OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold CQT update

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abnmp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold CQT update
    Posted: April/13/2006 at 16:23
 I put about 500 rounds through the AR with it a couple of weekends back. About 400rds from 5-50 meters on silhouettes, rapid fire / target acquisition, multiple targets, lots of movement etc. (go that ar hot) Then I turned it over to 3x and laid waste to clay pigeons at about 300 meters. It performed better than I had hoped on both applications. Glass was bright and clear even on an overcast day. This optic has an undeserved bad reputation.  You'll have to find your own ... mine's not for sale.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2006 at 22:59
Heigh I'm glad to hear that you are having good success with it. Have you tried mounting anything to the rails seems like a lazer or a sure fire might be an interesting addition.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2006 at 03:16

Thanks for the review. 

Your quite right, that scope has been "thrown under the bus" more than it deserves.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2006 at 10:50

I think a lot of the reason it has been bypassed is the price is twice what an aimpoint or EOTech is and when you comare it to optics in its price range most shooters are expecting a higher power like a 3-9 etc for their investment.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Critter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2006 at 17:49
You know while I personally prefer the SN-4 for that purpose (Think CQT is a knock-off of same???), some US ARMY Ranger types think it kicks butt!

Edited by Critter
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2006 at 08:52

Tactical Errors

S1 gun not toward the threat,  side of body toward the door.

S2 window behind represents unknown threat, gun vision and most likely threat should be same direction.

S3 Good Job

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
abnmp View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abnmp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2006 at 11:15
Ufriend,  The biggest threat could easily be a sniper on the roof across the street (s2) or an rpg team down the street (s3). The picture does not depict some drug raid, its combat and the potential threats are EVERYWHERE.  If those guys tried to follow your LE tactics a lot less of them would make it home.
Critter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2006 at 12:52
Quote U.S. Army 1st Battalion, 24th Infantry Lt. Col. Eric Kurilla holds an Iraqi man for questioning in Mosul, Iraq, Saturday, Dec. 4, 2004, one day after an insurgent attack nearby. On Friday, about 70 insurgents tried to ambush a U.S. patrol, using roadside bombs, rocket-propelled grenades and small-arms fire. After regrouping, U.S. and Iraqi forces launched an assault, killing more than two dozen insurgents.(AP Photos/Jim MacMillan)

Yes, I wouldn't exactly call this normal police activity. When the hit did come it was from IEDs and a huge car bomb, set off feet away from the STRIKER Vehicle, which was towed away, repaired and back on duty several hours later. Amazing.

It does actually beg the question, what would the Duty Sergeant do if the Swat Team was up against a 70 man force with automatic weapons and rocket propelled grenades in a city that was extremely prejudiced toward their continued presence?

Edited by Critter
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2006 at 17:48

Some Police SWAT tactics work just fine for an Army entry situation which is why mil and civ l.e.both train here at Camp Dodge.

These tactics are about keeping our guys alive. If my original wording was a little harsh for you that doesnt change the fact that my tactics and evaluation are correct. I feel very strongly about tactics that keep our guys alive. And there are tactical errors here. No insult is intended.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
abnmp View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abnmp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2006 at 19:27
LE tactics would work great in a secure environment. In a combat zone there are bad guys everywhere, not just inside the house guarding a crank lab. Your self importance comes through loud and clear listing your tclose creds, to bad its irrelevant.  What chapter does tclose teach room clearing with fragmentation grenades? Is it right after the one where if your really threatened you get on the radio and level the house with a fire mission?  The only thing their going to get if they have tunnel vision on that house is dead quicker. You started this BS with your ding dong avon calling crap. Your arrogance in thinking that those combat soldiers could stay alive more if they could spend some time with you is amusing.

Edited by abnmp
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2006 at 22:44

Glad you are so easily ammused but my tactics keep people alive.

Watch your 6

Stay Ready

On Target On Trigger

HOOAH

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
abnmp View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abnmp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2006 at 07:42
 Looks like about 190 views before you erased your posts. Safe to say most of the regulars read your remarks already.
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2006 at 10:41

Thats OK my tactics are correct for an 11 Bravo.

Gun toward the Threat

Watch your 6.

Cover your team - Stay Ready Stay Alive.

The window behind S2 is a problem.

Body position of S1 is a problem and gun position is a problem.

But your favorite scope - Looks Great in the photo.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2006 at 11:41

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
abnmp View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abnmp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2006 at 14:26
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Thats OK my tactics are correct for an 11 Bravo.

An 11B would have never said anything like you said, much less the way you said it. Then to go and erase all of it ? That sounds more like something a REMF / $10 an hour security guard would do.

abnmp View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abnmp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2006 at 14:32
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

But your favorite scope - Looks Great in the photo.

Should they have nikon 1.5-6's??? (or one of the other "tactical" ((for a REMF security guard)) suggestions you made)

Ufriend, you started all of this with your ridiculous wannabe commentary that you wisely erased. You really should let this thing die, before you further expose yourself as a fraud.

Edited by abnmp
abnmp View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abnmp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2006 at 14:43
Ufriend, I just realized that you have now gone back and rewritten your previous posts. The cleaned up version is much easier to swallow (less chest thumping and rooster strutting on your part, especially glad to see that you dropped the part about more boys making it home alive if they could just learn a small peice of your vast tactical knowledge). Why did you feel the need to rewrite?
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2006 at 00:01

You obviously took offense to the way I responded, so I thought about it, (and I  dont need to list my resume),  but what I said about correct tactics is true, and Ive carried a gun in harms way for many years with several different agencies. I've been trained by both civilian law enforcement and military agencies.  I'm not trying to insult these 11 Bravos and I wanted to make that clear.  I changed the wording to make sure that was clear - simplified and to the point. There are tactical errors here. I would love to have the opportunity to teach entry tactics and firearms - would that help save soldiers lives - Yes - that is not chest thumping or rooster strutting. ( I did  make some suggestions that were successful in getting some of our troops hooked up with DSM Tac for this type of training. Did I get invited to teach - No.) It's not about me making myself out to be anything.   It about helping someone else to stay alive which you seem not to understand - evidenced by your  hostile evaluation of what I said.  

No, I dont think all soldiers need 1.5-6 Nikons rather than EOTechs and Aimpoints but I still think your beloved CQT is marginal at best (personal opinion) and a Trijicon AACOG is a better choice.   Better to have a 1.5-6x42 Nikon than just iron sights, and for the 300yd purpose you mentioned in the initial post it's a viable daylight choice for most of the readers on this forum. If the CQT works for you that's Good,   I hope it keeps you safe, I don't need one, I am no longer on an entry team and If I had a situation where I had to make a tactical entry I would be restricted to the Glock 22 that is issued to me.  

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
abnmp View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abnmp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2006 at 08:00
 a hostile reaction that will be consistent... everytime you use the life and death of our soldiers for self promotion.
Critter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2006 at 10:19
Knowing some of the soldiers in the pictures personally I tend to agree with Urimaginaryfrnd. Training to go to IRAQ was filled with working with the new STRIKERS and fighting the perceived threats that didn't include enough house to house operation. These are some of the best infantry our nation has ever fielded and the STRIKER BRIGADE is the cream of the crop.

My understanding is that the ARMY has instituted more comprehensive MOUT/CQB training in the last few years since these pictures were taken.

In fairness, Urimaginaryfrnd was not the only one to point out the short comings in training.

Edited by Critter
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic