OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Elite vs Monarch vs Big Sky

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Elite vs Monarch vs Big Sky
    Posted: December/29/2012 at 18:26
I need a new scope for my whitetail rifle, shots to 300 yards max. We have antler restrictions and must verify # of points on 1 antler beam here in Pennsylvania before pulling the trigger. With that said, which of the 3 models below has the clearest optics for viewing detail.

Bushnell Elite 4-16x 40mm with AO.   I know that these are extremely "bright" scopes. (I've looked through my friends)

Nikon Monarch 3-12x 42 mm with SF.   Side focus is easier to adjust from a shoulder mounted position.

Sightron SII Big Sky 3-12x 42mm with AO.   I don't know much about the 1" tube series of Sightrons.

All opinions welcome and will be considered. 

Fredfrankbob View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fredfrankbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2012 at 23:07
My Big Sky II is right there with my Bushnell 4200, while I am not sure if the glass in the new elites is better, worse or the same as the old 4200's, I would say the scope below would suit you just fine and it is on closeout for a smokin price, although it is only 10x, for 300 yards that should be no problem.  And for large game 300 yard shots, I would not concern myself with side focus, IMO.

http://swfa.com/Sightron-35-10x42-SII-Big-Sky-Riflescope-P9159.aspx
Blackbird View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2012 at 01:10
I appreciate your reply, but I just got rid of a Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x 44mm with no AO or Side Focus because it wasn't clear past 200 yards. I definately need either a SF or AO.
M7025-06 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M7025-06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2012 at 09:54
I've got 3 4200's (all 3 are 3-9x40's) and love 'em.  One of the 4200's replaced a Buckmaster that I wasn't impressed with at all.  The Rainguard is a big plus if you run into some wet weather.

bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2012 at 16:03
Originally posted by Blackbird Blackbird wrote:

I appreciate your reply, but I just got rid of a Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x 44mm with no AO or Side Focus because it wasn't clear past 200 yards. I definately need either a SF or AO.

That's interesting...none of the several Conquests I've had or looked through displayed that. The three scopes you've listed are all good...the Monarch is my least favorite though. If you definitely want SF or AO, I personally like SF better on hunting rigs. It's just easier than turning a front ring...IMO.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2012 at 17:08
Originally posted by bugsNbows bugsNbows wrote:

That's interesting...none of the several Conquests I've had or looked through displayed that. The three scopes you've listed are all good...the Monarch is my least favorite though. If you definitely want SF or AO, I personally like SF better on hunting rigs. It's just easier than turning a front ring...IMO.

Yes, side focus is indeed better...IF your a right handed shooter. If your one of "us", then "we" prefer AO's or rear focus.  Big Grin 

Also, the Monarch is a decent scope, but I don't like the 3-12x. I think the 2.5-10x Monarch is a better all around scope. 
The extra large, mondo ocular housing, can interfere with certain rifles bolt lift.  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2012 at 17:54

I really prefer a scope without an AO or SF for hunting.

How did you set you scope up once it was mounted? Did you adjust the diopter at all?
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2012 at 19:40
I think all three scopes are very comparable, though I really like the Rain Guard feature. I guess it boils down to which features are most important to you, price and possibly brand loyalty. I'd feel comfortable having any of these three on my rig.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2012 at 19:40
Guess I am like some of the other guys. I have a couple of 2.5-10x40 4200'S, a 2-16x42 6500 w/ sf , a Conquest 3.5-10x44, Monarch UCC 6x42 and a Conquest 4.5-14x44 sf .

I am by no means an expert or even close. But I hunt a fair amount. The 3.5-10x44 (ZRF reticle)Conquest is about the best scope I have and I have shot at 400+ yrds in the rain with it. I am no big time range shooter or anything but think the 3.5-10x44 is a dang good scope at long ranges. I have shot some 300 yrd targets many times. Given that, I like my 4.5-14x44 ZRF reticle Conquest on my .223  the best(can't tell you exactly why....might be the whole package of gun/scope,etc.). I like the power range, I like the clarity of the scope , I just like it...........the 3.5-10x44 is brighter in low light though by a noticable amount.

I like my Bushnell's too.........the rainguard is great.They are awesome in low light with the firefly reticle. I think the Big Sky has a hydrophobic coating on them too. I just put my 6500 w/mil-dot on my .30-06 and will leave to go on a hunt Wed. so I am looking forward to putting some field time in with it.

I have a Monarch 6x42 on my black powder rifle and it's a great scope. The reticle is pretty thin but the glass is super in low light.........a great scope!

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.
Blackbird View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2012 at 20:31
Originally posted by Sparky Sparky wrote:

I really prefer a scope without an AO or SF for hunting.

How did you set you scope up once it was mounted? Did you adjust the diopter at all?

The reticle was focused perfectly sharp, black and clear to my eye. When I would view a standing deer at 200-300 yards on 10x, the resolution just wasn't clear. I believe if it would have had either SF or an AO I would have been able to focus it to the object I was viewing. Since verifying that a buck is legal to harvest, I must have a scope with excellent resolution at ranges out to 300 yards. 
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2012 at 21:27
That's what I use binocs for. A good 10x binoc will always be better than a rifle scope.
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
Fredfrankbob View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fredfrankbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2012 at 21:36
Originally posted by biggreen747 biggreen747 wrote:

That's what I use binocs for. A good 10x binoc will always be better than a rifle scope.

What he said. I was gonna say it earlier but not trying to tell you what to do here, IMO, spotting with a scope and screwing with the magnification and SF is gonna cause you more aggravation than just using a good pair of bino's.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic