OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SS 10X or 16X and Mounts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82abnnotasniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SS 10X or 16X and Mounts
    Posted: April/15/2006 at 20:57
For an M15A4(T)(flat top)what mounts should I use for the SS 10x? I want to take the SS off my .308 and try it on the (T). ARMS 40, Larue SPR-E, Troy? What's the best set-up? I have an extra Armalite 1-piece 30mm mount also as an option.

Should I stay with the 10x for 300-500M shooting paper?
Was thinking the 16X might be better, but I've never used 16x fixed.

Thanks.
If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
George S. Patton
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2006 at 04:37

Have you ever checked out AR15.com??

http://ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=3&f=18

I always go with an Aimpoint on my AR's and can't really say what would work for our set up, 82nd.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
82abnnotasniper View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82abnnotasniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2006 at 07:14
cheaptrick,
Yes, I try to stay up to date on the ar15 forum, thanks.
What would you recommend for the SS 10x 16x, for paper at 300-500m? I think you wrote that you used a 20x and were buying a 10x? Is the 16x a good in between option?

Thanks.
George S. Patton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2006 at 08:17

Originally posted by 82abnnotasniper 82abnnotasniper wrote:

cheaptrick,
Yes, I try to stay up to date on the ar15 forum, thanks.
What would you recommend for the SS 10x 16x, for paper at 300-500m? I think you wrote that you used a 20x and were buying a 10x? Is the 16x a good in between option?

Thanks.

No Sir.

I have only used and owned a 10x SS.

And that's what I would recommend for you as well.

The 16x, at least IMO, would be a little overkill and you loose your FOV that you have on the 10x when you go to a 16x.

Folks use the 10x SS out to AND BEYOND 1000 yards successfully.

The more I shoot the Super Sniper the better I like it!

The circle is now complete.

I started with fixed powers, went through the variable thing and now I'm back using a fixed 10x. Who knew??  

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2006 at 09:29
I have a SS 20x and a SS10x M.    Put the 10x on with the Armalite one piece mount if you already own it - just remember that the screws they send are a little on the brittle side so be gentle with them or you will break them like I did which required sending it back. If you didnt already own that mount I'd say buy the Badger Ordnance rings. If you plan to switch scopes on that rifle then a quick detach system is what you want. The Armalite system is best put on once  and left there.  I dont really thing that a true sniper scope is the way I would go with and M4 type weapon. EOTech or Trijicon AACOG or aimpoint possibly the Trijicon Tri-Power which I have been thinking about for a while.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82abnnotasniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2006 at 09:40
<< The circle is now complete. I started with fixed powers, went through the variable thing and now I'm back using a fixed 10x. Who knew?? >>

I don't know your background but from what I've been reading here, it's light years ahead of mine. So, your statement says volumes.

In a previous post I think you asked to report back with the results of my SS 10x use. I'm going to do that within the next two weeks. Here's the plan:
I'll mount the 10x SS on the M15A4T using the 1-piece Armalite 30mm mount and load GI M855 ammo. Since it will just be my Dad and I, I will take pictures using the following -
- shoot a 3 rd group, cover the holes, circle the group as #1, and continue until the scope is zeroed. This will be done at 300M and will be a single picture of the target with all groups.
- shoot a group at 300M, first attempt after zero, CBS. One picture.
- shoot a group at 400M, as this is all the 'room' I have. CBS. One picture.

It takes me 20 minutes or so to move the target, walk the range and make sure the target back is clear, set-up again, and wait for the cows to clear the area
George S. Patton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2006 at 09:46

Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

I dont really thing that a true sniper scope is the way I would go with and M4 type weapon. EOTech or Trijicon AACOG or aimpoint possibly the Trijicon Tri-Power which I have been thinking about for a while.

That's me too.

The whole M4 or 16" AR thing is designed to be a light weight, rapid deployment, CQB weapon and I would go with an Aimpoint or Eothingy if it were me.

Unless of course, you are wanting the SS and the M4 to be more of a DM (Designated Marksman) style weapon system.

If thats so, I would still go with a M1A or 20" AR platform. 

In theory, the longer barrels of the above mentioned rifles should be a touch more accurate at longer distances than a 14.5" or 16" M4.

Again, that's just me. I have a lot of spiders in my head.   

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2006 at 09:52

http://www.bodermansports.com/Firearms/ArmaLite/M15A4T/m15a4 t.html

Is this the rifle in question?

I didn't realize that it was a Varmint style AR.

Disregard the above if that's true.

I was just following Ufriends post. I haven't seen that rifle before and I ASSUMED it was an M4 design. 

Very cool stick!!!!!!!

Edited by cheaptrick
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82abnnotasniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2006 at 10:04
Urimaginaryfrnd,

<<< I would go with and M4 type weapon. EOTech or Trijicon AACOG or aimpoint possibly the Trijicon Tri-Power which I have been thinking about for a while. >>>

I have the M15A4(T),A4 Carbine and A2 'Service Rifle' from Armalite.
I use the Carbine with EOTech 552 and GG&G BUIS', Front flip-up for gas blocks and MAD Rear for Dove Tail. I also use the GG&G D&D flashlight mount. I like the EOT better than the Aimpoint as I can see the 65moa EOT in all light conditions. I could'nt say the same for the Aimpoint ML3 so I sold it.

I use the M15A2 as a service rifle with iron sights only. I learned that way so I leave it without a scope. It's great training to go back to the iron at 100, 200, 300m. My mistakes really show up, but within 6-9 rounds it comes together (we hope )

The M15A4T is awesome, great practice with affordable ammo and parts.
We put 240 rounds through the A2, 120 through the Carbine and 240 through the (T) yesterday alone, on paper. Damn was it hot out there (East of Ft. Myers).

George S. Patton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2006 at 10:10

Originally posted by 82abnnotasniper 82abnnotasniper wrote:

Urimaginaryfrnd, 

I like the EOT better than the Aimpoint as I can see the 65moa EOT in all light conditions. I could'nt say the same for the Aimpoint ML3 so I sold it.

BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!!!!

Aimpoint's rule!!!!!!!!!!!!

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82abnnotasniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2006 at 10:10
The SS 10x will go on this:
http://www.armalite.com/sales/catalog/rifles/m15a4t.htm

I have these two also;
http://www.armalite.com/sales/catalog/rifles/m15a2.htm
http://www.armalite.com/sales/catalog/rifles/m15a4_carbine.h tm

Thanks.
Jim
George S. Patton
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82abnnotasniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2006 at 10:16
<< BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!!!!

<< Aimpoint's rule!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hear ya
I found that the flashlight was dimming the red-dot. My Dad and several shooting buddies said the same thing. I told them they were nuts. Then I started seeing the same thing. The EOT was so much easier to see with flashlight 'on' or against paper. So after trying a friends A4 Carbine with the EOT, I bought one.

It's probably all mental anyway

George S. Patton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2006 at 18:49

I went to a gun school in Memphis, Tn. a few years ago.

Buddy from Brooklyn goes with.

We take our AR's. Mine has a Aimpoint M2, he has a Eotech "E" model I guess.

We take lunch the second day and secure our weapons in my pickup.

It was hotter than hell out that day! Windows were rolled up in my truck too.

We come back out and start getting our gear in check and he says his Eotech won't come on. He changes batteries....Nothing.

He goes to his BUIS for the remainder of the class, while my M2 is still going strong.

Anywho, after the class my buddy contacts Eotech and informs them that he is a security contractor gearing up to deploy to a gig in Iraq real soon.

They not only send him a new Eothingy, but upgrade it to the "F" version for nothing! 

That impressed the hell out of me. He's also been to several classes with his new Eotech, and has no problems to report.  

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82abnnotasniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2006 at 09:12
We never covered the 10x-16x SS decision.
I understood the FOV and 'movers' issues with the 20x, but I'm going to concentrate on F-Class style shooting.

I know, I need to use .308 but for now I'll use the 5.56m out to 600 yards. I need a few more months to put the gear and rig together, and buy that FFP VarX I want. Uncle Sam is getting my money this month, not SWFA

I'm still thinking I should buy a 16x.
I would appreciate your opinions.

George S. Patton
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2006 at 17:32
If you really think you should buy the 16x then buy it. The 16x should work for you. I have a 10x and a 20x and I dont really want to part with either one. Just understand that in the lower light of evening and early morning the view will be a little grey as your exit pupil size wont be as large, but it's still useable. The best way to describe it is like walking into the house with sunglasses on.  Side by side the 10x will be noticably brighter in low light. Either one that you choose -  you will like - so go with your instinct.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic