OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

H&R 45-70 gov.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MADMATT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: H&R 45-70 gov.
    Posted: January/06/2013 at 16:26
I just bought a new H&R 45-75 single shot handi with a 22in barrel.

Does anyone know what kind of pressures this rifle can take? There are quite a few warnings in the loading manual about maximum C.U.P. pressure. But my rifle isn't talked about specifically.

Can I load a 300 grain slug at 1800-2000 fps with this gun?
If you don't fight for your rights they all will be taken away. Bet on it!!
MC Escher View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Escher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2013 at 10:06
Originally posted by MADMATT MADMATT wrote:

I just bought a new H&R 45-75 single shot handi with a 22in barrel.

Does anyone know what kind of pressures this rifle can take? There are quite a few warnings in the loading manual about maximum C.U.P. pressure. But my rifle isn't talked about specifically.

Can I load a 300 grain slug at 1800-2000 fps with this gun?

Well, that's not a very hot load.

If I were you I would call the factory and ask, but in the meantime the internet rumor mill spits out three factoids that you may find helpful:

1) Pretty much any factory ammo is fine. The H&R is chambered in .500 S&W, which is loaded at what...? 60,000cup? PSI? Somewhere around there. The big Garret loads are loaded to around 35,000cup.

2) Having said that, be careful when getting into the more powerful Buffalo Bore & Garrett Cartridges. Rule of thumb: You can shoot anything that is safe in the Marlin 1895 Lever Action (336 Series)

3) You do NOT have a Ruger #1. Unless H&R themselves can specifically tell you that you your Handi is safe at those power levels, you need to keep in mind that your rifle's strength falls somewhere above the Marlin 1895 and the Ruger #1. Which brings us back to rumor #2; stick to loads considered safe in the Marlin 1895 and and so shall you be too. Safe, I mean.

BTW, congratulations...
The H&R is one of the best values in a survival gun that there is; "survival gun" being defined in this case as a gun that is strong, with almost no moving parts to break and which can be expected to last so long you will replace it with a Phaser Pistol.
The older I get, the better I feel about tearing up parking tickets and cheating on my taxes.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2013 at 11:29

All that I've read says "NEF recommends not exceeding loads for the Marlin 1895" although I couldn't find a link to verify that.  I'd be asking them directly.

"I ain't got time to bleed!"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic