OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

AR lowers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mil169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AR lowers
    Posted: January/03/2013 at 14:22
Anyone know anything about Tactical Weapons Solutions or Delaware Machinary lowers. I've been scouting around trying to find a decent lower, but don't know anything about these two companies.

Thanks
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2013 at 14:23
if its a "mil" spec lower its probably fine.... im no expert though.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2013 at 14:54
Most mil spec lowers are g2g, some are different materials as far as the alluminum/steel.  SOme are billet, some are polymer.  I've got some of all i'd say, never had an issue with any of them.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
mil169 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mil169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2013 at 15:37
I'm new to this AR stuff. What does "g2g" mean? Any thoughts on who is a quality manufacturer other than Rock River. I know there are others, so I want to keep an eye open for them.

thanks again
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2013 at 15:39
good to go
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2013 at 15:55
Bushmaster, DPMS, Del-ton, Stag, BCM, CMMG, Seekins, YHM, Spikes tactical, Colt, RRA, S&W, and many more.  All of them make decent stuff.

Colt and the high end BCM are probably the best.  Del-Ton does MP testing on all theirs and now offers one that has a hammer forged chome lined barrel.  It is suppose to be closer in quality to the Colt.

But if you are the casual shooter like most of us, any of those brands will likely last you for ever.  I have a Del-ton that has over 15,000 rounds through it and it still works perfectly. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
mil169 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mil169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2013 at 15:59
Should have known "g2g" was casual slang. Oh, well. Most of those listed I've heard of with the exception of BCM,YHM, and Delton.

I want a lower, but don't want junk. I think with the current demand we're going to see a lot of the crap available.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2013 at 16:34
I have 4 Delton lowers, a Stag, a Bushmaster, and a couple Sun Devils.  All of them have been just fine for me.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2013 at 16:43
Supertool correct me if I'm wrong headed here, but I put the least amount of emphasis on an AR's lower, (Mil Spec or not), and more on the bolt carrier group, barrel, upper. 

BCG is the heart and soul of an AR-15/M-16.  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2013 at 16:55
I would agree with that.  I have helped friends and family build a bunch of ARs and we have used a ton of brands for lowers.  Some brands I cannot even remember and they all worked just fine.

For accuracy I think the barrel is nearly every thing.  I have had a billet upper and young mfg national match bolt carrier with a good barrel and it was not any more accurate than a regular upper and carrier with the same brand and model of barrel on the other gun.  They both shot right at .5 moa.  That is when I stopped worrying about all the uber expensive parts.  MP tested bolts with good quality barrels and I think you are good to go for most shooters.  I have 3 ARs that are just the $500 delton and JSE suprlus kits and they work wonderfully for me. 

I do believe that overall there is probably a quality diff for brands like Colt and Bravo Company's high end stuff.  But for 90% of us shooters we will never use them hard enough to benefit from it. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2013 at 16:59
Right on, ST. Good read there. 
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2013 at 17:06
Daniel Defense, Noveski, Sabre, LMT, and LWRCI are all really high end stuff as well.  Those are probably the best money can buy.

For the best milspec stuff Colt and Brovo Co are really liked. 

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2013 at 17:06
Most lower brands are fine.

There are some that are verifiable crap (Vulcan/Hesse), but most are perfectly acceptable.

ILya

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2013 at 17:09
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

There are some that are verifiable crap (Vulcan/Hesse), but most are perfectly acceptable.

ILya

I've always heard that they sucked, but I haven't ever beheld their suckiness, nor ever seen one of those. What makes them crap? 
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2013 at 17:26
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

ILya

I've always heard that they sucked, but I haven't ever beheld their suckiness, nor ever seen one of those. What makes them crap? 

They are out of spec and badly finished.

I bought a couple of Vulcan lowers several years ago when the California OLL craze started and when I tried to install a parts kit into it, I realized that without taking a file to the receiver this is not possible.

ILya
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2013 at 17:28
I've build a couple Tactical Weapons Solutions lowers and they were as good as any I've used. The last two have been Palmetto and they are as clean  as any. I use to make a big deal over milled or forged. Its a none issue. Even forged lowers are milled so unless you get a blem with casting bubbles it doesn't matter. If you can get hands on and compare to another brand before you buy thats great but, if not just look it over good for defects or rough handeling and judge for yourself. Odds are it'll be good. The way prices are rocketing up I wouldn't pass on any deals I could get my hands on. The Palmetto's I bought 4 months ago are bringing 5x what I paid.
Good luck!
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2013 at 18:02
Concur with Sarge. Take what you can get NOW. 
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2013 at 19:02
I have American Precision Arms lowers. Some very nice features to them.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2013 at 19:23
Originally posted by mil169 mil169 wrote:

Anyone know anything about Tactical Weapons Solutions or Delaware Machinary lowers. I've been scouting around trying to find a decent lower, but don't know anything about these two companies.

Thanks

Quite frankly you are way behind the power curve on buying anything to do with an AR at this point you will have to take what you can find or pay a premium price. Personally If I needed one, I would pay the premium price rather than believe that I could find all of the parts at this point, including a quality upper complete. Be that as it may Sun Devil is one of the better lowers because of the way it is made it is a tad easier to build .  A "Wolf spring kit" is nice because all the springs come labled what they are. Parts kits from Rock River, Armalite, DPMS, Bushmaster would be better than mix and match. The upper reciever is the portion that would worry me and I would want an upper complete preferably White Oak Armory upper.  At this point mags are a big problem, ammo is a big problem, reloading supplies are a big problem.  All of this tends to make me say pay the premium for what you want already built on gunbroker and be done with it if you must acquire one before they go poof.
The problem is without the mags and ammo its a paperweight.  Really at this point If I didnt have a rifle I would be more inclined to look around for a bolt action in a caliber that you can currently find ammo on the shelf in Walmart for.   If you cant get the ammo dont buy the gun.

I think the company Tactical Weapons Solutions is playing off of the reputation of http://www.tacticalsol.com/tshome/

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2013 at 19:37
Sun Devil

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic