OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Comparing Nightforce NXS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fastline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Comparing Nightforce NXS
    Posted: January/20/2013 at 15:44
I have a previous thread searching for used scope ideas for my Savage FCP .308 to shoot at 1000M+.  Recommendations were the Bushnell Elite, SWFA mostly.  I know Nightforce is heavily regarded and I was looking at a couple used NXS models.  I would really be fine with he benchrest model but I do NOT like front glass AO, I want side focus. 

I do need a 30mm tube and much over 50mm glass might be a problem.  I believe there is a 5.5-22x50 NXS that might be to my liking but curious how these scopes compare in glass quality to the others listed above? 
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2013 at 17:24
These reviews might be a good read for you.

http://opticsthoughts.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=81:high-end-tactical-scopes-part-ii&catid=4:rifle-scope-reviews&Itemid=4

http://opticsthoughts.com/index.php/rifle-scopes/4-rifle-scope-reviews/98-high-end-tactical-scopes-part-3

I have a number of NF scopes and I am very happy with them. Although I am looking at a Kahles for my next scope. Between the NF and the SS I would give a slight edge to the SS over the NF regarding glass. So if you are looking for a FFP scope I would go with the SS if SFP I would go with the NF.
fastline View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fastline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2013 at 20:17
GD, I guess I assumed all high end glass was FFP.  What is the advantage of SFP? 

I just sold a Kahles vintage 27 S2 2.5-7x30.  I really was not sure of the value or worth of it but it sure got a lot of attention and I knew when I looked through it, it was real glass. 
fastline View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fastline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2013 at 21:09
I have hear high praise on the SWFA's here but I have not heard them put above Nightforce.  However, I have never been one to get caught up on a name tag.  Let the performance speak for itself so if SWFA glass can be considered better, I should keep them on the list I recon but I would like to confirm that.  
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2013 at 22:28
I was talking about the 5-20 SS not the $299.99 fixed scopes. And I say slight it is not a night and day difference. I think most would be hard pressed to see any difference at all.

This post might be worth reading about NF vs SS HD scopes.

http://www.opticstalk.com/topic32162_post460992.html#460992

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2013 at 04:30
http://www.opticstalk.com/swfa-ss-39x42-review-by-mike-miller_topic23715.html
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic