OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Chronograph Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M1Thumb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chronograph Question
    Posted: January/08/2013 at 22:16
Any suggestions of a inexpensive but accurate chronograph?

Never owned or used one and thinking this might be a good piece of equipment to get to help stay out of trouble with.
Geo-spatially speaking you missed :o)
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2013 at 23:04
Competition Electronics Prochrono...works well and about $100 if you shop around.
Reaction time is a factor...
M1Thumb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M1Thumb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2013 at 23:11
Thanks Jon was curious if a 100 clam unit was worth it

Rick
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2013 at 10:08
It is. I've looked into getting a CED, for instance, and was amazed how at twice the price (or more if you get the better screens) it gets dinged a lot in reviews. I've also seen a CED and a Pact at the range get blown over...seems the sides of the screens can pick up some muzzle blast. I can't say good or bad about other $100-range chronos but going by reviews across the board, the Prochrono scores better. I've found it's good to keep a fresh 9v in it...and I have to replace smoke detector batteries anyway. So about every 3-4 trips to the range when I've used it (might be months in between) I'll throw one in and keep the partly-used battery for around the house.

Something to remember with any chronograph: Always line up on it using your lowest power. Don't forget the difference between scope height and muzzle height either. What I do is line up with the top of the box centered in the crosshairs. Then I go up 4-6 inches. They don't read so go when their little electronic brains get a .308 round through them.
Reaction time is a factor...
M1Thumb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M1Thumb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2013 at 22:14
LOL yup a .308 to the circuit board is not a good thing
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2013 at 20:39
Guy at the range: Wow! A chronograph! Can I shoot it?

Me: Get out there and run zig-zag.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic