OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

AR lowers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2013 at 20:23
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=324317748   You might get this for a deal if you wait till the last minute to bid on it.  Not just everyone knows about Sun Devil or wants a red one.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=324770779  Thunbs Up This is a nice rifle the price is premium but it was about a $1200 to $1300 rifle before the insanity so might be worth going with at its buy now premium price because much delay may take you to a point where they can not be transfered.  The only other one shown is several hundred more.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=324322454  You would have  to watch this to see what it does could go either way.

This is typical of whats going on want to see real madness .

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
HuntMaster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2013 at 21:48

Koshkin was right on when he said avoid Hesse/Vulcan, and this same company also used the Blackthorne moniker.

Over the yrs I have also heard to avoid Olympic Arms- especially their cast receiver rifles, but I must admit, I had an Olympic with forged lower for a spell. It was a Target/Match rifle, and performed flawlessly. Wish I still had the upper, it would cloverleaf groups all day long.   

BobC View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2013 at 08:40
Magazines are going for what a striped lower was going for a couple months agoEek.I hope things get back to normal. This sucks.
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2013 at 17:28
When obamuslim first took office there was a run on AR's and ammo. That lasted almost a yr before things started to settle back to "normal". This may be somewhat different. My suppliers say they have several thousand on order but when they will start seeing them is anybodies guess. (I think there is some politics blockin production). If they trickle in like last time it will stall the recovery because the suppliers allocate to their top distributors and go down the list as they come in. Plus this will serve to keep prices on the moon longer. I'm courious to see just how crazy this is gonna get before it peaks. If A2's go to 2K I'm probably gonna part with mine. And it looks like it may happen.
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2013 at 18:33
JP offers a complete lower for $499. I placed an order for one earlier this week. And now to decide which WOA upper to put on it.

http://www.jprifles.com/1.2.2_JP15.php
mil169 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mil169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2013 at 21:01

Sparky-did they have any schedule for deliverary? I put a bid on a lower, probably went to high, but I'm still hoping to be outbid. Silly, I know, but I kind of reconsidered what I offered. Oh, well. I'll have to see how that plays out. If I don't get it, I'll have to give JP a call.

Has anyone used one of theirs?

Just curious.

Thanks
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2013 at 22:28
They did not list a delivery time frame. But I am sure it is a ways out there. And this is a complete lower just add an upper and a mag. And if you are interested I would order it on the website. It would be pure luck to get through on the phone.

I have a JP and it would be my first choice regardless of price. They are very nicely done and have a great trigger. Those are my personal feelings and I am sure others have other choices.
HuntMaster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2013 at 23:47
Originally posted by Sgt. D Sgt. D wrote:

I'm courious to see just how crazy this is gonna get before it peaks. If A2's go to 2K I'm probably gonna part with mine. And it looks like it may happen.

They are already bringing as much as $2800 here in south Al.
mil169 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mil169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2013 at 19:29
Well, it looks like am going to be the proud owner of a AR lower. It is a Delaware Machine reciever, with a RRA parts kit with standard trigger, a tac star hand grip and a DPMS collapsable stock. I hope it's nice, I think it should be.

I've been looking at uppers to pait it with and everyone talks about White Oak. There is a White Oak Armament and a White Oak Precision. Both make uppers. Someone in here referred to WOA, I'm assuming that ment White Oak Armament.

I kind of like this one:

Any thoughts, I was thinking of a 16" barrel though. This will be a plinker and varmit rifle (coyote, prairie dog).

thanks again
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2013 at 19:48
You will be happy with white oak they make excellent stuff.

Woa and wop are both the same company. Wop is higher end stuff
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
mil169 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mil169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2013 at 19:54
Thanks for the info.

Would an 18" varmit barrel be too heavy? Also, I'm thinking  a SWFA 3-9x42 mil quad would be good for this build. Any other thoughts?
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2013 at 20:10
I would not get a varmint barrel I have had 4 white oak barrels and they were all mid weight they all shoot .5moa. They make great barrels there's just no need for the extra weight.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2013 at 20:14
I would get this one or the18 in spr barrel

http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17568&cat=250&page=1

Edited by supertool73 - January/07/2013 at 10:27

Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2013 at 21:01
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

I would not get a varmint barrel I have had 4 white oak barrels and they were all mid weight they all shoot .5moa. They make great barrels there's just no need for the extra weight.

+100
Few people ever put their AR to work beyond 300yds and a standard 16 or 20 barrel has proven more that adequate even out to 500yds. in the right hands. After building several heavy guns and seeing somewhat lighter guns do very close to the same I have learned an expensive lesson. Inside 800yds heavy barrels are more or less just heavier barrels. You don't necesarily see the benefit until you start getting on out there alittle further. I have a 300wm Sendro that I carried all yr and my fartherest shot was 600yds. I hit 1.5 high and 1" left point of aim. I was pleased with the shot. The Sendro has a light varmint contour and I would have no worries taking a 1000yd shot with it. Problem is around here those shots almost never present. For varmint, plinkin and lib zombies a standard 16 or 20 is perfect.
(Note: I don't beleive in libs or zombies) Skull Wink
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2013 at 22:59
Other than aesthetics, finish, and fit to the upper, I don't believe whose name is on the lower matters very much. It can be made out of 6061, 7075, or other alloy, or even polymer. It isn't a stressed part like the bolt head/carrier assembly and barrel is. Its function is to contain the trigger group, safety selector assy, magazine, and buffer assy in alignment in relation to the upper components and provide an attachment point for the buttstock and grip. While all of the above is certainly vitally important to the overall rifle's function and ergos, mechanical strength, though desirable in all gun parts, isn't really required for function. OTOH, having reasonably tight fit to the upper at the front and rear takedown pins helps in the accuracy dept.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2013 at 08:41
Jan 22 is supposed to be the first day legislation can be introduced that is your deadline.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2013 at 10:31
One other thing to think about it the 1-7" twist.  All three of the white oak 1-7s I had would not shoot 62 grain and smaller very good.  68, 69, and 75 were all crazy accurate, but 62s and 55s shot around 2 inches at 100 yards.  Still not bad, but not like the 1/2 groups I got with the heavier match bullets.

I got a Rainier Arms match 1-8" and it shoots the 55s and 62s much better right around 1 inch and still shoots the 69s and 75s at 1/2 inch.  I am pretty sure they are Wilson barrels like WOA, and I would not be surprised at all if WOA does not chamber and profile them for Rainier. 

Just something to think about if you plan on shooting the cheaper FMJ type ammo, as you might not get good accuracy.  

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2013 at 10:37
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Supertool correct me if I'm wrong headed here, but I put the least amount of emphasis on an AR's lower, (Mil Spec or not), and more on the bolt carrier group, barrel, upper. 

BCG is the heart and soul of an AR-15/M-16.  

I've had an "out of spec" lower or 2.  The BCG of is profound importance, but is of little consequence if the manufacturer can't get the holes in the right place or make them the right diameter.

Good luck finding anything for a decent price.  If you do find something, buy it!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2013 at 16:18
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Supertool correct me if I'm wrong headed here, but I put the least amount of emphasis on an AR's lower, (Mil Spec or not), and more on the bolt carrier group, barrel, upper. 

BCG is the heart and soul of an AR-15/M-16.  

I've had an "out of spec" lower or 2.  The BCG of is profound importance, but is of little consequence if the manufacturer can't get the holes in the right place or make them the right diameter.

Good luck finding anything for a decent price.  If you do find something, buy it!

Your right, RC. 
I didn't mean to imply that the lowers quality was of NO importance, because it obviously is, I just meant that lowers didn't need to be "mil spec", bomb proof, Gucci bling-bling in order to be serviceable.  
Sorta like, but less than, my abhorrence with the term "Co Witness". Big Grin  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2013 at 16:54
We agree on all points, I just wanted to be sure everyone understood all are not created equal.

Carry on.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic