OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Suggestion: $1,000, zero stop, target turrets, par
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Suggestion: $1,000, zero stop, target turrets, par

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suggestion: $1,000, zero stop, target turrets, par
    Posted: January/21/2013 at 03:53
Hi all,

I have spent quite some time trying to find the "right" scope and honestly, I probably searched to hard and ended up loosing focus so now I seek advice from this knowledgable crowd.

So, I have $1,000 (and change if needed) and I really want to make the best possible purchase based on the following:

* $1,000 (or less if possible)
* best possible glass
* target turrets
* 1/10 mil or 1/4 moa clicks
* zero stop
* fine/thin reticle with some kind of distance ranging but finer  singular mil-dots
* parallax adjustment from 15-50 to infinity
* somewhere around 20x magnification +/- 5x
* as compact/light as possible

I am considering Zeiss conquest HD5 5-25x50 with the rapid- 1000 reticle (which is not a perfect package based on the above points) but I <i>know</i> there are other alternatives out there which will be equally good or even better but which are they?

Thanks a lot in advance, Q
qpush View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2013 at 05:28
Out of curiosity... If I could spend $300 more (for a total of $1300) would I then see some significant improvements over a $1000 scope?

Wouldn't want to spend more then $1000 but shouldn't let $300 stand in the way for a superior experience.

Thanks, Q
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2013 at 08:09
SS 5-20 
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2013 at 08:13
SS 5-20 sure ain't light, and the reticle is a bit thick. but it's a bad ass scope, especially for the $$
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2013 at 08:17
Vortex pst but the glass is not up to Zeiss
No one
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2013 at 09:03
You need to prioritize your list. At that price, that scope does not exist. What is most important - and what can go to make sure everything else stays?

My advice, get the best glass you can afford, more mag never offsets sub-par glass.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
BobbyH View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobbyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2013 at 09:19
Leupold VX-3 6.5-20X50  $899.00   It doesnt have all you want but it is pretty close!

Leupold VX-3 / VX-3L Riflescopes

Leupold 6.5-20x50 VX-3 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - LEU66575
  • Matte
  • Fine Duplex
  • 30mm
  • Long Range
  • Target Knobs
  • Side Focus
  • Xtended Twilight Lens System
BobbyH View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobbyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2013 at 09:21
Also comes in a varmit reticle for 979.00
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2013 at 09:31
Rancid has the best suggestion so far. The rest of us are fumbling on this one.

My suggestion for the PST LINE was to delay your purchase till you could get something like the Razor HD which has all your needs.

The PST line does not have the glass like the ZEISS It is however better than the Leupy glass.
No one
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2013 at 11:32
Skip the ZeroStop and go for the Sightron S3 6-24x50.  There are both MOA and Mrad versions, so pick the one you like.

A slight step down in optical quality, but still a very nice scope is Vortex PST 6-24x50.

If you do not get one of these two, increase your budget and go up to something like Vortex Razor which has every feature you want.

ILya
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2013 at 12:42
The PST will do for your list.

Glass is good enough.  The rotation stop isn't a true zero stop, but works OK, in my experience.

It really is a nice scope overall.

The HD5 will in all likelihood be a nice scope, and has zero stop, target turrets, etc., but the reticle selection is poor for that type of scope, IMO.  I hope they offer a hash type reticle soon.
-Matt
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2013 at 14:41
Vortex PST 4-16 would be alright. I'd go for the smaller, lighter 18.7 oz. PST 2.5-10X32, which is new and from what I'm hearing in a league of its own compared to the rest of the PST line. It's got everything you're asking except for the high-end magnification. Better to have a scope that's comfortably capable of 500 yard shooting than one that is barely tolerable out to 1000.
Reaction time is a factor...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic