OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

barska scopes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike1113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: barska scopes
    Posted: April/15/2006 at 20:18
I am new to the forum, and i am looking to buya barska swat 6-24x44. I have read the posts on how some people dont like them, but i havent seen any reasons why they dont like them. so whats good about them and whats bad.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2006 at 04:43

Welcome to The OT!!

Barska has poor quality control issues generally speaking.

You may buy one and it will be OK.

Your buddy buys the one next to the one you bought and his sucks.

Around here, most of us locals try to sway people away from Barska.

The main complaint seems to be they don't hold zero very well.

Check out the search function and check out what people are saying about the scope.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2006 at 09:17

mike 1113 - give us an idea what the most you can afford to spend is - (then we will tell you that you should really try to save up $299 and buy a

Super Sniper 10x.)

The moral of the story is - you can buy any scope but if you want it to work  -- it costs extra.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
enfieldp View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enfieldp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2006 at 18:44
do you guys work on commision or what , it seems its always super sniper ,   that everyone should buy one  send me one ill let ya know if iit was worth the shipping
patBisdee
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2006 at 19:04

Originally posted by enfieldp enfieldp wrote:

do you guys work on commision or what , it seems its always super sniper ,   that everyone should buy one  send me one ill let ya know if iit was worth the shipping

How about we just send you a check so you can buy some grammar classes??

If your going to play the smart ass, how about typing something legible for once?

Your crappy attitude is really starting to wear on me.   

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
huntindawg View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huntindawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2006 at 20:18
I was reading this and I couldn't help but laugh. People think that a high price tag means that their getting a good product, IT DOESN'T MEAN A THING a big name and a high price are you get. Then they look at the lower priced scopes BARSKA isnt a high priced scope but it aint a super sniper. it may be around the same price rang but the quality isnt even close.  I bought a SS10x42 its the best $300 bucks I ever spent 
play golf with a potato cannon! its more fun!!!!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2006 at 11:22

Some scopes are overpriced (IMO, Leupolds).   Some scope are exceptionally good for the money (Super Sniper Mueller Tac II, for example).  If you average it all out though, you get what you pay for.  A thousand dollar scope will usually be better than a five  hundred dollar scope, although not necessarily twice better.  There is certainly an effect of diminishing returns as the scopes get more and more expensive.  For the last few years the sweet spot where you get the most for your money has been in the $300 to $600 range.  However, it has been slowly moving down as manufacturing techniques improve and coatings become cheaper.  Now there are a few scopes in the $200 range which are quite good.

Buying from Barska and most other chinese manufacturers (Leapers, NcStar, Ultralux, et al) are still an absoute crapshoot (and often more crap than shoot). 

Some American/Japanese/European manfacturers, however, manage to assemble good products in China, but that usually means more than just demanding quality.  They have to provide direct, on the floor, oversight for their Chinese subcontractors or have someone who specializes in this provide oversight.  Mueller is making well built scopes in China; however, their top of the line product, the Tac II, is made in Japan.  There is still a difference.  A lot of Minox products are made in China and they are very well made.  Now Pentax is going to be making a line of their scopes in China.  We'll just have to see how it pans out.

ILya

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic