OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Berger Hybrid hunting bullets

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Berger Hybrid hunting bullets
    Posted: January/09/2013 at 10:17
I think I've found my new go-to hunting bullet, particularly for a .308 semi-auto that needs to be loaded to mag length: http://www.bergerbullets.com/products/hunting-bullets/ (the 168 gr. Classic Hunter). The G7 BC @ .254 is almost as good as the .259 BC for the 175 gr. OTM. I've had really good results with the OTM, but a hunting bullet it ain't. I'll still use up my 165 gr. Accubonds, but with a shorter barrel and possibly lighter charges, the extra BC is good. Litz found the Accubonds were only .228 G7. I found it was even slightly lower - .226.
Reaction time is a factor...
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2013 at 22:56
It didn't really occur to me when I ordered them how much 500 168 gr bullets weigh. Got a tracking number from Bruno's and noticed the package is 12.8 lbs. 12 of that is boolits.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2013 at 23:12
What did they charge you for shipping ?
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2013 at 12:25
$18.35, which doesn't seem so bad for a 12.8 lb. box. I thought their communication was good too. Although the bullets were backordered when I placed the order, Bruno's kept in touch to let me know when they expected them...and were a week early.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2013 at 13:43
cool
what barrel are you running?
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2013 at 16:38
These will be shot from mag length loads (for 16" .308 AR) and because I've had good luck with the hybrid ogive design mag length from my Tikka as well, which I'm having cut down to either 16" or 18". Haven't decided on which, but it's going to be a "carbine" mountain rifle and only needs to be accurate and lethal out to 300 yards. In all my years of hunting elk and deer in the hills, I've yet to shoot over that distance.

In fact, having gotten one deer (at a distance I won't disclose) two seasons ago, I've left all long range shooting to non-living targets. If I can't get within 400 yards of an antelope or 300 yards of an elk or deer I'm not hunting well. This last season, my biggest thrill was sitting on the edge of a snow-covered meadow 30 yards from the closest of a herd of 40-50 elk. I wasn't but five yards in the trees and they never knew I was there.
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2013 at 16:52
Here's a picture comparing the .308 Berger 175 gr. OTM, Berger Classic Hunter 168 gr., SMK 168 gr. and Nosler Accubond 165 gr. It's interesting to see how variations in the engineering can contribute to BC, stability and seating length. I'd guess too that since the Classic Hunter would require less seating depth to maintain the same OAL as the longer Accubond you could pack in more powder...as much as is safe anyway and not too hard on the brass.
The advantages to that are a higher velocity load and one that's more consistent because slightly compressed loads don't shift around.

jselsor View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jselsor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2013 at 18:03
I hunt deer with 168 amax loaded at mag length and they do great! I would only worry about using the bonded bullets on big game. Never used Berger but hear good things!
Dont take yourself to seriously
Gil P. View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2013 at 21:05
Have you tried the classic hunter on elk?
Easy come easy go

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else.
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2013 at 21:29
These are brand new to me so I haven't. I'll report on the accuracy and ballistics when I get a chance. But won't be shooting game until late October.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2013 at 07:33
Originally posted by jselsor jselsor wrote:

I hunt deer with 168 amax loaded at mag length and they do great! I would only worry about using the bonded bullets on big game. Never used Berger but hear good things!
I've had terrible luck with the amax on game.  No expansion and a lost trophy because of it.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
jselsor View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jselsor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2013 at 08:12
No expansion? What caliber SVT? I loaded some 168amax for my dads 30-06 and it literally blew a hole the size of my fist in the exit side of a whitetail! When he came back to camp his exact words were "I don't know what the bleep kind of bullets you loaded me but they tear up to much meat"
I would think being thin jacketed ther would be an issue with over expansion or fragmenting if anything.
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2013 at 09:08
Depends on the range and animal. I dropped a whitetail doe in her tracks @ 325 yards with an OTM...totally humane and very small exit wound. An antelope @ 200ish had a huge exit wound. The comment I got was, "I didn't know you hunted with an RPG."

Any bullet will have poor performance at some range. I've had Accubonds pencil through under 50 yards. But nonetheless I'm sticking to bullets designed for hunting.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2013 at 10:03
Originally posted by jselsor jselsor wrote:

No expansion? What caliber SVT? I loaded some 168amax for my dads 30-06 and it literally blew a hole the size of my fist in the exit side of a whitetail! When he came back to camp his exact words were "I don't know what the bleep kind of bullets you loaded me but they tear up to much meat"
I would think being thin jacketed ther would be an issue with over expansion or fragmenting if anything.
308 loaded hot as I could without pressure signs.  Distance was 145yds.  Perfect broadside shot.  Recovered the deer a few days later and had perfectly round holes through both shoulders.  Like shooting it with a arrow with a field point on it.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2013 at 10:28
I am going to try the 168 CH in the 7 mag.  Love the numbers.
-Matt
jselsor View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jselsor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2013 at 10:30
Well SVT just from hanging around here I know you are a straight shooter! I believe you! That's unfortunate. Now you got me 2nd guessing my deer load!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2013 at 10:46
I have heard the "penciling" stories quite often with Amax bullets in the .308 and under calibers.

Seems like you hear about better results with the .338.
-Matt
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2013 at 10:53
if it works for you go for it it just made me quit using them because it was the largest deer I'd ever shot and finding him with the help of buzzards wasn't my fondest memories.  I've switched over to barnes for my hunting bullets now.  I've gotten great results with expansion with them. 
Gil P. View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2013 at 17:09

Are these bullets designed to perform like the hunting VLDs just in a shorter bullet?

Easy come easy go

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2013 at 18:32
Originally posted by Gil P. Gil P. wrote:

Are these bullets designed to perform like the hunting VLDs just in a shorter bullet?

They are intended to perform  on big game with high BCs, but in a factory twist barrel and loaded for regular magazine lengths.
-Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic