OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SWFA SS 10-42

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cobra7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SWFA SS 10-42
    Posted: January/07/2013 at 00:59
After I get it scoped in can I zero both turrets and if so how?
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2013 at 04:33
Welcome to Optics Talk. 

Find the load your wanting to use. Go to the range and shoot it in until your shooting a consistent "bulls eye", or point of aim/point of impact @ 100 yards, or whatever yardage your wanting.

When this is achieved, loosen the center screw inside the W/E turrets, gently slide them off, set them back down on ZERO, and tighten the center screw, making sure the turret is still holding on the zero. 

This is if you have a newer SS. The older ones have 3 set screws on the sides of the turrets.   
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Cobra7 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cobra7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2013 at 07:21
Thanks Cheaptrick
twocan View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twocan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2013 at 11:27
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Welcome to Optics Talk. 

Find the load your wanting to use. Go to the range and shoot it in until your shooting a consistent "bulls eye", or point of aim/point of impact @ 100 yards, or whatever yardage your wanting.

When this is achieved, loosen the center screw inside the W/E turrets, gently slide them off, set them back down on ZERO, and tighten the center screw, making sure the turret is still holding on the zero. 

This is if you have a newer SS. The older ones have 3 set screws on the sides of the turrets.   

CheaptricK:

I have just received one of the ss10x42MQ scopes with three screws in the turrets.  I was able to loosen each turret and turn the "0" to line up with the vertical line, but I am not able to lower the elevation turrent down to the "1" line.  It remains at the "6" horizontal line (turn indicator).

My windage (azximuth) turret is zeroed at the "4" turn indicator line which seems OK since it is in the middle of the range of adjustment.

I removed the elevation turret and see that there is some room to adjust the height of the turret a small amount, but do not see any way to adjust it down to the "1" turn line indicator.

What am I missing?

Capt. Art
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2013 at 17:33
Originally posted by twocan twocan wrote:

Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Welcome to Optics Talk. 

CheaptricK:

I have just received one of the ss10x42MQ scopes with three screws in the turrets.  I was able to loosen each turret and turn the "0" to line up with the vertical line, but I am not able to lower the elevation turrent down to the "1" line.  It remains at the "6" horizontal line (turn indicator).

My windage (azximuth) turret is zeroed at the "4" turn indicator line which seems OK since it is in the middle of the range of adjustment.

I removed the elevation turret and see that there is some room to adjust the height of the turret a small amount, but do not see any way to adjust it down to the "1" turn line indicator.

What am I missing?

Capt. Art
 What kind of rings and base are you using?
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
twocan View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twocan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2013 at 18:17
Billy:

Scope is mounted on a Remington 700 in .30-06 caliber

Using a Leupold standard one piece base (0 moa) and
Leupold standard 30 mm rings-medium height

The prior scope on the same base was a Redfield Revolution 4-12x40mm on Leupold 1" medium standard rings and did not require as much elevation adjustment to line up with the bore.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2013 at 18:22
You have 6 rev lines showing? It sounds like you are getting the teeth of the gears lined up. With the retention screws tight, does the knob click when turned?
twocan View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twocan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2013 at 18:29
Yes, the knob clicks when turned, and it feels and appears to be working properly.

While it is clear that I can rotate the know to align the zero mark by loosening the three screws in the turret know, when I lift the knob off of the turret, I cannot find any adjustment that will allow the turret knob to go lower down on the turret to line up with the "1" revolution line.

Is there another release that allows the turret knob to come down without changing the zero setting?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2013 at 18:33
There isn't any other adjustments. Just for fun, how much "up" travel do you have left? Remember to how many revs it goes, so you don't get lost...
twocan View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twocan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2013 at 18:40
Total travel that I measured was 8.3 revolutions from bottom to top.

When it came out of the box it was set at about 4.2

So, I have 10 mils (2 revolutions to the stop)

I guess that I am confused as to where the design point is for a zeroed scope.  Since you start off with the elevation centered at about 4 revoutions to the minimum and 4 revolutions to the max, (which puts you at the"4" rev line) the turret knob will never be anywhere near the "0" or the "1" rev line unless there is a way to adjust the height of the turret knob to relocate it near the bottom rev line.

I have been unable to find a manual or set up instructions on line or on the SWFA website.  Would you know where I could get one?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2013 at 18:48
My suggestion would be a canted base. And ditch the Leuppy Standard base and rings. I really don't like them.I would suggest a quality picatinney rail and low rings, or Talley light weight rings if you are not wanting the "Tactical" look.
twocan View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twocan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2013 at 19:02
Thanks, Billy
Gil P. View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2013 at 19:35
I have a similar setup, except im using an SWFA SS 12X42, its mounted with TPS TSR low rings and an EGW HD 20MOA base. Between the scope and the base there is a .195 inch gap and if I cut the small end part of the base off, I would have around a half inch gap. I wish I would have gotten low rings. The TPS rings im using are .925 inches high, so you should look for something lower than that as we have similar setups. Try and get that scope mounted low!

Easy come easy go

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else.
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2013 at 19:58
Twocan, what caliber rifle are you shooting and at what distance are you zeroing at? 
twocan View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twocan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2013 at 06:28
The rifle is Remington 700 in .30-06 caliber.

This is only my initial setup.  The sighting in has only been done with a bore sighter and not yet on the range.

I was just confused as to how to set up the turret knob to "standard configuration" before I get to the range for actual sighting in.

With the prior scope (Redfield 4-12x40) it was zeroed at 200 yards as I used holdover primarily for other ranges, but I was planning to zero the SS10x42MQ at 100 yards and use the turret knobs rather than hold over for longer distances

What is the "normal" setup for the turret knob when the scope is at the "zeroed position"?

Since I am going to zero at 100 yds, there is no value in having the turret knob at the "4" revolution line.  It seems to encourage confusion by doing that.  So before I get to the range, I want to know what has been done by others.

Capt. Art
twocan View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twocan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2013 at 07:54
Originally posted by Gil P. Gil P. wrote:

I have a similar setup, except im using an SWFA SS 12X42, its mounted with TPS TSR low rings and an EGW HD 20MOA base. Between the scope and the base there is a .195 inch gap and if I cut the small end part of the base off, I would have around a half inch gap. I wish I would have gotten low rings. The TPS rings im using are .925 inches high, so you should look for something lower than that as we have similar setups. Try and get that scope mounted low!

Gil:

Is your SS12x42MQ  mounted on a Remington 700 in .30-06?

Gil P. View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2013 at 10:17
Its on a Remington 700 in .308 with a varmint contour barrel.
Easy come easy go

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else.
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2013 at 14:24

Since I am going to zero at 100 yds, there is no value in having the turret knob at the "4" revolution line.  It seems to encourage confusion by doing that.  So before I get to the range, I want to know what has been done by others.

You can't change that--it's a function of where in the scope's total elevation range your zero ends up.  If you have a 20 MOA base you'll be on a different line than you will on a flat base, etc, don't worry about it.

Just use those lines for reference; simply remember at which line your zero ends up so you can return to it after spinning the knob multiple times.
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2013 at 17:38

The rifle is Remington 700 in .30-06 caliber.

This is only my initial setup.  The sighting in has only been done with a bore sighter and not yet on the range.

What is the "normal" setup for the turret knob when the scope is at the "zeroed position"?

Capt. Art

This makes more sense to me now. Bore sighting is just to get you on paper and is not going to be accurate for sighting in your rifle. I no longer use a bore sight since I have seen way too many rifles that were bore sighted and were not even close to being on paper. With bolt action rifles I generally remove the bolt and look through the bore at a target that is at least 50yds away and then adjust my scope so the cross hairs are on what I see in the center of the bore. Then I will shoot at least three rounds and take the average of them and make my adjustment to the center of my target. I repeat this until the average of my groups are where I what them. Once I am satisfied that my rifle is zeroed I then reset my knobs on my scope.

And if you do the method of looking through the bore of your rifle I would probably guess that you will be around the fourth revolution and not the sixth. That is assuming that your rings and mount are within spec.

Actually I would not shot your rifle until you have used the method of looking through the bore. And since the center of the scope is around 4 and you are up 2 revolutions to 6. You could be as much as 10mils high or 36MOA high. That much elevation could very likely mean you will be shooting over the back stop!!! And with a rifle as powerful as an 06 that could be very dangerous!!! I go up about 26MOA to get to 600yds with my 308 if I remember correctly.

And if you think you could be confused my having the elevation at something other than the first mark. I would either change the color of the mark I am zeroed at or I know some people who use an O ring that fights tight under the elevation adjustment knob. You will not get it to zero at the first mark unless you use a canted base. And I would not recommend that you do that since the SS has tons of elevation adjustment.
twocan View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twocan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2013 at 18:30
You can't change that--it's a function of where in the scope's total elevation range your zero ends up.  If you have a 20 MOA base you'll be on a different line than you will on a flat base, etc, don't worry about it.

Just use those lines for reference; simply remember at which line your zero ends up so you can return to it after spinning the knob multiple times.
Thanks, Jon.

That's what I was thinking, but it seemed like I was missing something.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic