OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

The joys of UPS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The joys of UPS
    Posted: January/10/2013 at 10:14
Today we're sitting in the middle of a storm that will dump 8-14" of snow by the time it's done. Yesterday the streets and (somewhat steep) driveway were bare and it was 45F, but UPS claimed they couldn't deliver a package because it was too icy. I was expecting a more important package today so got online and on the phone with them to figure out what to do. There's no way they were going to deliver in today's conditions.

UPS is not helpful. About the only thing you can do is plunk down $40 a year for UPS My Choice, which gives you the option of re-routing deliveries to another address, UPS Store or their central location. At least you can do this while the package is in transit. You don't have to wait until a delivery attempt is made. I'm willing to pay it because if a delivery is critical to my business I'd rather drive over there and get it at 10:00 a.m. instead of waiting for their lame-o residential delivery at 6:00 p.m.

Fedex seems better and faster. I recently placed two orders with a business in Iowa and had one shipped UPS and the other Fedex. UPS took 5 days while Fedex took only 3. Routing may vary depending on shipper/receiver locations, but worth checking your options.
Reaction time is a factor...
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2013 at 10:28
Sucks for sure.  UPS delivered a box to my house last week from Midway that had three boxes of bullets in them (2 boxes of 500 and 1 of 1000) they had been tossed around and an entire side of the box was torn off. One box of 500 was missing from the box and I had several loose bullets from that loose box in the box, (other two were still sealed)  They laid the torn side on the top of the box and left it.  Had to file a claim with them through Midway to get refunded.  Had they taped it back up when they tore it and put the bullets back inside I'd have had no issues cause Midway did put it in an entirely to big of a box for what was shipped.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2013 at 14:24
Most of the time they don't even get to my house until 8pm or later.  They dropped off a box at 9:30 PM the other night.  They don't even ring the door bell, they just drop it off and run.  Last week my wife had a package dropped off that was quite valuable.  He quietly sat it on the porch and started sneaking off.  I opened the door and he did not even turn around.  I asked him why he could not even ring the bell.  He turned around and just looked at me.  I said this was valuable what if it got stolen?  He just raised his shoulders and said I guess you would just have to make a claim and walked off.  Arrogant SOB. 

Same UPS guy one day was bringing computer parts into the Bank.  Dropped the whole box coming in the door from waist high.  Had over $6000 worth of computer parts in it.  I walked over and said do you realize how much that box it worth?  He reply was I am sure it has been through worse than this.  He did not give a crap.  I freaking hate UPS.  Then when he put it down he dropped it from about a foot off the ground.  Several of the parts where damaged and had to be replaced. 

I sometimes order stuff overnight and it is suppose to be there by 10am.  Never happens, usually 1 or 2.  When I question then they just say sorry.  I have called corporate and they could care less.  Pisses me off because I need that stuff and have to wait nearly the whole business day before I get it.  Did I say I freaking hate UPS.

Fed Ex guy when he comes is there first thing int he morn, I am talking by 8am.  Always rings the bell and makes sure we answer and actually are home. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2013 at 14:31
Sigh. While I was out retrieving my UPS packages, the Fedex driver actually attempted to deliver my upper from Rainier Arms. Couldn't/wouldn't leave it w/o signature, which is okay. At least that driver made the attempt to deliver even in the snow. I called Fedex and had them hold it at their location, which is near UPS, which is where I have to go again tomorrow anyway.
Reaction time is a factor...
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2013 at 14:42
Seems you've gotten my luck Jono!
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic