OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Raised "ridge" inside scope ring at connection sit
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Raised "ridge" inside scope ring at connection sit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjclay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Raised "ridge" inside scope ring at connection sit
    Posted: January/27/2013 at 15:38
l'm getting mixed opinions on this. where some are telling me the rings must be perfectly smooth, others have told me it is nomal to have a slightly raised edge where the top ring connects to the bottom ring. this raised area will leave a mark on the scope. which is so?
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2013 at 16:00
not sure what you are describing... any chance you can take a picture?
take em!
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2013 at 17:42
What rings are we talking about? 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
rjclay View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjclay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2013 at 19:40
the top half of the ring that goes around the scope and is usually secured with torx fasteners. one side of this top ring has a palpable lip transversing its width at its end where it connects to the lower ring; this presumably to better secure the scope(according to older rifleman). it doesn't really harm the scope but usually leaves a mark.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2013 at 20:06
Sorry, meant brand of rings. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
rjclay View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjclay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2013 at 20:13
weaver and redfield
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2013 at 21:24
Any ridges would reduce contact area, and be counterproductive to securing the scope.
-Matt
rjclay View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjclay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2013 at 22:47
not if it was there to put a small indent into the tube-i'm talking very small from a smooth transverse raise of a few thousanths.i've felt this on several samples and told it was intentional. are their rings that are available that don't need lapped?
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2013 at 23:16
Originally posted by rjclay rjclay wrote:

not if it was there to put a small indent into the tube-i'm talking very small from a smooth transverse raise of a few thousanths.i've felt this on several samples and told it was intentional. are their rings that are available that don't need lapped?

In order for it not to reduce contact, the indent in the tube would need to fully and perfectly accomodate the ridge, which is not likely.

All of the high-end rings should not need lapping, if the base they are mounting on is square and true.  Here on the OT, we have gone round and round on this one a number of times, though, and opinions vary.

I really like TPS rings.

Seekins, Talley, others also make great rings.  None of them have a ridge or raise or whatever.
-Matt
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2013 at 06:04
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

Any ridges would reduce contact area, and be counterproductive to securing the scope.

+1. Only Ruffles should have ridges. LOL. Big Grin
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2013 at 08:29

Big Grin  VERY GOOD!!

Originally posted by rjclay rjclay wrote:

There's no reason to intentionally put a dent in a scope.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic