OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for Marlin 336

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeStaten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for Marlin 336
    Posted: January/22/2013 at 15:51
Looking for a decent scope as a gift for my brother to mount on his Marlin 336.  The rifle is used for deer hunting where shots typically range from 30-100 yards with the occasional 150 yard shot possible.  I'm looking for something the either the 2-7 or 3-9 power although I realize a lower power scope would do.  I guess I'd prefer the 3-9 if it wasn't heavier or that much more expensive than the 2-7.  I'd like to keep it in the $200 range or less so please do not suggest a Zeiss Conquest or similar.

The few scopes that come to mind are:
Burris Fullfield II 2-7x35
Redfield Revolution 2-7x33
Vortex Diamondback 2-7x35
Burris E1 2-7x35
Sightron S1
Nitrex TR One 3-9x42

Any suggestions? 

Thanks,
Mike
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2013 at 16:07
Originally posted by MikeStaten MikeStaten wrote:

Looking for a decent scope as a gift for my brother to mount on his Marlin 336.  The rifle is used for deer hunting where shots typically range from 30-100 yards with the occasional 150 yard shot possible.  I'm looking for something the either the 2-7 or 3-9 power although I realize a lower power scope would do.  I guess I'd prefer the 3-9 if it wasn't heavier or that much more expensive than the 2-7.  I'd like to keep it in the $200 range or less so please do not suggest a Zeiss Conquest or similar.

The few scopes that come to mind are:
Burris Fullfield II 2-7x35
Redfield Revolution 2-7x33
Vortex Diamondback 2-7x35
Burris E1 2-7x35
Sightron S1
Nitrex TR One 3-9x42

Any suggestions? 

Thanks,
Mike
I just set up my cousins 336 with the Diamondback you listed, perfect balance on it and Vortex's warranty is second to none.

I also have been running a E1 on a 300blkout AR with excellent results.  Its impressed me allot.  The glass between those two are very close. 
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
MikeStaten View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeStaten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2013 at 16:12
Is the glass on the E1 noticeably better than the Fullfield II glass?  Also, how is the reticle of the E1 in low light?

Thanks again
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2013 at 17:11
The way a Marlin 336 stock is set up getting a scope as low as possible is a good idea for most people.

With that in mind, I'd be inclined to go with something along the lines of 2-7x35 or thereabouts.

Vortex Diamondback is a very good option.

With Burris, I am not big on the E1 reticle, but I really liked the Fullfield II with the #4 reticle that they used to offer.  I have not seen it lately, so it may be discontinued.

Another good option is the recently redesigned Nikon Prostaff which comes in a 2-7x32 configuration.

Similarly, Weaver Classic V 2.5-7x32 is a nice little scope.

The choice between these similalry priced options largely comes down to which reticle you like more.  Vortex and Burris are likely to be a little better in low light owing to a slightly larger objective, but to be honest, a bold visible reticle probably makes the most difference in low light between these.

ILya
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2013 at 17:52
I use several different 336 rifles for hog hunting, and have tried several scopes on them in that price range, and my personal favorites are the burris ff II in 2-7x35 and the weaver classic k 4x38 mounted as low as possible. 
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2013 at 18:09
E1 is unique reticle, I like it for my coyote AR which is a blackout. I went with the 3-9 with illumination so low light ain't an issue with that. Even off though I've used it in lower light and no problems.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2013 at 19:29
Id be really inclined to pick up one of the sale item sightrons, they have pretty good eye relief.  I had an S1 on a musket that one of my boys had for a while and it was nothing fancy but always worked well.  The SII Big Sky is a significant upgrade in glass.
Sightron 3-9x40 SI Riflescope Plex Sightron 3-9x40 SI Riflescope
Stock # - SI39X40
  • Matte
  • 1"
  • Plex
  • CLOSEOUT PRICE
  • Was $137.95 Now $79.95
$79.95 
Sightron 3-9x40 SI Riflescope Hunting Holdover Reticle Sightron 3-9x40 SI Riflescope
Stock # - SI39X40HHR
  • Matte
  • Hunter Holdover Reticle
  • 1"
  • CLOSEOUT PRICE
  • Was $152.95 Now $99.95
$79.95 
Sightron 3-9x42 SII Big Sky Riflescope Dot Sightron 3-9x42 SII Big Sky Riflescope
Stock # - SIIB3942D
$299.95 
Add Sightron 3-9x42 SII Big Sky Riflescope to Cart 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2013 at 19:46
Redfield 2-7x33 Revolution Rifle Scope Redfield 2-7x33 Revolution Rifle Scope
Stock # - RED67080
  • Matte
  • 4-Plex
  • 1"
$179.95 
Also a possible with 4.2 in eye relief.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2013 at 07:01
Originally posted by tman1965 tman1965 wrote:

I use several different 336 rifles for hog hunting, and have tried several scopes on them in that price range, and my personal favorites are the burris ff II in 2-7x35 and the weaver classic k 4x38 mounted as low as possible. 

+1. I usually prefer fixed 4X scopes for such usages.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2013 at 07:26
Some good advice here.  Personally I'd go with the Diamback, the Weaver that koshkin mentioned, the Revolution or the FFII.  Or look for a used VX-II for just over $200.  That's what I put on my 336 in .35 Rem.  Got lucky and found one with the #4 reticle.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2013 at 08:05
im going to give my normal advice in this instance, its a 336 marlin, it was made to be shot with irons..... your defeating the whole purpose of a lever guns design by scoping it, i could see putting a red dot style 1x on it but anything else is sacrilege .
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeStaten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2013 at 09:10
I understand that the open sights may be more appealing when carrying the gun and it may look sleeker.  However, when sitting on stand for deer hunting I cannot see any point in which you'd be better off with open sights as opposed to a well mounted scope set at 2x, especially in low light situations.  Plus, my brother's eye sight is not what it used to be so the scope is definitely the way I'm leaning.

How is the glass on the Sightron S1 versus the Burris FF II or Vortex Diamondback?  I may pick one of those up for my .22.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2013 at 09:18

I understand that the open sights may be more appealing when carrying the gun and it may look sleeker.  However, when sitting on stand for deer hunting I cannot see any point in which you'd be better off with open sights as opposed to a well mounted scope set at 2x, especially in low light situations.  Plus, my brother's eye sight is not what it used to be so the scope is definitely the way I'm leaning.

How is the glass on the Sightron S1 versus the Burris FF II or Vortex Diamondback?  I may pick one of those up for my .22.

i stand hunt exclusively up here, in a lot of thick timber..... i use a 2x7 vortex viper and a variety of 3x9's. i rarely ever have any use for anything above 4x.. i can appreciate your need for a scope for medical reasons.... that being said, if you have poor quality glass on a scope in low light you wont gain anything, in fact you may be worse off.....
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeStaten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2013 at 15:27
My friend has the Vortex Viper 2-7x and the scope seems very nice.  Under normal field conditions, is the glass on the Vortex Diamondback 2-7x a tremendous step down from the Viper's glass or would it really be only noticeable if you compared them side by side?
MC Escher View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Escher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2013 at 17:44
Question for the group....

In the situation described; why wouldn't the best choice be a low power fixed?
The older I get, the better I feel about tearing up parking tickets and cheating on my taxes.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2013 at 19:48

Don't know about a low power fixed being best but one would definitely work.  Trouble is he's wanting to stay in the $200 range or less.  That cuts the options considerably.  In fact there's only one in that price range I would consider:

If he could bump his budget up some here's the one I'd get (I've got an older M8 w/hvy plex):

Any of the others worth having are $300 and up.  If I were in his situation I'd be taking the other guys advice and be looking at a low powered variable.  And this is from one who LUVS his fixed X scopes.

Edited by 300S&W - January/25/2013 at 19:58
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2013 at 19:54

Having not handled one I can't comment on the Diamondback.  I've handled FF II's and have a 3-9x40 SI.  Both are NICE scopes for the price.  That SI would be good addition for your .22 for sure.

Edited by 300S&W - January/25/2013 at 19:59
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2013 at 20:31

My friend has the Vortex Viper 2-7x and the scope seems very nice.  Under normal field conditions, is the glass on the Vortex Diamondback 2-7x a tremendous step down from the Viper's glass or would it really be only noticeable if you compared them side by side?

i have a 2x7 viper on my .375H&H and its a very nice scope for the money... is the quality a huge difference between the viper and diamondback, not huge, but noticeable.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2013 at 22:29
This is the scope I have on my 1895G. It's a good scope for a lever action.

http://swfa.com/Leupold-2-7x33-VX-R-30mm-Riflescope-P48034.aspx
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic