Ted

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic