OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Please help with replacement scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluegold04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Please help with replacement scope
    Posted: January/07/2013 at 13:33
Weapon:  Weatherby Mark V .30-06 (Standard build, Wood stock)
Current Scope:  Redfield 3x9
Me:  6'1" 200lb male, athletic build
Situation:  Every time I assume a comfortable shooting position, relief from the eyepiece is not sufficient and I risk scoping myself (which I have done).  I have tried to adjust the eyepiece, but it will not allow for further adjustment.  So, I am in need of more relief while maintaining proper parallax (?). 

I am looking for reasonably priced scope upgrades (<$500) as well as whether this is a common problem with my body measurements and this particular rifle.  The weapon is beautiful, shoots true, and I believe with a new scope would be a good system.

Thanks in advance for any help with this dilemma. 

bg
BobbyH View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobbyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2013 at 07:48
I have a Weatherby Mark V Stainless also 30-06. I use a Leupold Vari X III 3.5-10x40 with no problems. I would put a gloss Leupold 3.5-10X40 VX-3 if your rifle is a gloss Weatherby.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2013 at 08:51

WELCOME to OT,bg.

I'm guessing your Redfield is an older one? If so I remember them as having not too much in the way of eye relief and being critical as to head/eye position for an image view.  It's also possible that the length of pull measurement of the stock(LOP)is not correct for you which would compound your problem. All that being said,if it was me I'd be looking to purchase a scope that has at the least a constant or near constant eye relief of 3.5 to 4 inches.  In case you don't know what I'm meaning,the "relief from the eyepiece"you refer to stays constant or near so throughout the magnification range.  I look at the magnification range of 2x to 3.5x on the low end up to 9x to 10x on the high end as being a good general all-around set up. Not knowing what type reticle interests you I'll not get in to that discussion. One scope I know of that meets the above criteria is the 3-9x40 Conquest. Others I've heard of are:

I don't know what the e/r of the Leupold mentioned above is like but it would be a good choice if it was at least close to constant. 

Edited by 300S&W - January/08/2013 at 10:11
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2013 at 09:46
if you can find a Conquest 3-9X40... that would be perfect.  I put one on my kids A-Bolt '06 and it works great.  Also put one on my other son's M700  .270.  they are sweet!
take em!
jls28 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jls28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2013 at 17:23
All I can say is never sell youself short on your glass.  Lost a bull elk due to not being able to get the corss hairs at last light on him with a VX2 Leupold  replaced with a Swarovski  3X9 and will not miss next chance I get. The difference is well worth the extra couple hundred dollars.  I am not knocking Leupold I have a number of them but now I get the best I can for the purpose so the recommendation of a VX3 or better is the way to go.  The VX2 went on a 22 plinker and it works great there
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2013 at 17:43

+1  Get the best you can afford (and maybe even a little more than you can Big Grin). I'll also add that,within reason,it's best to keep your optics upgraded to the newer technology.  I missed a chance at a buck a few yrs back when using one of my refurbed El Paso Weavers.  Ended up having to try for a shot directly into the horizon where the sun had set.  Talk about a whiteout.  Went back the next evening with a Weaver GS equipped rifle and,although I didn't see deer,the same view through that scope was vastly different to say the least.

"I ain't got time to bleed!"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic