OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Savage 10 FCP HS Precision

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M1Thumb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Savage 10 FCP HS Precision
    Posted: December/27/2012 at 20:14
Hey all newbie to the OT site - not to shooting.

So bought my "Happy Birthday To Me" today Savage 10 FCP HS Precision .308 Win - been out of target shooting for quite a few years so have some questions:

1. Recommendation on load / bullet / procedure for new barrel break in

2. Scope - undecided on variable or fixed power

3. Mounts - 1 piece or 2 piece ( yes aware of bedding the mounts )

Realitically will be be shooting 300 yds - if I can find longer range will eventually want to go there but for now max range probably 300 yds

Yes have used the search Whacko

Thanks for any input

Rick
Geo-spatially speaking you missed :o)
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2012 at 20:46
Cool I recently bought a Savage 10 FCP SR  .308  and the scope I put on it is the Super Sniper fixed power 16x42 .  For anyone to really recommend what would be right for you we probably need to hear a bit more about how it will be used. Will you be using this to hunt with.  Will it be a law enforcement gun. Will it be primarily daylight range use. Will the scope need to be good in low light. Do you like target or tactical knobs or hunting type knobs. What is your price range. 
SWFA SS 16x42 Tactical Riflescope SWFA SS 16x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS16X42MQ
  • Matte Finish
  • Patented Mil-Quad Reticle
  • 30mm Tube
  • Rear Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
  • .10 Mrad
$299.95

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2012 at 20:49
Talley 1 Piece Base Talley 1 Piece Base
Stock # - PSM252725
  • Savage Short Action w/ Accutrigger
  • Matte
  • 20 MOA
$54.95 
Warne 25in/lb T-15 Torque Wrench Warne 25in/lb T-15 Torque Wrench
Stock # - TW1
$21.95 
Warne Maxima Permanent Attach 30mm Rings Warne Maxima Permanent Attach 30mm Rings
Stock # - 214G
  • Gloss
  • Medium (.375")
$44.95

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2012 at 20:51
Badger Ordnance Max-50 Scope 30mm Rings Badger Ordnance Max-50 Scope 30mm Rings
Stock # - 30611
  • Matte
  • Standard Height (.823")
$176.95 
Badger Ordnance Maximized Scope 1 Piece Rail Badger Ordnance Maximized Scope 1 Piece Rail
Stock # - 30606SAT
  • Savage 10 Short Action w/ Accutrigger
  • Savage 12 Short Action w/ Accutrigger
  • Savage 14 Short Action w/ Accutrigger
  • Savage 16 Short Action w/ Accutrigger
  • Matte
  • 20 MOA
$156.95 

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2012 at 20:55
These are the mid priced ones if you want better there is a lot to pick from but these are pretty good.
Weaver 4-20x50 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope Weaver 4-20x50 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - WEA800380
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Side Focus
  • 0.1 MIL
  • First Focal Plane Reticle
$774.95 
Vortex 4-16x50 Viper PST 30mm Rifle Scope Vortex 4-16x50 Viper PST 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - PST416F1M
  • Matte
  • EBR-1 Mil Reticle
  • 30mm
  • First Focal Plane Reticle
  • .10 Mil Adjustments
$899.95 
Vortex 4-16x50 Viper PST 30mm Rifle Scope Vortex 4-16x50 Viper PST 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - PST416S1M
  • Matte
  • EBR-1 Mil Reticle
  • 30mm
  • .10 Mil Adjustments
$699.95 

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
M1Thumb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M1Thumb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2012 at 23:55
1. Primary use is paper punching / target shooting - if things go south perhaps hunting for food - military style knobs are fine by me.

2. Primary daylight - range or gravel pit

3. Tactical knobs

4. Leaning hard towards the SS scope 12x or 16x to start with and wait to find a sale price on a Viper scope or comparible. Can always move it to the M1A NM later or the Garand and get a different vari power for the Savage - have semi autos and wanted a good bolt gun.

5. The recticle on the scope is one I am not sure of - pretty much been a iron sights guy but the old eyes are not what they used to be. Shot DCM back in the early 80's.

6. Difference between the Badger rings compared to another style.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2012 at 07:43
I had good luck with 43grs of WW 748, and 175gr SMK in WW case with a Federal 210M primer.
Took about 200 rounds before it really started shooting really well. I used Bore Shine to clean after every shooting session.

Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2012 at 10:10
I like the SS 12X a bit more than the 16X, more universal
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
M1Thumb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M1Thumb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2012 at 13:29
BeltFed,

Figured around that number before the bore is smoothed out - what is best 10 rd string and then a wet patch or 2 with copper remover or just CLP?

Heat cycle on the barrel?

BTW you in the western part of the state or elsewheres?

SVT_Tactial,

Due to mirage or just an overall preference?

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2012 at 13:40
I'd shoot 5 shot groups while working up loads, and didn't get in a hurry. May shoot about 50 rounds before I was done for the day, then I'd shoot Bore Shine in the bore and leave it over night, then clean with patches. Kept using patches until they came out clean, then used TetraGun bore treatment, I never used a brush.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
M1Thumb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M1Thumb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2012 at 13:52
BeltFed,

Thanks for the info - still have to get a scope for it and mounts - have an old scope or 2 laying around that I could throw on just for barrel break in so it is more of an issue of getting the mounts.

Not going to worry about working up a load just yet figured on using some light loads to break in and then work on a load for it.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2012 at 14:10
Overall performance. 

I have a 16X SS on one of my favorite guns, love it.  But if lights not good its not the best time to use it.  A 12X opens up the window to use it in less than optimal light with less detriment to the overal sight picture in my mind.  12X is sufficient enough for all you'll  need at 300 yds as well. 
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
M1Thumb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M1Thumb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2012 at 00:49
Yup was playing around with an old tasco I used on a 22 mag that goes to 18x and went from 12x to 18x and did not notice that much difference so yup 12x SS scope will probably be what I go for as a first scope for the weapon - provided we still have them a few months from.....

Any rate thoughts on the mounts?

Single or double? Single seemslikely to be less issuse with lateral alignment.

What about the difference in rings pros / cons of one type over anothe??
M1Thumb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M1Thumb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2012 at 01:14
Urimaginaryfrnd pointed out some mounts and rings earlier in the thread but am curious why one is better than the other - was going back and trying to figure out the pro/con of the ones he pointed out

I appreciate all the input from everyone Excellent
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2012 at 07:08
The Badgers that have been shown, are steel. and are going to be the epitome of strength. They are also heavy. I have a set of their standard rings on my 300WSM Savage, but mounted them to a IOR steel rail.

My suggestion would be a quality one piece a rail and rings from Seekins. These products are very robust, and have a great fit and finish.
http://swfa.com/Savage-C3434.aspx
http://swfa.com/Seekins-Precision-Scope-30mm-Rings-P47911.aspx
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
M1Thumb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M1Thumb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2012 at 19:00
Ah well if the old .308 kicks like me old Stevens Mod 155 .45/70 I am gonna need more than steel to keep things in place. :o)

THX for the options - been putting everything into a single document to sort out stuff and am at the over thunking it phase Loco 

pretty much settled on either the SS 12x or 16x for the scope - just gotta sort the rings out going with picatiny rail mount 20 MOA base.

THX billyburl2

Rick
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2012 at 22:37
Originally posted by M1Thumb M1Thumb wrote:

pretty much settled on either the SS 12x or 16x for the scope - just gotta sort the rings out going with picatiny rail mount 20 MOA base.

Rick

Just an FYI. Both the 12x and the 16x have a lot of adjustment, so you should not need a 20MOA base.
M1Thumb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M1Thumb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2012 at 23:05
Sparky,

That is what I was curious about - initially most of my shooting is going to be at 300 or less yards - later I would like to take it out to 500 or more and figured that is where the 20 MOA would be needed.

THX
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2012 at 23:13
The SS scopes have over 120 Minutes of internal elevation. So even stretching an old gray mare like a 308 is usually not a problem.Bucky
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
M1Thumb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M1Thumb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2012 at 23:24
billyburl2,

So your saying dont worry with the 20 MOA base??
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic