OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

308 AR scope decision

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2013 at 13:38
i'd love to have a hensoldt, but can't, i'm already over budget on the rifle.

i'd just like to keep everything 30mm, i don't need the added cost or adjustment for 34mm on a 308 gas gun. i live in DE now, so no suppressors.

just to throw something else in the mix, what about the new bushnells. they look good on paper, but i know their warranty/CS used to suck.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2013 at 15:07
I hear great things about the 3.5-21X, but don't own one.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2013 at 15:10
this is much harder than buying a vehicle
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2013 at 19:30
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

And lube the hell out of the AR10 bolt, LOTS! When you think it is well lubed, add just a little more.

+100
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2013 at 19:55
we didn't over lube the 25 too much, is it the bolt design or something
33shooter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 33shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2013 at 12:55
I've been in this same boat, and still am after looking through and even trying several options.  You said you'll be hunting.  If so, will you only sit in a stand?  Or do you have the chance to hump this rifle around some?  I found that my 18" OBR shot good with the SS 5-20x on it, but that it was too heavy with the scope, mag, and can hanging off the end.  So I have been on the look out for a lighter weight nice scope to fill the role and have come down to one I need to try.  The Leupold MK6 3-18.  It should meet all of your requirements and I believe the price is at or under 2k.  I know the MSRP is $2500ish but street price should be less.  It's a nice compact package that will get you where you want to be.  Otherwise, I think the SN-3 posted above is plenty of scope for the job.  Might also consider the Premier LT 3-15x50 as well. 
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2013 at 16:07
If you want a nice SFP scope at around $2K, one of the Nightforce NXS models is likely a good option.

If you are OK with 6x on the low end, Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 is a very respectable choice and optically is the best of the PST line.

One of the problems you have is that you also need a fair amount of adjustment to reach to 1k, so there are not all that many scope out there that fit the ball.

Ultimately, if you were comfortable with the Mil-Dot, Sightron S3 6-24x50 is the one to beat in terms of what you get for the money, but the PST is not far behind it.

Lastly, if you can get the LE/Military discount, one of the Leupold Mark 4 LR/T scopes might be worth a look.

ILya

mds View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2013 at 23:02
I went with a Burris 1.5-6x MTAC on a PEPR QD mount. I rate both very high. Set up on my new Bushmaster XM-10 and bore sighted with a magnetic unit, I got to my zero at 100 in 4 rounds (bench, elbow down, no sled). 6X made 300 yards easy to master for hunting accuracy--I'm not a bench shooter I like to shoot from several positions.
I have/had really good experience with my Burris 1-4X Mtac on one of my .223 rifles so that's how I got here. It has seen thousands opf rounds and I realy on it. I like theMTAC reticle and the dots are easy to count for windage. Day light is fine without illumination but it wil crank daylight illumination with no problem. Twilight setting are good--I don't have night vision so I don't consider that. Battery life is great. The optics are better than my eyes. 

With the MTAC 1.5-6X I was very pleased and have about 200 rounds thru this set up. When ammo gets back to normal then I'll shot a bunch more. One thing about .308--they are linked to the ATM machine. :)
7 Foot Jumper View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7 Foot Jumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2013 at 03:11
I feel like the OP has had the question answered pretty well, but I'm going to add my .02/FWIW anyway.

I love Nightforce, whenever possible I grab one that fits the bill.  The only exception is a 3-gun scope, I feel like there are better low-power optics out there.

For my .308 AR, with an 18 barrel, mixed-use out to 600 yards or so, I went with the viper PST 2.5-10 in a cantilever mount.  I haven't necessarily beat the hell out of it, but it's seen pretty rough use (truck time, etc).  I trust it to hold zero, and I like the clarity of the glass, although at 10x I do see some distortion at the edges.  I like the reticle, and the illumination.  If you have 2k, spend it, but if you're on a bit more of a budget, the PST line should do the trick!

On the IOR Valdada note, I had one, and have played with several.  I like the glass and reticles, but man do they seem to run heavy!  Not a big deal for a bench gun, but for carrying in the field can get old.
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2013 at 22:22
i got my hands on an IOR, and it's a nice scope, but i don't see the justification for the extra $$ over the SS.

the NXS are real nice scopes and rugged as hell, but the glass isn't worth the price tag.

i have 2 MK4's, but my latest dealing with leupold has me doubting their CS, and their newest products, i'm sure the MK6 is probably bad ass, but so is the price tag. on a recent hog hunting trip, i got to compare my pst 4-16 and my MK4 4.5-14, and i know they are not the same specs. but the MK4 had more detail when it was light out, but when it was just the moon, the pst was awesome, and the illum reticle made it better. better probably due to the 50mm objective vs 40mm. guy using the MK4 was still able to down a pig at 135yds with nothing but the moon with the mk4.

i honestly can't help but to fall back on the vortex, the glass is good, tracks well, and has the best CS in the business. i wanted to go high dollar, but in the end, my overall use doesn't justify it.

i really want the night atacr, but that ain't gonna happen.

i think i'll save the extra $$ and invest in a nightvision scope, so thats the new topic. best NV scope for under $1k and good for 150yd shots. and can stand 308 recoil.

thanks all
33shooter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 33shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2013 at 07:10
The only NV close is the Pulsar Digisight. You'll want a strong IR source with that as its digital NV and not traditional NV.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2013 at 11:22
I had the Pulsar and it was a good scope, benefited significantly from an external IR illuminator when used as a traditional scope and in no light.  Best option I found was turn off the reticle and use an IR laser (now civilian legal.)

Also, the Pulsar can be used in full daylight, making zeroing much more convenient.

My complaints are : 
1.  gray scale image causes issues with night vision coming off the scope.
2.  It is only 4X, leaving me wanting a bit more magnification.
3.  Reticle building was only available for WinXP computers, maybe this has been addressed, I hope.

Beyond the Pulsar, you need to bump up to about $3500 to get a decent conventional NV scope or monocle for a red dot.

Pulsar is in the ballpark of $1000, but get a good illuminator or IR laser to go with.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic