OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

switching barrels on Savage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: switching barrels on Savage
    Posted: January/15/2013 at 07:48
Thinking about switching out a 22-250 barrel for .204.   Might have the guys at Savage shooters then install a clip mag too.  Is there any technical skills needed to do that or is it simple?  I know the two tools needed to do this are available and not expensive.  Just wonder about the expertise needed.

Also, is there a place to look for factory barrels or will I need to get a Douglas etc.?

As far as bolt goes, do you just have to buy a .204 bolt or change something on the existing bolt?

Thanks

take em!
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2013 at 07:54
I believe you could do your task simply.

The factory barrels are available many places Brownells sells them as do many Dealers.

Google

Savage (insert your model) replacement barrel

ER Shaw

EA Brown Co.

Brownells

Savage-Barrels

With the above Google search you can find tutorials on how to replace the barrel properly and how to accurize it...

As far as calibers they have charts for which bolt and which cartridge.

No one
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2013 at 08:01
sweet....... thanks!
take em!
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2013 at 08:05
I did a 35 whelen from a factory 30-06. It was very simple, barrel nut wrench, barrel vise and go and no-go gauges. It's really pretty easy if you follow the directions. 
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Bigdave View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2013 at 08:38
Hey Tip, my friend just changed out his barrel, call northland shooter supply. He carries very good products and can answer any questions you have. His name is Fred, and I believe you can find his number on the savage shooters forum.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2013 at 08:54
your .22-250 bolt will be too big for the .204 head. .473 vs .378. if that helps you any.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2013 at 09:02
I figured as much pyro... but wasn't sure if that meant a new bolt or changing something on the one I have.

Thanks BD... I will do that!
take em!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2013 at 09:08
im not sure on the savages, but im fairly certain that a decent gunsmith can put the smaller head on your bolt??? i think they do it with remingtons every now and then..
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Bigdave View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2013 at 17:59
He should be able to change out the bolt head. You have to remove the firing pin and then I believe the bolt head is held in with a pin. Those things are extremely versatile, they even make an adaptor to use a short action bolt on a long action.
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2013 at 20:20
The bolt-head is also simple to change. You just have to disassemble the bolt, you can google schematics. Changing the barrel is really easy... Takes about 30 minutes, seriously.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2013 at 10:43
found a Model 11 Trophy which comes with a clip... so might just go the trade route.  Its at a good price $499.99.  we'll see what they offer for the 22-250, I'm thinking it will cost less in long run.
take em!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic