OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

next level

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmac36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: next level
    Posted: January/08/2013 at 14:20
Sadhello my amigos, happy new year to u all!  well i have just made that jump from a "mickey mouse" shooter to a "big game" shooter, let me explain...... i have owned a .22 mag for best part of 20 yrs and thought it time to take it to next level, so i bought myself 222brno cz. on passing on my good news a bloke was fit to inform me i was wasting my time. i did look at the whole 204 thing but was told ammo was hard to get, and didnt fancy the 243 270 bla bla bla. is there much of a difference between the 222 and the 223 and why did this man say i wasting my time! can any1 shed any light???
long runs the wolf...
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2013 at 14:37
you didn't waste anything.   222 is fine.   223 just more popular now is all.  more ammo etc.  but 222 shoots fine.  not sure about the brno part though
take em!
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2013 at 15:01
There is very little practical performance difference between .222 and .223. I have no idea why your friend said you're "wasting your time," not knowing the context in which he said that. He may have been referring to the less common brass availability of .222 vs. .223. Given the option, I would rather have a .223 than .222 simply due to the more common availability of brass at cheaper prices, coupled with the slight velocity advantage. He could also have been referring to the effectiveness of the cartridge on big game animals. Although they are very fine cartridges for hunting varmint-sized animals, with superb accuracy potential, .222 (and .223) is a very light cartridge for big game larger than small deer, although bullet selection and shot placement is critical with all cartridge choices. In some jurisdictions, it may even be illegal to use .22 caliber centerfire cartridges for big game. If you wish to hunt animals larger than deer, larger calibers that use bullets of greater frontal bullet area and mass produce larger wound channels and therefore theoretically kill more rapidly and humanely. This in no way means your .222 won't kill big game, because it certainly will. Again, bullet construction and shot placement is paramount to cartridge effectiveness.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2013 at 17:10
Nothing wrong with the CZ either !

Peddler
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2013 at 17:14
Tell Tip69 puga Mahon !

Peddler
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
MC Escher View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Escher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2013 at 18:45
Originally posted by pmac36 pmac36 wrote:

...I bought myself 222 brno cz. on passing on my good news a bloke was fit to inform me i was wasting my time.  is there much of a difference between the 222 and the 223 and why did this man say i wasting my time! can any1 shed any light???

First of all, we have a saying here in America that I think applies...
Opinions are like hindquarters. Everyone has them and they all stink. Wink
You were wasting your time alright... Wasting your time sharing your good news with him.

As for the cartridge...
The .223 is a wee bit longer, and being loaded to about 5,000psi higher pressure, is a wee bit faster in equal bullet weights.
I don't reckon the difference makes much difference.

As regards the CZ BRNO...
That's a fine gun you've got there. I'd be proud to have one in my collection.

But which one did you get? I'm guessing a 527...?
The older I get, the better I feel about tearing up parking tickets and cheating on my taxes.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic