OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Wide Physical Lens

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PseudoNugent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wide Physical Lens
    Posted: January/09/2013 at 14:39
I'm looking for a scope to throw on my Remington 7mm, but I have a Leupold already that puts my shots in a three-inch group at 750yds. I am an avid big game hunter, and I'm looking for a scope with a physically wide field of view, as in with a lens shaped more like an oval/rectangle than the standard circle. I'm not sure if practical scopes with that shape exist or are commonly available, but if they are can someone point me to them?
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2013 at 15:39
None known. If you're hunting within 400 yards and want something also good for close shots, then 2 to 3X on the low end and 10-15 on the high end will give you a large range of scopes with good field of view.
Reaction time is a factor...
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2013 at 15:51
What scope do you have on it now?
hydra7 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydra7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2013 at 16:34
I am curious as to what scope is on it now as well, 3" groups at 750 yards is impressive IMO.
Give me a shot, I won't disappoint!
PseudoNugent View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PseudoNugent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2013 at 18:36
The scope is old, it was a gift from my grandfather. Most of the magnification info has been worn off. 3" at 750 was with match grade ammo on a still day, in optimal conditions.
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2013 at 20:12
WELCOME!!!

Redfield Illuminators are available via auction sites but they are not readily available but you can get one if you are lucky.

I am wondering if you can get the Hawke Wideview they are very under rated.

It is a hard question not many have the Panoramic view as the old Redfields.

Good luck in your endeavors.

No one
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2013 at 22:11
What is your budget? I would imagine that most modern scopes are going to have a wider FOV than a old Leuppy. I am with Jon, a scope with a mag range 3-12 to 15x would be about perfect. But my recommendation depends on your price range...
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
PseudoNugent View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PseudoNugent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2013 at 01:12
I'm a firm believer in spending as much as necessary on one's scope, because at the end of the day it's the scope that defines the shot. Anywhere up to $500-600.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic