OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Burris XTR

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riverrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Burris XTR
    Posted: April/17/2006 at 20:24

Have any of you guys used a Burris XTR? What is your evaluation if so? I have a Savage Model 12 that I was thinking of topping with a 3-12X50 Olive Drab. Just wondering if anyone has experienced this scope? Thanks!

Robby

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2006 at 17:40
I looked at one and observed that it was extremely clear and sharp and would focus much closer than the Leupold Mark 4 tacticals that I own. The one I saw had a minor problem with a bad rubber "0" ring on the turret that seals when the cap is on. All in all I was very impressed.  I really think it would be worth the extra money to buy the illuminated version as it has a ballistic  mil dot with known hold over points on the  lower reticle.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
nksmfamjp View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nksmfamjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2006 at 17:09

Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

I looked at one and observed that it was extremely clear and sharp and would focus much closer than the Leupold Mark 4 tacticals that I own. The one I saw had a minor problem with a bad rubber "0" ring on the turret that seals when the cap is on. All in all I was very impressed.  I really think it would be worth the extra money to buy the illuminated version as it has a ballistic  mil dot with known hold over points on the  lower reticle.

I would agree with most of this 100%.  I still need to do some box testing for repeatability.  I can tell you that twisting and returning to 0 is no problem.

That bad oring maybe similar to mine.  It is like 1 turret has a rubber seat and the other doesn't for the caps.  It doesn't cause any problems, it just seems wierd.

Before buying mine, I compared the optics directly to Leupold Mark 4, Sightron III and whatever else they had near $1000.  The Burris was by far the clearest and had the truist color.  The Leupolds were so yellow tinted, that they almost seemed blurry after the focus was set.

I wish they made the illum reticle in a true mildot.  The ballistic mildot is a waste of reticle to me.

BTW. . .the warranty works.  Mine had to go back twice, but we resolved it all within about a month.  The parallax knob was locked up when I received it.  They fixed it and left the scope dirty inside, so it wen back again.  I haven't seen this issue on any of the other store scopes I have tried so I assume it is an anomoly.  The only bad thing is there are some tool marks where the repairman scratched the finish on the threads.  Yes, I'm picky.  In the end, they fixed it which is more than I can say Springfield did with my 1911, but I digress. . .

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2006 at 11:02
The only thing that makes me a little hesitant is the fact that the turrets are extremely tall. As for the quality I like the scope and it is a good value.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Blade_Zero View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blade_Zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2007 at 15:14
Have a query with regard to the illuminated ballistic mildot reticle on the XTR 3-12x50, is the reticle also etched on glass? 

Edited by Blade_Zero
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2007 at 15:30

Originally posted by Blade_Zero Blade_Zero wrote:

Have a query with regard to the illuminated ballistic mildot reticle on the XTR 3-12x50, is the reticle also etched on glass? 

I'm almost certain it is.

Blade_Zero View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blade_Zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2007 at 15:40

Thanks cheaptrick,

The reason I ask is because the illustration on  the Burris XTR page would suggest that it isn't.  I probably should of mentioned that in the previous post...... sorry.

http://www.burrisoptics.com/tactical.html

Edited by Blade_Zero
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2007 at 16:05

Brother, I'm not seeing in the link you provided where it says that the reticle is wire or etched.

Did I miss something??

I don't know for sure either, I just assumed the lit reticles were laser etched.

I might be wrong. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic