OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Dual purpose scope opinions needed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nonliberal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dual purpose scope opinions needed
    Posted: January/21/2013 at 09:05
I have a .260 improved that is to serve a dual role.  It is set up as a long range tactical shooter (600-1000 yards), but I would also like it to serve as a back up hunting rifle (mostly whitetail and coyotes in Missouri).  I have plenty of deer rifles, but this is such a joy to shoot I hate leaving it at home as much as I do.  Also the more I shoot it the better I get with it.

The issue I'm having is picking a scope that can serve both roles.  I need a low magnification for when I'm in the woods, but would like to have decent power when shooting at longer ranges.

I'm flexible on all, but a few things that would probably be best.
Mil dot reticle
good size objective for low light situations
probably want the low side to be a Max of 4x
Would like to set the Top price at $800 for this particular scope. (new or used is fine).

For hunting I use the Mildots for hold over instead of clicks so I don't need/want target turrets.
What do you recommend?
Thanks.
Kevin

Modify message

338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2013 at 10:37
No one
nonliberal View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nonliberal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2013 at 11:05
Those look right up my alley.  How does the Vortex and Bushnell 6500 compare to each other?
I don't know anything about Vortex, but I do have a few 4200s that I like.  Am I correct to assume the 6500 is the same glass as a 4200 just with a 30mm tube and a 6.5 zoom?
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2013 at 11:24
I'm thinking out of the box (and maybe reallity). Since your applications are so far apart; how about  a scope for each application with QD mounts for each scope?
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2013 at 11:38
You read my mind BeltFed!   Warne makes some nice QDs!
take em!
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nonliberal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2013 at 12:17
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

I'm thinking out of the box (and maybe reality). Since your applications are so far apart; how about  a scope for each application with QD mounts for each scope?

That thought has definitely crossed my mind since I already have scopes for each purpose (just not both at the same time).
I often wondered how repeatable they were though without going back to the range to double check zero before going on a hunt or needing to take a long range cold bore shot around the house (I live in a rural area with some long range opportunities).  I always just pictured myself swapping out the scopes, then waiting for hours or days in the woods for that one shot and miss by a foot because the scope didn't zero. 

I'm sure they will keep me on the paper, but would you guys trust them for a long range precision shot?
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2013 at 12:18
Quick question before I go to far MIL/MIL or MOA/MIL or MOA/MOA??? Do you want your adjustments to match your reticle and in which measurement?

About the other posters (they are opinions I do hold with high esteem):

2 Scopes Quality Glass, Mil-dot Reticle, LESS THAN $800 with QD's bases and or rings???

What options are those???

I am all ears.

No seriously I am interested to know what you suggest.

I am on a path of trying anything I did it with Sightron and have been pleasantly surprised.

I replaced a lot of 34mm tubes and rings with 30mm tubes and budget rings and haven't really lost a step.

No one
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nonliberal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2013 at 12:41
Actually all of the above would be fine MIL/MIL or MOA/MIL or MOA/MOA, as long as I know in advance so when I run my ballistics calculator and make charts I know what i'm dealing with. I use the dots more for hold than ranging.
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2013 at 13:17
For your use it's hard to beat the 3-15 Weaver Tactical:

http://swfa.com/Weaver-3-15x50-Tactical-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P49448.aspx .

Excellent glass for the price, FFP so your holds will work no matter what power you're on, big FOV on 3X, illuminated so you won't loose the reticle in the dark woods at 3X.  It has turrets but you don't need to use them--they lock so you don't need to worry about them moving accidentally.
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2013 at 19:59
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nonliberal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2013 at 20:08
Thanks guys I will look into them.

Out of the 6500, viper, and weaver tactical, which one would you say has the best glass?
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2013 at 20:22
Welcome to the OT!

Might want to take a look at the Trijicon Accupoint scopes,might give everything your looking for.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2013 at 06:34
Beltfed? Tip?
No one
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2013 at 11:00
Originally posted by 338LAPUASLAP 338LAPUASLAP wrote:

Beltfed? Tip?
WHAT? I said it was outside of the box, and possibly reallity. I'm swapping scopes between rifles now, thanks to QD mounts; and there only off zero a couple of Mils. Picatinney rails are great. Not knowing what rifle the OP has, I just shot off an Idea. Oh, and it came to me from your new .243 project.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
tarheelpwr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tarheelpwr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2013 at 07:27
http://swfa.com/Vortex-25-10x32-Viper-PST-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P60984.aspx

or 

http://swfa.com/Vortex-25-10x32-Viper-PST-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P60985.aspx

May also be an option for you.  That will give you FFP.  I emailed Vortex about the 32mm objective and here is the reply I got (I was concerned about low light and optic quality):

<<<<<

After a little more digging, I can tell you that the resolution/clarity will be better on the 2.5-10X32 and the light gathering capability will be as good or better, even. One of our R&D guys set me straight. You are definitely not losing anything, maybe even gaining in some areas by going to the 32mm.

>>>>>>

Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2013 at 10:56
Originally posted by 338LAPUASLAP 338LAPUASLAP wrote:

Beltfed? Tip?

To address your 2 scopes for $800 or less... prolly couldn't do that and get great glass in both.  Not sure there is a scope that would be a great fit for all 3 apps... Tactical, coyotes and Whitetails.  I could be wrong though.   my question would be, can you have  set up capable of shooting 1000 yds without a 20 MOA base/rail or something similar?  I'm thinking you would need a hunting scope in low rings and the long range one in High.  My understanding is that the QDs hold zero - or they wouldn't be used as much as they are... but note sure folks that shoot 1000 yds use them.  He stated he didn't want/need target turrets and I didn't think you could shoot 50 - 1000yds without dialing.

It just seems like 2 scopes would be needed.

take em!
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2013 at 21:47
I'd get the Weaver. It's the closest match.
Reaction time is a factor...
BobbyH View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobbyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2013 at 08:22

Minox 3-15x50 ZA5 Riflescope  $589.00

• Matte
  • XR-BDC Reticle
  • 1"
  • Side Focus
     Post Reply Post Reply
      Share Topic