OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Weaver 4-20X50 Tactical MIL/MIL?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoalwater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weaver 4-20X50 Tactical MIL/MIL?
    Posted: January/23/2013 at 20:44
Anyone got any experience with this scope?  I am considering it, and SWFA 5-20X50, not a big fan of Vortex's glass quality.  How is the glass quality on this Weaver?  Is it on par with Vortex, Sightron, Leupold VX-3, or even the SWFA scope?  I appreciate the help.
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2013 at 06:53
Of the bunch you listed, SWFA is going to have the best glass quality, all around. I haven't looked through this particular Weaver, but have seen the 3-15x and it's an excellent scope, one of the best options sub 1K price tag. Personally i'd got with the illuminated version of SWFA's 5-20x, but that might depend on your budget as it's going to cost more than any of the other scopes listed.

Sightron has some solid scopes as well, but i'd personally put them a notch or 2 below the SWFA and even the Weaver 3-15x by a slight margin. Leupold is overrated IMO. You really aren't getting your money's worth with the other affordable and optically similiar (or better) optics.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"Issac Newton invented gravity because some asshole hit him with an apple"
-Chris Moltisanti
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2013 at 07:18
weaver also has the worst customer service in the industry who offers a lifetime warranty.
Shoalwater View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoalwater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2013 at 08:37
I was trying to stay under that magical $1k mark, I was planning on going with a SIII 6-24X50 Sightron, but they do not have the FFP.  The FFP is what is really limiting me in scopes. 

I like Vortex features on their scopes, but I owned their Razor binos, currently have their Viper HD Binos, and have been unimpressed with the Clarity and Sharpness of their glass.  This is what makes me hesitant to buy one of their scopes.  

Are their any other scopes with FFP reticles in this price range that I am missing?
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2013 at 08:54
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"Issac Newton invented gravity because some asshole hit him with an apple"
-Chris Moltisanti
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2013 at 12:08
Originally posted by Shoalwater Shoalwater wrote:

I like Vortex features on their scopes, but I owned their Razor binos, currently have their Viper HD Binos, and have been unimpressed with the Clarity and Sharpness of their glass.  This is what makes me hesitant to buy one of their scopes.  

You are the first person I have heard of that did not like their Vortex Razor / Viper HD binos. How did you adjustment for your eyes?
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoalwater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2013 at 19:00
The only way I know how, cover the right lense with scope cap and adjust focus with center focus, then switch and cover the left lense with scope cap and adjust the diopter.  Binos should be tailored to individuals eyes after that.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoalwater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2013 at 19:28
Of these three which do you think will have the best glass.  By that I mean crisp, clear, sharp, and bright image.  The other features are all pretty much the same, except for Weaver not having an illuminated reticle, which I don't really care about.  I would love to get the SWFA, but for once I have to make myself stay on budget.

RotoReuter_DM View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RotoReuter_DM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2013 at 13:17
The reticle on the Vortex is going to make holdovers and wind calls easier. IMO Your standard mil dot is just old...
Old Mil ftw
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2013 at 14:00
Originally posted by Shoalwater Shoalwater wrote:

Of these three which do you think will have the best glass.  By that I mean crisp, clear, sharp, and bright image. 

I haven't compared with the Bushnell, but between the PST and Weaver the Weaver wins glass-wise.  It's actually pretty close to the SS 5-20, excellent glass for the price.
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2013 at 20:48
Originally posted by RotoReuter_DM RotoReuter_DM wrote:

The reticle on the Vortex is going to make holdovers and wind calls easier. IMO Your standard mil dot is just old...

IT WORKS...

Wink               

Wink

Wink

Wink

Wink     Wink     Wink     Wink                 Wink     Wink     Wink     Wink  

Wink               

Wink

Wink

Wink

No one
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2013 at 22:47
Originally posted by 338LAPUASLAP 338LAPUASLAP wrote:

Originally posted by RotoReuter_DM RotoReuter_DM wrote:

IT WORKS...

Wink               

Wink

Wink

Wink

Wink     Wink     Wink     Wink                 Wink     Wink     Wink     Wink  

Wink               

Wink

Wink

Wink

I think you have way too much time on your hands.  Big Grin
Rainman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2013 at 23:32
I have been very pleased with my Weaver Tactical 3-15x 50mm illuminated EDMR mil/mil scope.  For similar power mid range priced scopes my comparison is to several Leupold Vari-X III 4.5-14x and two last generation Nikon Monarch 5.5-16.5x scopes used on varmint rifles.  Although neither represents the most current optical systems for either brand, the Weaver has better glass IMO for my eyes and application.  I have not tried the other scopes mentioned but I like the Weaver well enough I am considering the Weaver Tactical  2-10x 36 for a nearly completed build of a new AR in 6.5 Grendel.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoalwater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2013 at 18:38
Well, I ended up with the Vortex Viper PST 6-24X50 MRAD FFP.  Haven't got a chance to shoot it yet as the dang mount I ordered is back ordered.  Just playing with it in the house it seems pretty cool.  I am anxious to get it out on the range and really see what I think about the glass. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic