OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Have you written your representatives yet?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Have you written your representatives yet?
    Posted: January/04/2013 at 11:32
Just finished contacting both my Senators and my Representative to express my wishes regarding the rights of legitimate, law abiding gun owners. Make sure you do more than scramble around trying to stock up on ammo and hi-cap magazines. I know a lot of guys here have probably already done the same.
Reaction time is a factor...
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2013 at 11:51
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2013 at 11:53
Ok, I got this link off the Hide, and it was working then. Hopefully it will be back up soon.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2013 at 12:37
I can't help but feel sick about what's happening out there to our ability to purchase firearms, parts or even handloading components for a reasonable price and within a decent time-frame. You can blame it on threatened legislation...and right now it's a serious threat, but only a threat, not a reality. There's also some blame to go around for those who are more interested in hoarding these items at any price than in pushing hard on their elected representatives to resist anything too drastic.
I have to wonder at the people who are on the buying side of the market. We are better off with more firearms owners with fewer guns each than with a relatively few owners with far more guns, etc. than they can use. I know of two guys who have given up on new builds because it's impossible to get the parts. Maybe next they will just find it too much of a pain to reload or to even bother hunting anymore. I just wish that those who are so busy just buying (and probably endangering themselves financially) would put a little effort into putting pressure on their elected representatives. And, for good measure, send a letter or two to other representatives who are vulnerable in the 2014 elections. Let them know you'll be donating to their opponents.
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2013 at 12:38
I can't help but feel sick about what's happening out there to our ability to purchase firearms, parts or even handloading components for a reasonable price and within a decent time-frame. You can blame it on threatened legislation...and right now it's a serious threat, but only a threat, not a reality. There's also some blame to go around for those who are more interested in hoarding these items at any price than in pushing hard on their elected representatives to resist anything too drastic.
I have to wonder at the people who are on the buying side of the market. We are better off with more firearms owners with fewer guns each than with a relatively few owners with far more guns, etc. than they can use. I know of two guys who have given up on new builds because it's impossible to get the parts. Maybe next they will just find it too much of a pain to reload or to even bother hunting anymore.
If those who are so busy just buying (and probably endangering themselves financially) would put a little effort into putting pressure on their elected representatives it would help. And, for good measure, send a letter or two to other representatives who are vulnerable in the 2014 elections. Let them know you'll be donating to their opponents.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2013 at 12:57
How do you know a lot of those people who are buying are not writing letters?

It is human nature to try are prepare at the last minute.  When a person feels threatened they react.  People are scared so they are reacting right now, it is survival at the basic level.  Sure it is rough for some because they cannot get what they want right now.  But other people have a right to buy as much as they want when they want.  It sucks for someone who is on the losing end of this, but you just gotta embrace the suck.  Wink
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2013 at 14:17
I don't know if they are writing or not. But it does have the air of a panic when everything is flying off the shelves. A potential ban on hi-cap mags shouldn't translate into a run on reloading components, for instance.

As far as people having a right to buy as much as they want, no doubt. But which is better: Joe Blow owning 10 AR lowers, half of which sit in a box because he can't afford to build off them anyway and his neighbor Ralph who was thinking of getting into shooting more but won't now because he's not invested in it. He doesn't want to pay twice as much as he would have a month ago or spend all his time scrounging for parts or components. Ultimately, current semi-auto enthusiasts are going to shoot themselves in the foot by pricing out potential allies.

Personally, why should I care? I've been buying handloading components steadily for years whenever they've been on sale. I can't even safely store any more primers now. I've got the firearms and parts I want and could turn around and sell some stuff on gunbroker for 2-4X profit. So I'm not complaining on my own behalf - other than to say that the more of us there are the better. And that's only going to happen if people calm down and act deliberately.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2013 at 14:33
I get what you mean, and honestly agree with you.  But people are going to do what people do when they are scared.  I am just glad I had the foresight to get what I needed prior to all this. 

I have been trying for two weeks to find AR parts for a buddy and my father in-law.  We have found and bought everything at normal prices except for lowers, still working on those. 

And by the way I have written my reps. Big Grin  Not that it matters since mine are all progun anyway. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2013 at 15:23
Same here. Now I have it mind to write people like Nancy Pelosi and say "Through your statements and promises to ban so-called assault rifles and related items you have done more to flood the market with semi-auto firearms, high capacity magazines, and ammo than anyone alive. Every gun store owner in America is debating whether you or Barack Obama will be named Sales Rep of the Century."
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2013 at 20:18
While the panic buying is a shame, and I can't predict the future, a friend of mine thinks that in 6 months to a year people will start selling the stuff they bought because they will need the money more than the stuff.
All but one of my Rep.s and both Senators are pro-gun, but I will still write them, because they need to hear they have our support. 
M7025-06 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M7025-06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2013 at 08:35
Wrote my Rep's and BO about a week ago.  I've been checking my inbox every 5 minutes waiting for a response.  Whacko

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2013 at 20:19

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2013 at 20:33
Feinstein's a great example of why we need term limits.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2013 at 07:53
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

no politics in general is why we need term limits..... they all are the same.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2013 at 10:47
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

She makes Hilary Clinton look like a saint in comparison. Add her to the list of California vulture species.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2013 at 13:18
This needs to be bumped to the top.
Trigger slap View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigger slap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2013 at 21:28
logo Gun Owners of America

Will the U.S. Follow Germany's Example?
The country that invented Nazism sets up national gun registry

Something very instructive just happened in Germany.

Germany just implemented "a vast registry that details every legal gun owner in the country, along with information about all of their firearms."

They did this, based on records that, in some cases, "were kept on index cards across what used to be 551 separate local registries."  

Thus, with everyone's name already on an index card (read:  4473 forms) in what was effectively a "universal background check," it was a small step to a national gun registry. 

Not surprisingly, "gun rights groups" in Germany raised no real opposition.  "We are used to it," said one.

Now, in the words of The Washington Post:

If they are preparing a raid on a house, they can scout the address in the database to be better prepared for what weapons might lie within.  Before the database, they could only guess at overall numbers, and finding the weapons registered to a certain address had been laborious.

Do we need any better indication of why "universal background checks" are the most insidious aspect of Barack Obama’s gun control? 

We know that gun confiscation is the ultimate endgame for many of the gun grabbers on the Left.  Consider just a few, recent well-known cases:

* "Confiscation could be an option," declared New York Governor Andrew Cuomo in a radio interview (December 27, 2012).

* "We cannot have big guns out here," said Iowa Rep. Dan Muhlbauer. "Even if you have them, I think we need to start taking them." (Interview with the Iowa Daily Times Herald, December 19, 2012.)

* "No one is allowed to be armed. We're going to take all the guns," said P. Edwin Compass III, the superintendent of the New Orleans police, right before several law-enforcement agencies began confiscating the firearms of lawful gun owners in the wake of Hurricane Katrina (2005).

The task of confiscating guns is much easier when the government has a registration list.  And that is the number one reason gun owners should oppose background checks, because they give federal bureaucrats the framework for a national registration system.

If Obama gets his way, we will be much further down road to giving the Andrew Cuomos of the world the registration lists they need. 

Some liberal gun-grabbers are trying to paint it as "non-controversial."  But this hideous provision requiring every American to get the permission of the government before exercising their Second Amendment rights must be stopped.   

ACTIONClick here to contact your Senators and Representative.  Insist that they oppose the national background check, which would set the framework for a national gun registry and confiscation.

Please do not reply directly to this message, as your reply will bounce back as undeliverable.
Please forward this e-mail to friends and family
Gun Owners of America
8001 Forbes Place, Suite 102
Springfield, VA 22151
703-321-8585
www.gunowners.org
Contact Form
 Couldn't be easier just click on the link 
 If you no longer wish to r
How can we call it unalienable when we allow it to be suspended revoked or restricted?
M1Thumb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M1Thumb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2013 at 00:19
I did contact them and they feel that all the crimes are commited by "assualt weapons" and should be banned.

Gland I didnt vote for them
Geo-spatially speaking you missed :o)
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2013 at 03:33
I just received back a responce from 1/2 the bureaucrats I sent they are on our side[supposedly]This form I sent was on the Ruger gun site!

Edited by stickbow46 - January/24/2013 at 04:02
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Trigger slap View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigger slap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2013 at 09:21
How can we call it unalienable when we allow it to be suspended revoked or restricted?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic