OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Zeiss Conquest or Sightron Big Sky

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zeiss Conquest or Sightron Big Sky
    Posted: December/28/2012 at 15:06
I have read through so many reviews and searches my head is spinning between these 2 scopes! Due to the good deals on SWFA I want to buy one today and take advantage of the rebates. Problem is I cannot actually look at a Sightron in person. I have looked through the Zeiss numerous times and really love the clarity. I have also owned a higher end Zeiss before and loved it (really regret selling it). Times are tighter now so really am only looking to buy one of these 2 scopes. Here is the only thing I seem to separate the two:

Sightron Big Sky - Zact 7, hydrophobic coating, great warranty and $100 less, more critical eye box?

Zeiss - it is the only one I have actually looked through but doesn't have a hydrophobic coating, $100 more and I am worried about the fast focus eyepiece with butler creek caps

Anyone have/had both of these and can tell me why one is better than the other? I am going crazy at this point trying to decide. I can't afford to buy both at this time so that option is out...

Thanks!!!!
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2012 at 15:13
I have both brands and I can't tell the difference in "glass" and build quality. IMO the Zeiss is over priced for what your getting.
eas View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2012 at 15:27
Thanks Rustic. Do you have the Big Sky or SIII?
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2012 at 15:34
I think the Zeiss Conquest is a step above the Sightron Big Sky or the SIII. But they are both good scopes. Here is a link to an older scope rating scale.

http://www.opticstalk.com/topic16515&KW=scope+rating_post194417.html#194417
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2012 at 15:42
I'd have to rate the Big Sky very close behind the Conquest. I have both and they work most excellently. I'd get the one with the best deal.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
eas View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2012 at 15:59
This is great info!!! I am seriously considering getting them both now. I just hate rebates....Does the Hydrophobic coating on the Big Sky work really well in rain?
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2012 at 16:38
Originally posted by eas eas wrote:

Thanks Rustic. Do you have the Big Sky or SIII?

I have two of these.

http://swfa.com/Sightron-35-10x42-SII-Big-Sky-Riflescope-P9159.aspx

Nice value
cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2012 at 18:15
If the Big Sky is that close to a Conquest and has hydrophobic coatings........for the money it's got to be the better deal !
I liked Conquests so much I sold all of my alpha class scopes to get better rifles and add a rifle. I have two rifles now with Bushnell 4200's and I am truly suprised at how well they do ! In most conditions they work as well as I would ever need.  I also have two rifles now with Conquests and they do great too !!Heck, I have one with a Nikon Monarch 6x42 thats pretty dang awesome too !
 I don't need a scope right now, but if I did the Big Sky looks like a great value .....especially at these close out prices !! Kind of kick'n myself for not picking up a Big Sky 6x42(or two) while they were so cheap !

Edited by cbm - December/28/2012 at 18:20
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2012 at 19:15
I have 3 Big Sky, a 3-9, 3-12, and a 24x. The 3-9 and 3-12 get used pretty hard and have held up well. The 3-x are the easiest scope to get behind I have ever used. I have also used the Conquest (one of my friends has one on a 30-06) and it too is an excellent scope. So much so that I just ordered one because they offer a #4 reticle which is my favorite for hunting dark timber for elk.
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
eas View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2012 at 19:34
I really appreciate all the good info and it is nice to hear it from folks who actually own/use quality optics. Sometimes you read info on reviews and wonder if some people know what they are talking about or just never used anything more than $40 scope with camo on it before. Not so here! I am really glad I found this forum.

At the moment all of the Rapid Z reticles are sold out for the rebate but I am strongly considering ordering both scopes (Big Sky and Zeiss with #4). They both sound like great scopes for the money. Eye relief is important for me and although I really like using 4200's I am just tired of climbing on the stock to see anymore. I live in NC and where I am I really don't have many shots over 450yds, which is why I think a 3-9 or 3.5-10 should be plenty.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2012 at 22:18
I have owned both.  Glass is close with a slight edge to the Conquest.  Sightrons have excellent tracking, while the Zeiss has the advantage of constant eye relief (the Sightron varies, but only a little).

Both are solid.
-Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic