OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope help for 338 rum

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote co tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope help for 338 rum
    Posted: December/30/2012 at 09:09
I have heard good things for the SS scopes.  I am looking for a fixed power.  Do you think the 16x or 20x?

Also any other suggestions on a scope that will hold up to a 338?
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2012 at 09:13
Welcome to Optics Talk. 

Yes, the entire SS line is rated to hold up to .50 caliber. 

I'm curious though as to your application with a fixed power. Is this rifle strictly a target use weapon? 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
co tyler View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote co tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2012 at 09:19

Yes pretty much only a bench gun.

700 action trued, B and C medalist stock, 28" krieger barrel.  Gun right now is at 14.6lbs.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2012 at 09:31
Roger that. 

I'm a fixed power advocate for bench guns in general and the SS fixed powers in particular. 

How far out do you anticipate shooting out to? And what size targets are you using? 

We here at OT typically suggest using 10x SS's, if feasible. Better field of view, less mirage than with the upper magnifications you mentioned. 
Less is more, so to speak. Wink    
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2012 at 09:35
Ive had both the 20 and the 16 and I prefer the 16 and particularly like the Mil Quad reticle. In low light any scope that is 42mm objective suffers if it is over 6x and the higher the power the more light loss it suffers.  If you ever plan to hunt this rifle 6x is nice 10x is a tad much but still useable, 16x and 20x can be used but from a fixed position with a solid rest.  I was on the range last night after sunset with the 16x and light was challenging but the 16 was still useable where a 20 would not have been.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
co tyler View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote co tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2012 at 12:49
I plan on shooting out to 1000 yards but yet I would still like to shoot 100 yards.  Basically just shooting paper and steel plates.  

What kind of elevation adjustment does the SS scopes offer?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2012 at 12:51
My old MOA 10x SS has close to 130 MOA of travel. They typically have 120, or better. 
co tyler View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote co tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2012 at 13:19
That should should be plenty with a 10moa base to reach out to a 1000.
co tyler View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote co tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2012 at 13:21

Are the optics on the Sightron 20x42 SIII Riflescope better than the 20x SS? 

338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2012 at 14:50
I suggest you not get the 20x in either brand.

12x if you have to go over 10x...

16x doesn't compare to a 10x in clarity or crispness.

the magnification increase or gain does not mean you will be able to shoot more precisely
No one
co tyler View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote co tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2013 at 10:31

10x power can you see out to 1000 yards?  I would not think you would need more power for the long range.

Do you have any suggestions for base and rings? 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2013 at 11:58
I'd advise you go with a picattiny rail and tactical style rings.

Seekins low rings wold be great and a Badger Ord rail. EGW rail, if money is tight. 

There's many a few ring manufacturers. Addmount rings are considered excellent, by many here as well.   
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic