OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Savage 10 FCP HS Precision

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2012 at 23:33
Well lets look at this way, my 10x has 137 MOA. When mounted on a flat base(old one) it had about 67.5 Minutes of "up" left in the erector. Which at my elevation, with my bullet and load, was enough to get my 300 WSM past 1500 yards...And transonic, BTW. 
If 500 is longest you will ever pursue with this scope, yes a flat base will be more than enough. (But that also takes into consideration that the scope is in "normal" specs as far as being inline with the bore of the rifle.)
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
M1Thumb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M1Thumb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2012 at 23:51
Tracking with what you are saying - only reason I say 300 yd limit for now is finding a place to safely shoot further at locally.

and when we say "normal" specs meaning the the scope centerline is as close to the bore centerline in the vertical aspect correct?
Geo-spatially speaking you missed :o)
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2012 at 06:50
Yes... But also that the center-lines of the scope and rifle are parallel. Because a scope has two round tubes, the main tube and the erector. If you have to dial a lot of wind-age, during sight-in, that might limit vertical travel. With all things considered on these scopes a 20 minute rail comes down to preference. Kind of like a insurance policy. but they also don't usually cost any more than than a flat rail...
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2012 at 09:53
If you want to keep the mount cost down use Talley lightweight ringmounts. If you want a rail use the Talley it is just as good but the cost is less.  rings can be one of several manufacturers Badger, Seekins, TPS, Talley, Nightforce, US Optics, Aadland and the list goes on the best ones in my opinion are Badger Ordnance they are made in the same shop as GAPrecision tactical rifles in north Kansas City.  The others I mentioned are all prety darn good and even the Warne rings which are way cheaper seem to me to work well and I have several pairs of them and like them. 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2012 at 18:03
I have used Warne rings and have not had any problems what so ever. But the other choices that Urimaginaryfrd mentioned are nicer.
M1Thumb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M1Thumb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2012 at 01:16
The Warne and Talley look pretty good - yes trying to hold the cost down a bit - lot of good input from everyone and as I said i do appreciate it.

Now it is the process of looking at the various things such as recticles and rying to learn what is what - have jumped before on stuff and got burned for being to impilsive so forcing myself to read twice ask twice and purchase once. Smile

M1Thumb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M1Thumb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2012 at 01:45
Well shucky darn - I done went and looked into FFP scopes......Whacko

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2012 at 06:39
If your only going to shoot out to 500yds, I wouldn't worry about a 20MOA base. I shoot out to 600yds and haven't needed more than 15 1/2 MOA to get there (depending on temp., humidity, etc.), so most any scope will have enough elevation to get you to 500yds.
I went with a 2 piece bases and I believe Burris rings. I kept everything steel, but I can't remember who made the bases (long time ago).
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
M1Thumb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M1Thumb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2012 at 21:37
Yup figured for now the STD base would work

Ran across a nice picatinny rail at Cabelas today for 44 bucks so snagged it - torn between the SS scope and the Vortex FFP
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2012 at 22:24
Look at TPS rings.  They are of excellent quality, and are reasonably priced.  They also make reticle levelling easier with having a gap only milled into one side of the ring.

My last five ringsets have been TPS, and all have been great.
-Matt
M1Thumb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M1Thumb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2012 at 22:32
Yup sorta settled on the TPS rings - gotta get them on order.

Tried out a FFP scope today - shouldnt have now I have settled on wanting a FFP - looking at the Vortex.

Either way have a bit of time the Pacific Northwest is crappy rain this time of the year and my old bones dont like getting out in it so have a bit of time to zero in on a scope and get it ordered.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2012 at 22:46
Early on in this thread i showed you a FFP Viper 4-16.  Here is the deal though:  with a fixed power its always the same so it does not matter if its first or second focal plane.  With a variable it matters but there are up sides and down sides to bothe FFP and 2FP.  The value of FFP is that you can mil dot rangefind at any power or that you can use known marks for hold over at any power.  The down side of FFP is that at the lower powers the reticle is very small and fine sometimes difficult to use. You might as well just spend the money to get a good quality one because if you dont you will replace what you get with a good quality one later on. These two are very nice I use both of them and a Leupold Mk4 FFP scope and like them a lot.
SWFA SS HD 5-20x50 Tactical 30mm Riflescope SWFA SS HD 5-20x50 Tactical 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - SSHD520X50MQ
  • Patented First Focal Plane Mil-Quad Reticle
  • 30mm
  • HD Model
  • Locking Ocular Adjustment
  • 0.1 Mrad Elevation & Windage
  • 10 Mils Per Revolution
  • 30 Mils Of Total Travel
  • Side Focus
$1,299.95
SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical 30mm Riflescope SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - SS39X42MQ
  • Matte
  • Patented First Focal Plane Mil-Quad Reticle
  • 30mm
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 0.1 MRAD
$599.95 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
M1Thumb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M1Thumb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2012 at 23:15
Urimaginaryfrnd,

Yup you did - and had to research the FFP - cannot swing the 1300 clams at the moment - ergo I shied away from it right off the bat - so after doing some research and reading I arrived at the decision to save for the FFP - I think I have been through every thread on scope comparisons and reviews and what not - have learned to read ask questions and if ya dont understand ask!!

Everyone on the forum has been very helpful - time to s*** or get off the pot as they say Excellent
M1Thumb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M1Thumb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2012 at 23:18
Oh went around today and spent time looking through scopes today - yes optics over magnification !!!!
tarheelpwr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tarheelpwr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2013 at 10:30
Keep in mind, Vortex is putting out a 2.5-10 FFP Viper PST this spring:

Vortex 2.5-10x32 Viper PST 30mm Rifle ScopeVortex 2.5-10x32 Viper PST 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - VORPST43104
  • Matte
  • Illuminated EBR-1 MRAD
  • First Focal Plane
  • 30mm
$799.95
Vortex 2.5-10x32 Viper PST 30mm Rifle ScopeVortex 2.5-10x32 Viper PST 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - VORPST43103
  • Matte
  • Illuminated EBR-1 MOA
  • First Focal Plane
  • 30mm
$799.95
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2013 at 10:40
TPS are great rings, for the money, no doubt. They can be hard to acquire at times, due to insufficient production versus demand levels. I have or have had several pairs. I love them and have recommended them often. 

If that's the case, I'd highly recommend the Seekins rings. I am blown away at the quality of these rings and the recoil lug. 
Lighter then steel, but very strong. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2013 at 19:00
First, congratulations on a very nice rifle.

I used to think or even talk bad about savages until I bought 1 than another than another than another...Well you get my drift.  The old one I had was 20 years old and dare I say was maybe never a shooter.  All the new stuff has been very nice.

I will say that @ 300 you will be loving life.

They are superbly accurate and are very different and surprising in the trigger pull department.

1 suggestion would be a MIL-DOT style reticle.

I might also suggest starting at the 10x range I again believe you can do a lot with a 10X.

No one
M1Thumb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M1Thumb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2013 at 15:04
THX 338

Have a few handloads set up just no scope to stick on it a waiting on SWFA to get my scope to me and the mounting rings 

Ordered a Vortex PST FFP 6 - 24 x 50  Mil Dot
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2013 at 15:12
ENJOY, the PST is a great lower dollar scope.

You will love the many features it has.

CoolThe set-up will be hard to see your shots as they will possibly be in the same hole Wink
No one
M1Thumb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M1Thumb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2013 at 15:35
I hope! first rds I have reloaded since 1984 - still anal though every round gets measured with calipers before and after loading - every charge weighed - every primer gets checked......

dont know about low dollar the scope cost a few clams!!!! gotta eat beans and cornbread for a bit.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic