OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Bolt action rifle opinions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2013 at 08:00

VERY GOOD firearms.
  I had actually thought about a CZ 550FS when I decided on aquiring a 9.3x62.  Although I never handled one the drop comb on their stocks are like the one on my S&W(Husqvarna).  It's just too much drop FOR ME to get a decent sight picture through a scope. GREAT with open sights though.
I find that for me get the most out of my shooting,especially in field positions,the LOP and comb height of the stock have to be right.   

Edited by 300S&W - January/28/2013 at 08:16
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2013 at 10:09
Originally posted by kaptainQ kaptainQ wrote:

.  My wife probably wont allow me to spend more than $800- 900 on a rifle.

I'll pass along the best advice I ever got....   Build your wife a big closet for all here shoes, even encourage her to buy more... and you'll never have to worry about buying guns!

It has served me well!
take em!
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2013 at 10:29
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

Originally posted by kaptainQ kaptainQ wrote:

.  My wife probably wont allow me to spend more than $800- 900 on a rifle.

I'll pass along the best advice I ever got....   Build your wife a big closet for all here shoes, even encourage her to buy more... and you'll never have to worry about buying guns!

It has served me well!

LOL. I took a different approach. I got my wife into shooting / hunting many years ago. Now, I buy what I want, when I want (for both of us)!
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2013 at 10:48
Q....  what caliber you thinking about?
take em!
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2013 at 11:02
Remington 700 can be infinitely modified and altered/upgraded, and they usually shoot pretty good. Some of the new Remington stocks are as bad or worse than Tikka's synthetic stock.

Tikka T3 is a very well made rifle, great accuracy, smooth action, and can be altered/upgraded too, just not as many after-market parts as Remington.  T3 stock sucks, but there are now options.

I don't own Savage or Browning.  

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2013 at 12:13
Many good rifles available in your price range you just have to handle them and see what feels the best to you. Good luck in your choice....sorry can't help you with the wife my secret is I never reveal the whole story.
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
kaptainQ View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kaptainQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2013 at 13:25
Not completely sure what caliber.  If I had a favorite it would probably be the .30-06.  However, I kinda like having calibers that aren't very common.  Not sure if its the current political climate or just a passion for firearms and hunting, but I feel like adding to my collection.

What caliber do you guys prefer? 
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2013 at 13:37

Seems you have both the middle ground and upper ground covered.  I'd suggest a .25-06.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2013 at 13:45
I prefer many!   LOL  I was just asking as far as mentioning a real lite weight rifle in a heavy recoiling caliber isn't much fun to shoot... to me anyway.   A buddy of mine picked up a beautiful Tikka wood/stainless steel 30-06 and it hardly gets used cause it kicks worse than his 300 Win Mag - that is not BS either. Now his 300 is heavy... but still.  He needs to put a break on it if he intends to shoot it much.

I am a big fan of the '06, I have two of them.  as far as just shooting.. I like the .204.  I can shoot that longer than any other caliber I have except for .17HMR.  I just got a .260 in a Savage Model 11... I like that round although looks like I'm gonna need to do some loading of my own.  If I can get it to group, it will become my go-to whitetail set-up.  btw, we have 4 of those Savage 11s.

are you looking for a shooter (target/plinking) or hunting rig? 
take em!
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2013 at 16:21
Maybe the tikka t3 hunter in 6.5x55, or a CZ in 6.5x55 or 7x57? or a ruger m77 in either of those calibers?
As was already stated, the list just goes on and on, however, at the end of the day it comes down to whether or not you are happy with your choice.... if so then its hard to go wrong! 
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2013 at 21:10
7x57 hard to beat or 257R also another good one
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2013 at 22:29
Browning 270, lots of ammo selections, flat shooter, hits hard

Light rifles, 60* bolt is nice, tang safeties are nice

Most are real shooters out of the box

Don't get one with the BOSS, it's easy enough to find an accurate load in a 270 without it

Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2013 at 01:24
I have limited experience with Brownings and I have not use for Remingtons.

My preferences lean toward Savage, Tikka and CZ.  With 30-06, I would likely lean toward the CZ.  There is something about combining such a classic cartridge with Mauser action that appeals to me.

ILya

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2013 at 21:24
I'd go with a Kimber 84M Montana in 7-08. Why?

It's super light and handy.
It balances and points very well.
It has one of the best OEM synthetic stocks I've seen on a factory rifle, in terms of ergonomics, weight, and quality.
It has a really nice trigger.
I like 3 position wing safeties.
I like CRF, but not so much for the reasons the gun scribes tell me I should like it.
The action is scaled nicely to the cartridge family it chambers; nice and trim, with no excess weight.
Fit and finish is very nice.
I like short action rifles.
7mm is my favorite bore size because it delivers a great payload on the business end while still being mild on the butt end.
I have a tremendous fondness for 7-08.

My Kimber 84 Classic Select in .260 was finicky and gave me some initial troubles before I finally got it to shoot. Not so with my Montana. It's been a shootin' son of gun right out of the gate, shootin' bugholes with boring regularity! I couldn't ask more of a hardcore hunting rifle!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2013 at 21:42
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

It has one of the best OEM synthetic stocks I've seen on a factory rifle, in terms of ergonomics, weight, and quality.
I like CRF, but not so much for the reasons the gun scribes tell me I should like it.
The action is scaled nicely to the cartridge family it chambers; nice and trim, with no excess weight.
7mm is my favorite bore size because it delivers a great payload on the business end while still being mild on the butt end.

My Kimber 84 Classic Select in .260 was finicky and gave me some initial troubles before I finally got it to shoot. Not so with my Montana. It's been a shootin' son of gun right out of the gate, shootin' bugholes with boring regularity! I couldn't ask more of a hardcore hunting rifle!

What do you like the most about 7-08? I have been looking for another do all cartridge/rifle to loan out to some of the under privileged in my community.

Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2013 at 22:47
+1 on the CZs. I have shoot a number of different CZs and they all have been shooters. They have a nice classic appearance and they are very reasonably priced. And for some reason I want a CZ 527 carbine in 7.62x39. 
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2013 at 23:04

I'd go Kimber as well. Available in wood or synthetic, and darn near any chambering you could ask for.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2013 at 09:41
Originally posted by rustic rustic wrote:

What do you like the most about 7-08? I have been looking for another do all cartridge/rifle to loan out to some of the under privileged in my community.

How much time you have?

- It's very efficient -- requires little powder consumption vs. its effective range and velocity on target due to excellent BC combined with medium burn rate powders optimal for .308 family cases.

- 7mm bullets combine decent mass with very high BC available, fantastic bullet selection in any major design available.

- I've never not been able to get one to shoot. It doesn't seem to be finicky about powders. RL15 & 17, Varget, 4064, 4350, W760... have had great results from all. If there's such a thing as "inherently accurate" cartridges (and I happen to think there's something to that), this is one of 'em.

- It has greater terminal performance (penetration, wound channel size) than its case size would seem to suggest, due to a combination of high BC bullets for high retained velocity, combined with excellent bullet design selection. Not too "underpowered" for elk size critters, within reasonable shot distance. The bullet chosen is what matters.

- Short action = slightly lighter, shorter rifle, given same bbl length.

- Case size allows good OAL latitude for many, if not most rifle magazines to seat bullets close to or touching lands.

- All this in exchange for mild recoil. Milder recoil = average shooter will shoot it better.

- Excellent brass availability, and in a pinch, can size cases from very plentiful and inexpensive .308 brass.

What's not to like? Need I say more?

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2013 at 10:35
^ Sounds like a winner.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2013 at 10:35

What's not to like? Need I say more?

No... but if you do, we'll read it and be amazed!
take em!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic