OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New member looking for glass

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydra7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New member looking for glass
    Posted: January/11/2013 at 18:13
I am new to this group and just purchased my first hunting rifle, I bought a Ruger M77 Hawkeye All Weather in .270 Win. I am now in the process of looking for a good scope for it and haven't really narrowed it down to a particular brand or scope. I do like Leupolds due to them being manufactured in the U.S. and the lifetime warranty but am not dead set on them either. I am still deciding on what objective I want, something in the 32-42mm range, nothing bigger or smaller. My budget is still not set, but I would like to spend no more than $400, $500 is probably the absolute ceiling. I know I want a variable scope as well with a bullet drop compensator if possible. I hunt in northern Michigan and want to be able to hit shots in the 500-600 yard range (I know most of the shots I will take will be in the 50-200 yard range)which I think 2-7x or 2.5-8x is just fine for that but I am open to getting one that is 2-12x. I think variables that start at 3x are fine but not sure I need a 3x for my lowest magnification and that it might be a little overkill for close up shots. Just looking for opinions and suggestions/guidance on where to start looking. I have no huge rush and can wait several months for the right scope/deal. I do have expensive tastes but a modest budget, some of the ones I have started to consider are the Nikon Monarch, Bushnell 4200, Leupold VX-2 or VX-3, Zeiss Conquest HD5 (kinda dreaming with that one listings I have seen are $800), like I said I am very open minded, just want quality.
Give me a shot, I won't disappoint!
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2013 at 18:33
Welcome Welcome...

You will find a great many to help you on your endeavors.

I only own 2 2-7's and one 2-10 they were on closeout made by Vortex I cannot complain but I also cannot compare them with any others...

No one
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2013 at 23:52
Check out the samplelist. Here is a good buy that meets your specifications by Zeiss
SPL16813Zeiss 3.5-10x44 Conquest Rifle Scope DEMO-B
Click to view5214209972, Matte, Rapid Z 800, 1"
$529.95

Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2013 at 12:47
Welcome hydra 7...this is where the nice people hang out. Do monitor the Samplelist. It's there you often find exactly what you need at a reduced price. I'm kind of partial to the Zeiss Conquest line, so I concur with 3 Tens' recommendation above. Both Sightron and Vortex also have good choices, in your price range, that easily compete with Leupy. Another possibility would be the Minox ZA5 3-15 x 42 with the BDC reticle. It comes in around $500 and generally has good reviews. Congrats on your new rifle...it sounds like a winner to me. I've always liked Ruger's.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2013 at 13:13
Welcome to the OT!

The sample list is a very good place to find some great bargains.I myself have purchased 7-8 scopes off the list & have never been disapointed.The customer service is about as good as it gets.Zeiss is probably the best bang for the buck as far as glass goes & it does come with a life time warrenty.

Good luck & keep comming back.....Ernie
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
hydra7 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydra7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2013 at 17:16
Thank you for the replies so far and the congratulations on my new gun BugsNbows. I hope to come to really like Ruger rifles as well. Is the samplelist just scopes that were used or are they just display models that are being sold for a discount? I sense that not many people here are fans of Leupold scopes, is that the case or is it that most believe that there are better options for the money? While that Conquest scope looks nice I am not sure I want a 3.5x magnification for my lowest setting, I am also unsure of an objective size of more than 42mm as I want to use the ruger rings that came with my gun and am not sure that they would accomodate the heigth of the bigger objectives.
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2013 at 22:11
Originally posted by hydra7<br> Is the samplelist just scopes that were used or are they just display models that are being sold for a discount? I sense that not many people here are fans of Leupold scopes, is that the case or is it that most believe that there are better options for the money? While that Conquest scope looks nice I am not sure I want a 3.5x magnification for my lowest setting, I am also unsure of an objective size of more than 42mm as I want to use the ruger rings that came with my gun and am not sure that they would accomodate the heigth of the bigger objectives.<br>[/QUOTE hydra7
 Is the samplelist just scopes that were used or are they just display models that are being sold for a discount? I sense that not many people here are fans of Leupold scopes, is that the case or is it that most believe that there are better options for the money? While that Conquest scope looks nice I am not sure I want a 3.5x magnification for my lowest setting, I am also unsure of an objective size of more than 42mm as I want to use the ruger rings that came with my gun and am not sure that they would accomodate the heigth of the bigger objectives.
[/QUOTE wrote:

Leupold makes a good scope, but most feel you can do as good if not better for less money.

The sample list has scopes that are both used and display models. I would suggest you look at this link to the sample list.

http://www.opticstalk.com/samplelistcom_forum19.html

Minox is another brand that I would look into.

Leupold makes a good scope, but most feel you can do as good if not better for less money.

The sample list has scopes that are both used and display models. I would suggest you look at this link to the sample list.

http://www.opticstalk.com/samplelistcom_forum19.html

Minox is another brand that I would look into.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2013 at 07:27
Originally posted by hydra7 hydra7 wrote:

Thank you for the replies so far and the congratulations on my new gun BugsNbows. I hope to come to really like Ruger rifles as well. Is the samplelist just scopes that were used or are they just display models that are being sold for a discount? I sense that not many people here are fans of Leupold scopes, is that the case or is it that most believe that there are better options for the money? While that Conquest scope looks nice I am not sure I want a 3.5x magnification for my lowest setting, I am also unsure of an objective size of more than 42mm as I want to use the ruger rings that came with my gun and am not sure that they would accomodate the heigth of the bigger objectives.

Your concerns are valid and noted. Personally, I'm not a fan of big objective "bells". I have nothing larger than 42 mm for general hunting. I don't think that having 3.5 on the bottom is a major hindrance...assuming the optical quality is there. For specialized hunting (like piggies at night for example) large bells such as 56mm are often beneficial. BTW, it's not like we dislike Leupy's here...we just are not fixated on them. There are MANY very good options available out there. The Sample List items are viable choices, and one can save some cash utilizing them. There is no worry at all with Sample List items. Good luck!
               Anomymous
penguin6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penguin6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2013 at 10:15

This a Leupold 2-7x33 VXR on a 375 Ruger. It's held up well to the rifle's significant recoil, has good eye relief and a good eyebox. It's also offered in non-illum in the VX-2 line for less money, and there's a similar VX-3 offering in your price range. The VX-2 and 3 are 1" tubes, which should work with the supplied Ruger rings.

The weather in Texas tends to fog lenses externally, and I've been spoiled by the Rainguard on the Bushnell Elites (it also minimizes fogging when I breathe on the eyepiece in cold weather). If Michigan is wet/cold, you might look at their offerings. I recommend caution if looking at their DOA 600 reticle. The first line in particular is very close to the crosshairs, and things tended to look jumbled/cluttered, and I found it difficult to use quickly or in low light.

I've not used the Leupold past 100 yds, but I'm told the glass is not as good as the other scopes that were recommended to you . This may be a consideration for longer distances and/or low light.

If you go with a 30mm tube, I've read Ruger will swap rings for no charge, but I've no personal experience as I went with Warne QD rings.

Good luck in your search.
hydra7 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydra7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2013 at 14:00
I have been doing some thinking and researching and I might just expand my price range to try and fit one of those dreamy Zeiss Conquest HD5 in the 2-10x42mm variety with a Zplex-600 reticle. I know that they are listed for $800 some places but what is the timetable or odds that one will become available before next hunting season Nov.15th on the samplelist? and would this glass be the best quality for that price range? Of course I would love to look through this and compare, but most stores keep scopes locked up. I do not like asking to see something, I like when products are on display to touch and try out without asking permission.
hydra7 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydra7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2013 at 14:36
Sorry meant to list the Rapid-Z 600 reticle on the above post.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2013 at 15:20

I have been doing some thinking and researching and I might just expand my price range to try and fit one of those dreamy Zeiss Conquest HD5 in the 2-10x42mm variety with a Zplex-600 reticle. I know that they are listed for $800 some places but what is the timetable or odds that one will become available before next hunting season Nov.15th on the samplelist? and would this glass be the best quality for that price range? Of course I would love to look through this and compare, but most stores keep scopes locked up. I do not like asking to see something, I like when products are on display to touch and try out without asking permission.

Possible but not probable.
               Anomymous
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2013 at 15:28
why wait that long and deprive yourself of all those months you could be enjoying it!  Waiting won't make it any better when you do finally get one!

Just get it and then you can be the first to give a review!
take em!
hydra7 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydra7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2013 at 15:54
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

why wait that long and deprive yourself of all those months you could be enjoying it!  Waiting won't make it any better when you do finally get one!

Just get it and then you can be the first to give a review!
While I would love to just splurge and give a decent review, (not sure I would be the most qualified though Wink) I have an allowance of $200 a month so this would be 4 months of saving for this. While I am sure it is worth it, I was just curious if there are better scopes for that $ or would I be better served going with a more modest priced scope, like the current conquest line or others? But you do have a point in the months of enjoyment I could get out of it.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2013 at 16:24
ah.. I hear ya.  if the old 3-9X40 Conguest was still available for $399. I would say get that.  I have two, 1 even on a .270.   So, you could save for a bit and if one comes up on samplelist you could snatch it up.. or keep saving and get the new improved version.  Either way, you won't be dissappointed.
take em!
hydra7 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydra7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2013 at 16:16
I think I have narrowed it down finally to two scopes and one is the dreaded Leupold. I am an active duty military member so I have heard they are giving out a 40% discount on their tactical scopes. The two scopes are as follows.

The Leupold I would get the Firedot-G TMR reticle for $550 minus the discount on their site, I know swfa has it for $440 but wasnt' sure if it would come with the BDC dial or not and if it wouldn't be cheaper if I could apply the 40% discount from Leupold directly.

The Zeiss would be the 2-10x42 model with the Rapid Z-600 reticle. I am not sure that the extra money would justify this scope over the Leupold, considering it would be 2-3x the amount of money. 

***Edited to remove competitors link***

Edited by Chris Farris II - February/19/2013 at 12:55
priler View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote priler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2013 at 19:08
  also take a look at the weaver super slam 2-10x42 with EBX reticle. weaver has a hold chart for your caliber on their website/homepage i'm sure.
hydra7 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydra7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2013 at 18:04
I finally got my qualifications for the military discount program for Leupy tactical scopes and the price list and I can pick up the Mark AR 1 3-9x40mm scope with the firedot reticle for $312. Only drawback that I see about it is that it is a SFP scope, (I am not sure whether or not it really is a drawback) I was wondering what people's thoughts on the FFP vs SFP is? This will be my first scope and just wanted it to hopefully last paired with my rifle for a LONG time.
Jawrshe View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jawrshe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2013 at 12:27
From my understanding the Mark AR series of scopes are the budget line up of scopes.
I like the Weavers, they have really clear glass and they are affordable.

***Edited to remove competitors link***

Edited by Chris Farris II - February/19/2013 at 12:56
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2013 at 12:54

I think I have narrowed it down finally to two scopes and one is the dreaded Leupold. I am an active duty military member so I have heard they are giving out a 40% discount on their tactical scopes. The two scopes are as follows.

***Edited to remove Competitors link***

The Leupold I would get the Firedot-G TMR reticle for $550 minus the discount on their site, I know swfa has it for $440 but wasnt' sure if it would come with the BDC dial or not and if it wouldn't be cheaper if I could apply the 40% discount from Leupold directly.

The Zeiss would be the 2-10x42 model with the Rapid Z-600 reticle. I am not sure that the extra money would justify this scope over the Leupold, considering it would be 2-3x the amount of money. 
3. Do not advertise other retailers selling the same or similar products as SWFA, this includes posting links to other retailers for products sold by SWFA. SWFA does not provide this forum as a vehicle to redirect customers to our competition.
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic